Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,425,270 times

Advertisements

I loved Connecticut when I was a kid. I used to have a best friend in New Milford..

Old 07-26-2013, 09:11 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
Those depressing NH summers must explain why 93N and 95N going into NH is absolutly gridlocked with cars with CT/RI/MA plates pulling campers, boats, atv's, kayakes every friday night and 93S and 95S going into MA is gridlocked every sunday evening every day during the summer...
I guess the same reason why I-95 north going into CT is gridlocked with cars with NY/NJ/DE plates pulling campers, boats, ATV's, Kayakes, every Friday night and back south toward NYC on Sunday night= people like to leave their home state on weekends.

Still can't change the fact that NH has long, cold, snowy winters....and cool, short, summers compared to CT or the Tri-State area. You had upper 40's up there a few nights ago (in summer!) - lol, my temp never went below 60 F - lol.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:32 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I guess the same reason why I-95 north going into CT is gridlocked with cars with NY/NJ/DE plates pulling campers, boats, ATV's, Kayakes, every Friday night and back south toward NYC on Sunday night= people like to leave their home state on weekends.

Still can't change the fact that NH has long, cold, snowy winters....and cool, short, summers compared to CT or the Tri-State area. You had upper 40's up there a few nights ago (in summer!) - lol, my temp never went below 60 F - lol.

Agreed, but i like long gold snowy winters! ha

the 40s felt nice after that heatwave, along those lines, it was a solid 10 degrees colder for yestardays high in CT then it was in NH. oh yeah no rain yestarday up here either

oh yeah, and we may not have any pro sports teams but we do have a nascar track. thats gotta count for something right?

Old 07-26-2013, 11:00 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Quote:

the 40s felt nice after that heatwave, along those lines, it was a solid 10 degrees colder for yestardays high in CT then it was in NH. oh yeah no rain yestarday up here either

oh yeah, and we may not have any pro sports teams but we do have a nascar track. thats gotta count for something right?
I spend a considerable amount of time in NH and find many similarities between NH and Connecticut. Parts of NH, the south, central, and coastal in particular, the weather is very similar to Connecticut. Both states have their advantages and disadvantages but share good educational programs, higher than average per capita income, and healthy residents. A good portion of the population of NH is within 90 minutes of Boston. Many New Hampshirites are avid Boston sports fans. Many Connecticut residents are equally split between Boston and New York teams which are similar distances away from where most Connecticut residents reside.

NH has the mountains and lakes and Connecticut has the hills and coastal towns. I don't think you can go wrong living in either place.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:04 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:

Let's see, long snowy winters, no pro sports teams and no Nascar? Sounds like my kind of state!

Also, lots of well educated people.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:25 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:

This is a SILLY argument..we have one guy who loves winter and one guy who loves summer. The summer guy wants it warmer..the winter guy wants it colder...yet you both arguing which place is better..

Have you fellas ever heard of something called "personal preference" ?

Old 07-26-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:

:
...and that's says it all for me - you have to like spending alot of time in-doors ...or outdoors in crappy/cold/overcast weather to like New Hampshire. Once you get as far south as CT/NYC, the average (and average is the key) climate conditions get much better. I have some time to kill, so'll post these maps...as they say a picture is worth a thousand words :

In terms of sunshine....look at places from CT southward on the East Coast compared to New Hamshire - most of CT gets more than 140 hrs of sun in December (the cloudiest month of the year on ave)....while only a tiny area of NH gets 120 to 140 hrs...and the bulk of NH gets less 100 to 120 - that's as bad as the Great Lakes

In terms of average extreme winter lows/garden zone....most of New Hampshire is in zone 5 (lows -10 to -20 F extreme lows)...most of CT is on the high side of zone 6 or zone 7 in southern/coastal CT. Most of the things I grow here on the coast of CT would never survive up in New Hampshire. Of course the gardening season is longer at both ends in CT compared to New Hampshire.

In economic terms - like staying warm - New Hampshire pretty bad; Most of CT average 5500 to 6500 HDD (Heating degree days)....most of New Hampshire and Maine average 7 to 8,000 HDD. Most of New Hampshire is as bad as southern MN or ND in terms of HDD. No thanks, I'd rather save my money.

Winter sets in earlier up in New Hampshire....than in CT/NY/NJ: By October, lows are already below 40 F in New Hampshire....but not in the Tri-State area. By December the average temp is already below 30 F in all on New Hampshire and Maine....but not in CT/NYC/NJ :

Lets not forget the SNOW! I'm glad you like it, because snow is a daily fact of life in New Hampshire in the long and cold winter. EVERYWHERE in New Hampshire averages more than 60 inches of snow each winter....while much of CT/Long Island get HALF that much. In fact, places in southeast CT (where I live) get only 20 to 25 inches of snow on average....about 1/3 as much as New Hampshire. I agree it's a difference of persepective (love or hate winter).....but from my perspective I would never want to live up in New Hampshire for that reason alone. We get a perfect winter here in the Tri-State, short and sweet

The list goes on and on....from my perspective (not to say it's the only or right one), New Hampshire is far too severe a climate for me to ever want to live in.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 07-26-2013 at 01:20 PM..

Old 07-26-2013, 01:11 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
This is a SILLY argument..we have one guy who loves winter and one guy who loves summer. The summer guy wants it warmer..the winter guy wants it colder...yet you both arguing which place is better..

Have you fellas ever heard of something called "personal preference" ?

I agree and im pretty sure i posted that on my original post. can we please get back to disliking CT now

Old 07-26-2013, 01:15 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
...and that's says it all for me - you have to like spending alot of time in-doors ...or outdoors in crappy/cold/overcast weather to like New Hampshire. Once you get as far south as CT/NYC, the average (and average is the key) climate conditions get much better. I have some time to kill, so'll post these maps...as they say a picture is worth a thousand words :

In terms of sunshine....look at places from CT southward on the East Coast compared to New Hamshire - most of CT gets more than 140 hrs of sun in December (the cloudiest month of the year on ave)....while only a tiny area of NH gets 120 to 140 hrs...and the bulk of NH gets less 100 to 120 - that's as bad as the Great Lakes

In terms of average extreme winter lows/garden zone....most of New Hampshire is in zone 5 (lows -10 to -20 F extreme lows)...most of CT is on the high side of zone 6 or zone 7 in southern/coastal CT. Most of the things I grow here on the coast of CT would never survive up in New Hampshire. Of course the gardening season is longer at both ends in CT compared to New Hampshire.

In economic terms - like staying warm - New Hampshire pretty bad; Most of CT average 5500 to 6500 HDD (Heating degree days)....most of New Hampshire and Maine average 7 to 8,000 HDD. Most of New Hampshire is as bad as southern MN or ND in terms of HDD. No thanks, I'd rather save my money.

Winter sets in earlier up in New Hampshire....than in CT/NY/NJ: By December the mean temp is already below 30 F in all on New Hampshire and Maine....but not in CT/NYC/NJ :

Lets not forget the SNOW! I'm glad you like it, because snow is a daily fact of life in New Hampshire in the long and cold winter. EVERYWHERE in New Hampshire averages more than 60 inches of snow each winter....while much of CT/Long Island get HALF that much. In fact, places in southeast CT (where I live) get only 20 to 25 inches of snow on average....about 1/3 as much as New Hampshire. I agree it's a difference of persepective (love or hate winter).....but from my perspective I would never want to live up in New Hampshire for that reason alone. We get a perfect winter here in the Tri-State, short and sweet

The list goes on and on....from my perspective (not to say it's the only or right one), New Hampshire is too severe a climate for me to every want to live in.
ok...

Old 07-26-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I agree and im pretty sure i posted that on my original post. can we please get back to disliking CT nowk:
Sure...but expect CT folks to challenge unvalid or unfactual things
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut