Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 02:39 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,493,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sorry I really do not agree with you. In fact I feel exactly opposite. I have lived in several states for a time and looked carefully at what other states have to offer. Connecticut by far exceeds at the things I care about. Things like education, health care, quality of living and aethetics are more important to me than slightly lower taxes, big crowded cities and slightly lower housing costs. You may not like Connecticut but most others love it here. To me it sounds like you either do not know our state or are just saying things to spark people. Jay

Thats good, cause you live there

I do know your state, i grew up there for 20 years of my life, and have been going back and forth there for the past 12. I can only compare CT to MA and NH, two other states I have lived in, and I will say CT is at the bottom of my short list. Although if I was to compare to the entire country it would probably be somewhere in the middle of the pack.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:48 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sorry I really do not agree with you. In fact I feel exactly opposite. I have lived in several states for a time and looked carefully at what other states have to offer. Connecticut by far exceeds at the things I care about. Things like education, health care, quality of living and aethetics are more important to me than slightly lower taxes, big crowded cities and slightly lower housing costs. You may not like Connecticut but most others love it here. To me it sounds like you either do not know our state or are just saying things to spark people. Jay
Yes, Jay. Those are the things YOU care about. Others care about "FREEDOM" and low taxes... Understand, we have a Democrat Governor (this term) and a consistently Democrat legislature... That means we don't have "FREEDOM." In a state, where marriage is more regulated (ie gays can't marry), textbooks are prescribed by a state board (Newt instead of Cesar Chavez... Intelligent Design is theory, just like Evolution), where you have to show an ID to vote, and where there is group organized prayer before football games (to Jesus, of course), you have more "FREEDOM" then we have here in Connecticut. In Connecticut, onerous regulations that allow you to do things like call in sick from work without being fired, or prevent a mentally ill spousal abuser from owning a personal arsenal limit our freedom.

In the end, for some, it's all about that freedom. At least, according to Fox News.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:49 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,166,528 times
I'm a huge fan of NH but economic opportunity is much greater in CT. Economy trumps leisure.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
ever increasing of nanny laws and the downward spirl of CT politics.
Please name one "nanny" law that effects your QOL that they don't have in New Hampshire or Mass...

How does Connecticut differ from the rest of the country regarding the quality of our politics?

Old 09-10-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I'm a huge fan of NH but economic opportunity is much greater in CT. Economy trumps leisure.
Sure there may be more diverse job options in CT then NH if your qualified for the available openings

but

NH unemployment rate: 5.1%
CT unemployment rate: 8.1%

If you want job diversity you can live in Southern, NH, work in Metro Boston, but then you have to deal with the traffic and you still get hammered with MA Income taxes.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Please name one "nanny" law that effects your QOL that they don't have in New Hampshire or Mass...

How does Connecticut differ from the rest of the country regarding the quality of our politics?

Just a few that come right off the top of my head.

Nanny laws

-illegal to use a cell phone and drive
-illegal to not wear a helmet on a motorcycle
-illegal to not wear a seatbelt
-illegal to light off any aerial fireworks

Most of these thigns are common sense, and not doing them is just plain stupid, but do you need government giving you another reason to intrude on your life, another reason to pull you over, another reason to ticket you?

Quality of politics, mainly I was referring to how they want to tax you to death and they keep making it worse.
-Gas is 40 cents on average more expensive in CT
-Beer is more expensive
-Liquor is more expensive
-Cigarettes are more expensive
-everything is more expensive
-did I hear Malloy wants to raise your sales tax as well? Or was that the income tax?

Lets take away all the fun, the CT way.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Most of these thigns are common sense, and not doing them is just plain stupid, but do you need government giving you another reason to intrude on your life, another reason to pull you over, another reason to ticket you?
So, to be clear, your argument is that Connecticut is a "nanny" state because we pass common sense laws here (which by the way are the same laws passed in the overwhelming majority of states-- No state is without a seatbelt law at this point, and few are without cell phone laws) that are pretty similar to the law elsewhere? You admit the laws make sense, but you're just generally oppositional?

Then your arguments about politics is just another version of "it's too 'spensive..."

Have to say, you're not earning many debate points with these arguments...

Old 09-10-2013, 03:09 PM

21,732 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
-illegal to use a cell phone and drive

-illegal to not wear a seatbelt
Those laws very clearly protect other innocent people. In the case of seatbelts, they protect other passengers in the car from being struck by a projectile person.

To call those "nanny state" laws is a bit extreme.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Quote:
So, to be clear, your argument is that Connecticut is a "nanny" state because we pass common sense laws here (which by the way are the same laws passed in the overwhelming majority of states-- No state is without a seatbelt law at this point, and few are without cell phone laws) that are pretty similar to the law elsewhere? You admit the laws make sense, but you're just generally oppositional?

Then your arguments about politics is just another version of "it's too 'spensive..."

Have to say, you're not earning many debate points with these arguments...
Where did I admit that these laws make sense? Im saying they are all COMMON SENSE. obviously something the voters of CT lack...

Do you need Big brother to tell you to eat three meals a day too? how about to tell you when its ok to go to the bathroom... Are these laws necessary? Do you need that much government intrusion in your life? It all starts with giving up your simple freedoms.. see how well that works out for you in the end..

Old 09-10-2013, 03:21 PM

21,732 posts, read 28,059,998 times
Quote:
Where did I admit that these laws make sense? Im saying they are all COMMON SENSE. obviously something the voters of CT lack...

Do you need Big brother to tell you to eat three meals a day too? how about to tell you when its ok to go to the bathroom... Are these laws necessary? Do you need that much government intrusion in your life? It all starts with giving up your simple freedoms.. see how well that works out for you in the end..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut