Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 06:57 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times

Advertisements

I grew up in CT and have lived in other states. I have no intent of moving back to CT. The heating cost are crazy and basically there's nothing to do in CT. As for retirement why live there if you can live in other states where your dollar goes much further? People can die and be buried anywhere. It's just not worth it.

I look at it this way. If I'm going to pay a premium to live somewhere it might as well be California. For those who want to get out I suggest you visit other states and get out. Especially the warmer one. Once you get a break from the winters it's hard to go back. No place is perfect but given other options no way I would move back to Connecticut.

That being said I do support UConn sports.

Old 08-11-2013, 07:12 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,161,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
I grew up in CT and have lived in other states. I have no intent of moving back to CT. The heating cost are crazy and basically there's nothing to do in CT. As for retirement why live there if you can live in other states where your dollar goes much further? People can die and be buried anywhere. It's just not worth it.

I look at it this way. If I'm going to pay a premium to live somewhere it might as well be California. For those who want to get out I suggest you visit other states and get out. Especially the warmer one. Once you get a break from the winters it's hard to go back. No place is perfect but given other options no way I would move back to Connecticut.

That being said I do support UConn sports.

What purpose is this thread serving at this point? Curious...

Old 08-11-2013, 08:07 PM

4,318 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post
My husband, being from nj, drives with the assumption that other people don't want to hit you and will get out of your way, I had to tell him while driving through ct that this assumption doesn't work and people will change lanes right into you. Also if you need to change lanes people intentionally block you in, like it would effect them at all if you were to drive in their lane.
That made me laugh.. Jersey drivers are the worst, they do have malice. They want to block you, they want to play cop, and control your life. And God forbid, you are about to miss your Exit. As crazy and in-a-hurry as NYC drivers are, even NYC drivers will help you make your Exit. NJ drivers on the other hand, will push you out, with malicious intent, to make you miss your exit. CT drivers are subdued, IMO, most are gentlemen. Having lived throughout the tri-state area extensively, that is my experience, and it is shared by most NYers like me. Jersey drivers are also like cockroaches -- they pop all over to take our spots in the City. CT drivers know how to yield. I can give you a million examples. I still live here.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:59 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
As for retirement why live there if you can live in other states where your dollar goes much further? People can die and be buried anywhere. It's just not worth it.
Retirement in Connecticut is tough. The cost of living is high and taxes are high, and there are no significant tax breaks for retirees (common in other states, even ones with high taxes generally). My mother got a huge break on her (already small) property taxes in Pennsylvania when she retired.

The dismal prospects of retirement in Connecticut were part of what drove me out of the state.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:06 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakYourMind View Post
See lots of people cutting down large trees in their front yards lately though.
They probably don't want those trees falling on their house in the next hurricane or freak snowstorm.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:51 AM

258 posts, read 421,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
That made me laugh.. Jersey drivers are the worst, they do have malice. They want to block you, they want to play cop, and control your life. And God forbid, you are about to miss your Exit. As crazy and in-a-hurry as NYC drivers are, even NYC drivers will help you make your Exit. NJ drivers on the other hand, will push you out, with malicious intent, to make you miss your exit. CT drivers are subdued, IMO, most are gentlemen. Having lived throughout the tri-state area extensively, that is my experience, and it is shared by most NYers like me. Jersey drivers are also like cockroaches -- they pop all over to take our spots in the City. CT drivers know how to yield. I can give you a million examples. I still live here.
I can't disagree with you about new jersey drivers. But even my husband, being used to driving in jersey, couldn't stand driving through Connecticut. He has some very choice words about the experience. I'm honestly shocked you would say ct drivers know how to yield, and are subdued. Some may be, but the majority are jerks, at least that was my experience.

~Katy

Old 08-12-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakers View Post
I can't disagree with you about new jersey drivers. But even my husband, being used to driving in jersey, couldn't stand driving through Connecticut. He has some very choice words about the experience. I'm honestly shocked you would say ct drivers know how to yield, and are subdued. Some may be, but the majority are jerks, at least that was my experience.

~Katy
Geez...drivers everywhere are jerks at times equally. In my time in Charlotte, and Florida, and Boston I saw the same amount of jerks.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:56 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,970,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Geez...drivers everywhere are jerks at times equally. In my time in Charlotte, and Florida, and Boston I saw the same amount of jerks.
It is mostly a factor of road vehicle population density, not driver personalities. FFC's traffic density is abominable, hence, road rage will always be a problem, since I95 cannot be widened for dozens of miles up there, and a disproportinate percentage of the better jobs are in a small geographic area, that 90% of the workforce cannot live within a half hour commute of.

In a perfect world, it would be possible to convince employers in all states to "spread out". In reality-that doesn't happen. They cluster, and that creates far less than ideal traffic issues.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:07 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
If you find alot of jerks when you drive regardless of WHERE, you MIGHT have to look at your own driving behavior.. js..

Old 08-12-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
If you find alot of jerks when you drive regardless of WHERE, you MIGHT have to look at your own driving behavior.. js..
Wow..you have found the true epitome of the misguided point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut