Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:27 AM

5 posts, read 12,018 times

Advertisements

My wife just got job at Yale university in new haven. We have a high school girl. Where should/could we live . We have a housing budget of up to 500,000.00. The commute can't be more than 30 min. Our daughter will go to public school and we want to keep property taxes low. We like ranch style homes and a real neighborhood. If she gets a scholarship at Hamden hall in new haven she may go there. Shoreline communities like Branford, Madison etc. Or Hamden or Wallingford? Is new haven safe enough for us? Is fairfield too far?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 10:34 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
What do you mean a "real neighborhood"?

I think we need to know more about your preferences. Rural or urban, or inbetween? Coastal or inland/woodsy?

What are your wife's hours? 9-5 or otherwise?

Fairfield is a bit far and I'm not sure what the point would be to live there when you'd be paying a premium for a commute in the opposite direction (Stamford/NYC). Fairfield is more expensive than the towns in greater New Haven because of its proximity to Stamford/NYC. I don't recommend it given your criteria.

Some towns I generally recommend in the New Haven area include Orange, Woodbridge, Milford, North Haven, Branford, Guilford and Madison. I've never been a big fan of Hamden, but it's not bad. IMO you can do better with your budget. As far as New Haven proper, there are certainly nice neighborhoods that are relatively safe if you like urban, but the property taxes are very high compared to surrounding towns. Also, high schools are iffy, so you might want to go private school from there.

I can make a better recommendation with more info. I also suggest you visit all these places before making a decision.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:58 AM

Homes that are not a mile apart. Where u can go outside walk the dog and talk to your neighbors.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:08 AM

You see a lot of those types of neighborhoods in closer knit communities like Milford, Branford and Hamden. And some areas of Orange, North Haven and Guilford.

Still don't have enough info to make a solid recommendation though.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:17 AM

Oops not a thorough answer. We love coastal. However inland might be considered for right commute and house . Don't like to keep up alot of land. Wife hours are 9 to 5 with some late hours? We like Madison and guilford but is it commutable to Yale? She would have to take 95 right or are there back roads. How much would we have to spend for a renovated 4 bedroom 3 1/2 bathroom home? We prefer one floor home. We have three small dogs. We don't have the energy to remodel. Is there any new construction for sale and could we afford it? We would like a town with a green like guilford or madison. What is the thought on Branford? Could we ever afford a house with a walk to water? How about the summer people phenomenon? We suffer from that here during the winter and everyone one on our street leave in April and flock back nov and January . We would like a neighborhood with full time people. The public schools on y
The shoreline??

Old 10-29-2011, 11:33 AM

Do some searches on Realtor.com.

Have you been to Guilford and Madison? Lots are bigger there and I'm not sure how easy it is to find those tightly knit, friendly communities like you describe. You're looking at primarily acre lots and larger colonials. You can find nice ranches on smaller lots around $300,000 though. They are great towns, a bit far from major shopping and quieter. Madison is the most expensive and lots tend to be bigger. It's also the furthest out, so despite the great schools it wouldn't be a top reco for me.

Branford is a bit more lively, closer knit, and more affordable. Schools are solid.

Milford is also lively, great downtown, tons of shopping and restaurants nearby. Schools aren't as highly rated as Guilford/Madison but I know several people that have been very happy with the high schools, especially Foran High. The lower test scores have a lot to do with more economic diversity and a bigger population, but I've heard nothing but positive things.

Both Branford and Milford have greens. I can speak for the Milford green having tons of activity, especially during the summer - there's always events happening from art shows to parades to holiday celebrations. Almost weekly during the warm months. Both have lots of nice homes on smaller lots, especially in the southern parts near the water. Branford has gorgeous harbors with the Thimble Islands, while Milford has a nice harbor of its own and many beaches (the most shoreline of any CT town).

I'd look in Branford and Milford and be open to the right house in Guilford.

Inland, I'd check out Orange and North Haven. Easy commutes and you can find what you're looking for in certain neighborhoods. They're also very convenient to a lot of things. Orange shares the very highly rated Amity High School (rated one of the top in the state) with Woodbridge and Bethany. I can't recommend Woodbridge or Bethany though as they're very rural with homes on big lots.

Commutes are reasonable from all suggested towns. The only time it gets really bad is during the summer with summer traffic. That's when a Madison commute might be tough, but we're only talking Friday afternoon - not enough to really sway a big decision like this.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:28 PM

720 posts, read 1,709,734 times
Dtr lives in Guilford (north Guilford) and loves it. Safe, nice neighbors, lots of activities, town lake, also town beach on the sound. Schools are good. I grew up in Milford, believe you could get a house within walking distance to the water, lots of close-knit neighborhoods there. I think the Milford commute via 95 would be easier, from Guilford you have that congested section east of New Haven. Milford has a beautiful Green, very active community. Can't speak to the schools, not up on that. And I'll put in a plug for my town, Beacon Falls. Straight shot down rt 63 to New Haven, Granddaughter is in high school, great academics, sports, etc. Also, the kids are NICE to each other---it's very close knit. I chaperoned a trip to Wales/England in the spring-----good kids. Unfortunately, we're not on the coast.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:04 PM

Nice kids are important. I know what you mean. Any thoughts on this topic for the shoreline communities? A close knit community that would be welcoming to new comers and kids. We have found here in Florida that the sandbox kids are very established and don't care to get to know any new comers. This includes the parents. Pecking order already determined. Little interest in the new.

Old 10-29-2011, 03:29 PM

Milford and Branford are very down to earth in my experience. I would think in a town like Madison there will be more status concern among the kids which you might not want.

I also got a very warm welcome from several neighbors when I moved to Milford. Everything from a friendly introduction to an offer from an older guy up the street to use anything he owns (tools, etc) whenever I need it.

Old 10-31-2011, 04:53 AM

23 posts, read 31,563 times
I lived in a great neighborhood in Milford - everyone out walking all the time! Great beaches, great neighbors and affordable waterfront. Schools are good and New Haven is really close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut