Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 01:28 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
Oh oh, I think whomever said that this is probably the most positive thread Nep has ever created spoke a little too soon. I'm beginning to notice a change in the tide with that last post...
Haha no kidding! Like the proverbial switch was thrown...now FFC bad and expensive, not like Hartford
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2013, 01:59 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Actually, to answer Stylo's question earlier, if I were married to another man who also earned the same income as I did (not even counting bonuses), we could easily afford a home up to $700K. So, we could probably afford something half decent in Westport for that matter. But I'm just being hypothetical lol.
Hypothetically, it sounds like you're looking for a guy like Mark. LOL.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:59 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Don't quit your job if you can't afford Westport and want to buy. Do what everyone else that works in Stamford with a not-astronomical income does: go up the train line.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:37 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Nep - I am glad to hear that you are liking where you work and settling in. As we have advised you in the past though, do not get your expectations up too high. Start small and build your own nest egg and don't rely on someone else. I would suggest looking into Fairfield as a place to settle. The homes there are more reasonable than Westport, there is a lot of things to do and you would not be too far from your job. Think about buying a modest home or condo and fixing it up. Do not insist on getting a home with new everything for a cheap price. It just does not work that way. I know we have this all to you before but it is worth repeating. Good luck, Jay

Old 07-14-2013, 07:11 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Well, although things are going well with regard to the job and living here in general, I still don't see myself staying here permanently. Maybe 3-5 years max. After that, I still wish to settle down permanently in a more rural area, such as eastern CT, western MA, upstate NY or something like that. Right now all I care about is saving money. Luckily, my current job has decent pay, low stress and plenty of vacation time.

Old 07-14-2013, 07:37 PM

811 posts, read 1,739,339 times
You don't normally find private equity firms in rural areas. Fromt he homes I've seen in Westport, personally I'd have to spend atleast 900K for something that would be to my liking. Most nice homes are 1M+ though.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:52 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
You don't normally find private equity firms in rural areas. Fromt he homes I've seen in Westport, personally I'd have to spend atleast 900K for something that would be to my liking. Most nice homes are 1M+ though.
Whoever said I need to work for a private equity firm? I never have worked for one and currently do not.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:19 PM

12 posts, read 21,576 times
Quote:
Actually, to answer Stylo's question earlier, if I were married to another man who also earned the same income as I did (not even counting bonuses), we could easily afford a home up to $700K. So, we could probably afford something half decent in Westport for that matter. But I'm just being hypothetical lol.

In reality, I will probably be single for at least a few more years....if not forever. That means that I will probably have to move out of FFC if I wish to pursue home ownership. I can't tell you how many 30-somethings work in my company and they are still renting. That was not the case back in Hartford County, where more people in that age group seemed to own a home.
I've been looking in stamford for months, and 700k is just median old, median size 4 bed house in stamford, hardly imagine it would be harf decent in westport.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:36 PM

21,765 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Westport Real Estate - Westport, CT Homes for Sale - realtor.com®

Old 07-15-2013, 12:57 PM

837 posts, read 2,083,483 times
Quote:
I have yet to see any mass snootiness in FFC, to be honest. Virtually all of my interactions with others have been favorable and the people are nice.
I would have to agree that FFC's "snootiness" seems to be overblown. If anything, maybe some of stems from the super high net worth areas in Greenwich and Old Greenwich, but even though, you are bound to encounter a-holes no matter where you go. In this case, it would be a high-brow a-holes.

Quote:
However, Stamford seems to have sort of a yuppie Jersey Shore attitude at times. The SoNo yuppie vibe is also annoying IMO.
I am of the reverse opinion, actually. Having lived in Stamford (and have worked/partied in Norwalk), Stamford seems to have more of the yuppie resident population, especially in the younger population, as they tend to actually live in the city and work at a financial institution (KPMG, UBS, RBS, etc.).

Meawhile, I feel that Norwalk has a lot of the Jersey Shore attitude mixed some Valley Punk attitude, and a little Bridgeport flavor thrown in. You're more apt to see the slick hair, fake tan, and a Civic with a super high spoiler parked in a driveway within Norwalk than in Stamford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut