Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 08:15 AM

3 posts, read 5,706 times

Advertisements

My husband just got a job in South Windsor, CT and we will be moving in the next few months. I am looking for some advice on places to live. We will need to rent for the first couple of years, but we are hoping to rent a single family home, if possible. It looks like South Windsor is probably out of our price range as we don't really want to spend much more than $1700 per month. We are moving from NC, so let me know if I am just being unrealistic here.
Our top priorities are schools and safety. My husband probably doesn't want more than a 30 minute commute.
Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 09:44 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Try Manchester and Vernon. Both are nice middle class towns with a number of rentals to choose from. You should be able to find something in your price range there. Jay

Old 12-13-2012, 10:22 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_and_j View Post
It looks like South Windsor is probably out of our price range as we don't really want to spend much more than $1700 per month. We are moving from NC, so let me know if I am just being unrealistic here.
Our top priorities are schools and safety.
How many bedrooms do you need, and are your kids old enough for school yet?

Old 12-13-2012, 10:32 AM

My daughter will be starting kindergarten next fall, so we really want to get her started with a great school. I had heard that Manchester schools weren't so great? I was hoping for 3 bedrooms.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:14 PM

65 posts, read 133,784 times
We were faced with the same decision about 15 months ago. Selected Willington based on all the houses we looked at, lower mill rate, and school quality.

Glad we made the decision, we love it. I commute into Hartford daily, but it's no big deal since I don't really have to be at work for any specific time. It usually takes me 30-33 minutes, but there are times where it is longer because of snow / ice / accidents, etc.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:15 PM

Sorry I missed the schools part.

Forget what I said. For good schools I would recommend Glastonbury or South Windsor but because thesre towns are desirable prices are high. You might try Tolland, Ellington and Bolton. I am not sure what types of rentals you will find but $1,700 per month for a house in a town with good schools is not a lot here. Jay

Old 12-13-2012, 01:30 PM

7,372 posts, read 14,678,559 times
If school is a priority then south windsor. Maybe rent a condo instead of a house on your budget. Manchester schools arent bad but they arent good, just average in my opinion. You may consider vernon, as the schools are slightly better than manchester or so i have been told. Just try not to move into the rockville section

Old 12-13-2012, 01:45 PM

Thanks for the information. Yikes. I'm stressing out a bit over the cost of living. I'll start looking into condos in South Windsor. My husband was hoping for a garage. Can you recommend any "quiet" condo/townhouse communities that have garages?

Old 12-13-2012, 02:13 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Check out the rental listings on Realtor.com. There are a some 3 bedroom single-family houses in South Windsor, Glastonbury, Enfield, Andover etc for $1700 or less. You can pick the towns on the east side of the river to simplify the commute. You don't have to settle for a condo, but I don't think the moderator will let me post specific listings.

Old 12-14-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Check out the rental listings on Realtor.com. There are a some 3 bedroom single-family houses in South Windsor, Glastonbury, Enfield, Andover etc for $1700 or less. You can pick the towns on the east side of the river to simplify the commute. You don't have to settle for a condo, but I don't think the moderator will let me post specific listings.
You can post listings off realtor.com as long as you are not an agent or seller. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut