Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2012, 12:03 PM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiree2011 View Post
Thanks for the info. I saw Shake Shack on the news last night. I will try Prime 16 when I do my downtown day and maybe try a shake at the Shack.
Good plan.

Check out the British museum too. It's free and very nice. The main museum won't be opening with its expansion until December.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 08:02 PM

158 posts, read 198,738 times
I think many people think that the bigger score for downtown New Haven is the Gateway Community College project.
The new 2 block structure just opened earlier this month. While we never should have lost our New Haven Coliseum nearby, the Gateway College is monumental on two levels:

1) It is a clear statement to the region that we have a high tech campus ready to generate skiiled employees to support the growing bio tech and healthcare companies in New Haven. It also nurtures a growth pipeline for nearby workers and residences to continue their education by attending Gateway simply due to the convenience.

2) We will see some additional nearby businesses that open and stay strong due to the influx of students at all hours 6 days per week, and the college staff.

Finally, some have called the new Gateway College campus the most significant project in a generation. I can be sold on that. But, also the future addition of the new 100 College St building that will house the Alexion pharmaceutical company HQ and the completion of the Farmington Canal trail downtown will also be significant.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:46 AM

Chipotle opening in January
No such thing as too many burritos « 06520

Also heard a Panera Bread is going in on that same block. They'd join Shake Shack in a rehabilitated lower Green.

Major apartment building proposed for Chapel West by Stamford developer:
53,000 Square-Foot Chapel West Plan Pitched | New Haven Independent

Old 09-23-2012, 10:18 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Major apartment building proposed for Chapel West by Stamford developer:
53,000 Square-Foot Chapel West Plan Pitched | New Haven Independent
From what i've seen in Stamford that was built by RMS, i'd pass on this proposal if i were New Haven.

Old 09-23-2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
From what i've seen in Stamford that was built by RMS, i'd pass on this proposal if i were New Haven.
It does look like the typical ugly Stamford building.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:06 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,166,978 times
You guys are laughable with all your Stamford hating. There are a lot of well built attractive apartments in the city- certainly much better stock than New Haven.

Old 09-23-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
You guys are laughable with all your Stamford hating. There are a lot of well built attractive apartments in the city- certainly much better stock than New Haven.
I'll take historic over the new architecture popping up in Stamford any day.

I won't disagree that Stamford has better apartment stock, it does - it's just characterless.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:56 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,858,935 times
Quote:
You guys are laughable with all your Stamford hating. There are a lot of well built attractive apartments in the city.
I was specifically addressing properties developed by RMS in Stamford. To be more specific, the "River Edge" townhouse complex in Stamford that is located adjacent to St. John's cemetery in Darien is the one that spurred my comment.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:27 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
I'm glad you said it and not me.

Old 09-26-2012, 11:03 AM

837 posts, read 2,082,385 times
Stamford is a very attractive city, and the countless residential communities are very high-end.

New Haven might not attract the same caliber (in both quality and quantity) of apartments, condos, etc., but the city itself offers more culture for its residents. Arts, Entertainment, Dining, etc. There's also a tradeoff with employment, that unless you are in Healthcare or Education, New Haven/New Haven County is not near Stamford/Fairfield County in terms of job opportunities.

I think it boils down to a person's preference. I know that some people like the high-brow living of Stamford and don't really care about the culture (and the proximity to NYC allows them to satisfy their culutral cravings). On the other hand, others who are OK with the lower cost of living and high amounts of "culutral return" will probably better appreciate New Haven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut