Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2013, 11:38 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Heh, being called a Yankee is definitely not an affectionate term in the south.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Oh yea...when you hear "bless your heart" you know you've been dissed. Oh and how about this question "so what church do you belong to"? Like it matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't find southerners to be friendly at all. Phony, yes. The women are gossipy and judgmental. They cater to men, in a slavish 1950s way.

And that "bless your heart" is the most phony phase I have ever heard.

I've never found Southerners to be particularly friendly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
People do not hate Connecticut. They are jealous of it.

Just like New York City.

Most people can't afford to live nicely in either place. Both are cultured and centers of education.

Connecticut is beautiful and expensive. And steeped in history.

It's easier to hate it, that to admit that you could not even own a simple cape cod style house there.

You know what I hate? The "Southernazation of the United States".
Talk about buying into stereotypes, you guys just don't get it, not at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
There are nuances to Southernisms that unless you are familiar with them will be lost on you.
This is the truth and I find it hilarious when people unfamiliar with the south bash it over things they don't understand at all. Having been in the south for over twenty years now, I think I can state that most of the stereotypes presented here are pure BS.

BTW I don't hate CT, frankly it just doesn't cross my radar very often. Hard to be jealous of a place you never think about.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:40 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,496,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmombiz View Post
The rude behaviors of people in the stores and driving in the streets is what I was referring to!
Yet, you like others return even. We must have something you want/need.

As I said earlier, so much displeasure but quick to return. So much dysfunctionality/battered wife syndrome.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:43 AM

11 posts, read 17,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Yes I have spent considerable time there. The neighborhoods are for all intents and purposes, devoid. This is modest to heavy tree cover in the canyons, parks or undeveloped/poor terrain areas.
I must be one of the lucky ones then (and all my acquaintances) to live in West Austin and have a view of protected preserve and parkland! Counting my blessings on that one!

Old 07-30-2013, 11:46 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Just the type of CT mentality I was speaking of. Who are you to respond to my post with an instruction to have the thread closed just because you don't agree with me? It is this type of obnoxious attitude that prevails. Shameful.

Oh, I forgot to add the passive aggressive smiley face.
Whatever.... Its not that I do or dont agree with you. Threads like this ALWAYS go down a bad road.. They serve no real purpose other than to allow every Tom, Dick and Harry to come in here and bash away.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:52 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
I have to laugh at the defensive attitude of the CT posters. If the OP didn't want to hear the responses, perhaps the title of this thread shouldn't have been "Why do people dislike CT so much?"

Old 07-30-2013, 12:07 PM

71 posts, read 179,596 times
I've spent a lot of time in the south and have never had a stranger ask me which church I go to. That is a completely ridiculous question to ask a stranger. This is not typical.

Although the south is predominantly conservative as a whole... the cities are actually quite liberal. Nashville for example is very liberal. Left-wingers fit in very well.

I have some friends here that are Jewish and some that don't even practice a religion and they all still manage to flourish socially. You don't have to be Christian to "fit in".

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
That is mostly true if you are:

1) White

2) Christian

3) Center-right or higher (conservative-wise) in political outlook.

(which overall actually means they are very "cliquey", just in a very simple, singular way).

Otherwise, so-called "southern friendliness" can be quite uncomfortable eventually. As I think jp03 noted, all the questions by neighbors when you first move in about, "what church do you go to?". It may seem just "pleasant chit chat", but can be a bit unnerving if you are say Jewish or atheist for that matter and your new neighbors don't realize it.

I have not actually lived in the South (family almost moved to central FL when I was a teenager, but even then not sure if that area was all that culturally "Southern" anymore) but I have a lot of friends who usually were not one of the above 3 (and sometimes not 2 and in a couple of cases none of the above 3) who made the move "down South" for their jobs and/or for the lower cost of living and this was how they felt eventually. For example, if one is relatively liberal in outlook, and it starts to get very friendly with the neighbors, then they talk politics and about how "evil" the "other side" is, etc.

There are exceptions, I've heard that some pockets of North Carolina, parts of Dallas and Houston and especially most of the Atlanta and Austin areas are not really like that. But again, those are the exceptions. Where I've had friends who lived "down South" who agree with your assessment, they usually were all 3 of the above.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I have to laugh at the defensive attitude of the CT posters. If the OP didn't want to hear the responses, perhaps the title of this thread shouldn't have been "Why do people dislike CT so much?"
As always the "OP" is long gone from this thread.. ! And that's the point.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwdmd View Post
I've spent a lot of time in the south and have never had a stranger ask me which church I go to. That is a completely ridiculous question to ask a stranger. This is not typical.

Although the south is predominantly conservative as a whole... the cities are actually quite liberal. Nashville for example is very liberal. Left-wingers fit in very well.

I have some friends here that are Jewish and some that don't even practice a religion and they all still manage to flourish socially. You don't have to be Christian to "fit in".

I dont even consider nashville the "south"

Old 07-30-2013, 12:42 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,419,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwdmd View Post
I have lived in the south and was most certainly asked that question, not regularly but certainly more than a few times. Generally you won't be asked in larger cities, though most recently I was asked while on an extended business trip to Chattanooga, so it happens. As an agnostic/atheist who doesn't give religion a second thought on an annual basis, let alone daily, this tends to make me do a double take (complete with the record scratch sound effect in my head).

Back on topic, I hate these kind of pile-on threads. Every state forum here has them and they all end the same. The former residents, the residents trying to leave, plus a sprinkling of the uninformed go and crap all over said state. The happy/content residents get up in arms over the proverbial dump the disgruntled residents/ex-residents are taking on their state. Lather, rinse, repeat. Yawn.

I have lived in a handful of states all over the US. Each time I didn't like where I was geographically, I did something about it and left. I didn't blame the residents I left in my wake for my unhappiness, it was just that I didn't connect with that place and that's fine. I have lived in enough places and traveled enough for business to know that in NO WAY does any particular state own the market for rude people. A-holes exist everywhere in the world, not just CT.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I have lived in the south and was most certainly asked that question, not regularly but certainly more than a few times. Generally you won't be asked in larger cities, though most recently I was asked while on an extended business trip to Chattanooga, so it happens. As an agnostic/atheist who doesn't give religion a second thought on an annual basis, let alone daily, this tends to make me do a double take (complete with the record scratch sound effect in my head).

Back on topic, I hate these kind of pile-on threads. Every state forum here has them and they all end the same. The former residents, the residents trying to leave, plus a sprinkling of the uninformed go and crap all over said state. The happy/content residents get up in arms over the proverbial dump the disgruntled residents/ex-residents are taking on their state. Lather, rinse, repeat. Yawn.

I have lived in a handful of states all over the US. Each time I didn't like where I was geographically, I did something about it and left. I didn't blame the residents I left in my wake for my unhappiness, it was just that I didn't connect with that place and that's fine. I have lived in enough places and traveled enough for business to know that in NO WAY does any particular state own the market for rude people. A-holes exist everywhere in the world, not just CT.

good post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut