Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseagiel69 View Post
sorry to burst your bubble but dont think many people are jealous of ct, there are many other states that are beautiful and are steeped in history, just to name a few Georgia,Virginia Vermont etc... and those states arent as expensive to own homes or pay taxes in either.. people are simply getting tired of paying such high premiums to live in a state that taxes them to death twice as much and with crazy erratic weather all for supposed "culture" which fyi there are cultural centers all over the usa not just in good ole ct
Bingo

Old 07-26-2013, 02:30 PM

1,373 posts, read 1,655,077 times
Put me down for another who fears the "Southernazation of the United States".

Slavery is an embarrassment to this country. So is Walmart, Right to Work, Disney Work, Dollywood, Jim Bakker, Jesus World and unfair trials.

I think in general that Southerners have a "complex".

Old 07-26-2013, 04:54 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
sorry to burst your bubble but dont think many people are jealous of ct, there are many other states that are beautiful and are steeped in history, just to name a few Georgia,Virginia Vermont etc... and those states arent as expensive to own homes or pay taxes in either.. people are simply getting tired of paying such high premiums to live in a state that taxes them to death twice as much and with crazy erratic weather all for supposed "culture" which fyi there are cultural centers all over the usa not just in good ole ct

I don't live in a bubble. I actually don't live in Connecticut. I live in the Mid West in the Connecticut Western Reserve, an area of Ohio that was, ironically settled by people from Connecticut.

It does have a New England feel to it. People are genteel and reserved. Also, well educated.

I've lived in several states and four regions. I attended college in Massachusetts.

I have spent time in Connecticut, and I do think that it's one of those states that is frequently derided along with New York and California; by the "NASCAR, Disney, Megachurch Walmart set.

It's not a political thing, moderate to conservative Republicans have always resided in that state. It's a "culture thing". It transcends right and left. It runs towards the issue of class in America.

My theory, along with other scholars of American culture and studies; is that certain states seem to be targets of certain Americans. Our theory is that there exists a type of jealousy, because certain states are perceived as elite and prosperous. Also, well educated.

I have argued and judging from the quantity of reputation points received from this one post, many other people seem to agree with me.

Remember, I did not write the original post. I only responded to it.

I think it's thought provoking and worthy of discussion.

Old 07-26-2013, 07:55 PM

52 posts, read 114,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Those depressing NH summers must explain why 93N and 95N going into NH is absolutly gridlocked with cars with CT/RI/MA plates pulling campers, boats, atv's, kayakes every friday night and 93S and 95S going into MA is gridlocked every sunday evening every day during the summer...

some depressing NH summer pictures I took recently.
I am the OP and I love the northern beaches the Portsmouth/hampton beach area is beautiful and I go to Ogunquit, ME at least twice a year. Far more beautiful and quaint and cleaner than any beach towns in NJ, CT, RI.(Although RI has a few exceptions.) The transition from the cold water to the warm beach is especially pleasurable.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:03 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwdmd View Post
Also forgot to mention that its much easier to make friends. People tend to be friendlier and therefore much easier to socialize with. Most southern people are much less cliquey than northerners.
That is mostly true if you are:

1) White

2) Christian

3) Center-right or higher (conservative-wise) in political outlook.

(which overall actually means they are very "cliquey", just in a very simple, singular way).

Otherwise, so-called "southern friendliness" can be quite uncomfortable eventually. As I think jp03 noted, all the questions by neighbors when you first move in about, "what church do you go to?". It may seem just "pleasant chit chat", but can be a bit unnerving if you are say Jewish or atheist for that matter and your new neighbors don't realize it.

I have not actually lived in the South (family almost moved to central FL when I was a teenager, but even then not sure if that area was all that culturally "Southern" anymore) but I have a lot of friends who usually were not one of the above 3 (and sometimes not 2 and in a couple of cases none of the above 3) who made the move "down South" for their jobs and/or for the lower cost of living and this was how they felt eventually. For example, if one is relatively liberal in outlook, and it starts to get very friendly with the neighbors, then they talk politics and about how "evil" the "other side" is, etc.

There are exceptions, I've heard that some pockets of North Carolina, parts of Dallas and Houston and especially most of the Atlanta and Austin areas are not really like that. But again, those are the exceptions. Where I've had friends who lived "down South" who agree with your assessment, they usually were all 3 of the above.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:12 PM

52 posts, read 114,335 times
Quote:
you have spent time in Connecticut, without you having lived here, you really dont have a frame of reference when referring to certain aspects of the culture in ct, when i first moved back here i thought like you the populace would be mostly well educated refined etc.. well i can tell you the only places those kind of people exist is in new haven and thats due to yale uni nothing more nothing less, and to a certain extent fairfield county but again that being due to most residents working in new york city and making a nyc salary which in turn lets them enjoy the finer and more refined things in life. the rest of the state sorry to say is extremely rural, we are talking dairy farms tiny towns of 4,000 northeastern and western ct specifically now these areas are absolutely drop dead gorgeous ecsp litchfield, sharon, kent etc.. but with the exception of the residents that summer there the locals arent any more educated or cultural then the residents of deep south states or midwest as you seem to think and as far as certain states being targets of certain americans you could say certain southern states are unfairly negatively stereotyped by northerners in exactly the same way except looked down on for certain preconceived notions which are either overblown or misunderstood cultural traditions ex. slower drawl, over friendliness slower pace of life.
95% of that was absolutely absurd. You obviously haven't spent much time here, and if so you are ignorant to it

Old 07-26-2013, 08:37 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
That is mostly true if you are:

1) White

2) Christian

3) Center-right or higher (conservative-wise) in political outlook.

(which overall actually means they are very "cliquey", just in a very simple, singular way).

Otherwise, so-called "southern friendliness" can be quite uncomfortable eventually. As I think jp03 noted, all the questions by neighbors when you first move in about, "what church do you go to?". It may seem just "pleasant chit chat", but can be a bit unnerving if you are say Jewish or atheist for that matter and your new neighbors don't realize it.

I have not actually lived in the South (family almost moved to central FL when I was a teenager, but even then not sure if that area was all that culturally "Southern" anymore) but I have a lot of friends who usually were not one of the above 3 (and sometimes not 2 and in a couple of cases none of the above 3) who made the move "down South" for their jobs and/or for the lower cost of living and this was how they felt eventually. For example, if one is relatively liberal in outlook, and it starts to get very friendly with the neighbors, then they talk politics and about how "evil" the "other side" is, etc.

There are exceptions, I've heard that some pockets of North Carolina, parts of Dallas and Houston and especially most of the Atlanta and Austin areas are not really like that. But again, those are the exceptions. Where I've had friends who lived "down South" who agree with your assessment, they usually were all 3 of the above.
This isn't just your opinion, it's true. I am a W.A.S.P. and my husband is Jewish. We have an adopted child who isn't white.

The "Where do you go to church?" question is ubiquitous in the south.

When election time come around, I want to affix what ever bumper sticker I want on my car with out fear of being snubbed - or worse.

We are not a military family, nor do we hunt. My husband likes pro-sports - but NY and Cleveland teams.

I do have a cousin who lives near Charlotte. She's lived their for 25 years. Her husband works for a defense contractor that I particularly dislike, and one of her children in an officer.

She was centrist Republican, and an Episcopalian when she moved their. Now she is a Tea party type and attends a Southern Baptist Church.

We are still quite close. However, she is not without some misgivings.

Her daughter married last Summer, and while my cousin's daughter is a graduate of Clemson, and an officer in the military who has served in Iraq, her in laws are less than happy with their union.

Once in she began to cry and said, In front of my young relative that she never thought she's see the day when there would be "Yankee blood" in her family.

The South friendly? Sure. If you are a certain type of person. Or on vacation.

Everyone in nice when they are taking your money. Not only in the south.

Last time we visited there, I saw tee shirts directing people to go back home after visiting.

I did not think it was a hoot, to say the least.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:21 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't find southerners to be friendly at all. Phony, yes. The women are gossipy and judgmental. They cater to men, in a slavish 1950s way.

And that "bless your heart" is the most phony phase I have ever heard.

I've never found Southerners to be particularly friendly.
"Bless your heart" isn't always intended to be complimentary. There are nuances to Southernisms that unless you are familiar with them will be lost on you.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:28 PM

848 posts, read 1,120,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This isn't just your opinion, it's true. I am a W.A.S.P. and my husband is Jewish. We have an adopted child who isn't white.

The "Where do you go to church?" question is ubiquitous in the south.

When election time come around, I want to affix what ever bumper sticker I want on my car with out fear of being snubbed - or worse.

We are not a military family, nor do we hunt. My husband likes pro-sports - but NY and Cleveland teams.

I do have a cousin who lives near Charlotte. She's lived their for 25 years. Her husband works for a defense contractor that I particularly dislike, and one of her children in an officer.

She was centrist Republican, and an Episcopalian when she moved their. Now she is a Tea party type and attends a Southern Baptist Church.

We are still quite close. However, she is not without some misgivings.

Her daughter married last Summer, and while my cousin's daughter is a graduate of Clemson, and an officer in the military who has served in Iraq, her in laws are less than happy with their union.

Once in she began to cry and said, In front of my young relative that she never thought she's see the day when there would be "Yankee blood" in her family.

The South friendly? Sure. If you are a certain type of person. Or on vacation.

Everyone in nice when they are taking your money. Not only in the south.

Last time we visited there, I saw tee shirts directing people to go back home after visiting.

I did not think it was a hoot, to say the least.
Wow. I could have written the same message and replaced Southern references with one's in the North. When I go home to Connecticut, I see more Tea Party flags and bumper stickers back home than I do in VA or NC. Now, that isn't to say there aren't a fair share of these types in the South...just look at the legislatures, but generalizations are just that...generalizations...and we know what that can lead to...

Old 07-28-2013, 06:00 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
you have spent time in Connecticut, without you having lived here, you really dont have a frame of reference when referring to certain aspects of the culture in ct, when i first moved back here i thought like you the populace would be mostly well educated refined etc.. well i can tell you the only places those kind of people exist is in new haven and thats due to yale uni nothing more nothing less, and to a certain extent fairfield county but again that being due to most residents working in new york city and making a nyc salary which in turn lets them enjoy the finer and more refined things in life. the rest of the state sorry to say is extremely rural, we are talking dairy farms tiny towns of 4,000 northeastern and western ct specifically now these areas are absolutely drop dead gorgeous ecsp litchfield, sharon, kent etc.. but with the exception of the residents that summer there the locals arent any more educated or cultural then the residents of deep south states or midwest as you seem to think and as far as certain states being targets of certain americans you could say certain southern states are unfairly negatively stereotyped by northerners in exactly the same way except looked down on for certain preconceived notions which are either overblown or misunderstood cultural traditions ex. slower drawl, over friendliness slower pace of life.
These have to be the longest sentences I have ever read, it left me breathless reading it.

In response to your earlier statement, "walmarts are everywhere", they are super-sized in the south compared to the smaller ones in Ct., selling nearly everything you can think, and in poor quality. Many residents of Ct. rarely if ever shop there, we have numerous local chains and independent stores to choose from. I was also shocked to see Wal-Marts in the south are frequently open 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut