Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 07:05 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
I was born and raised in CT for 18 years, left to go to college in Boston, then moved to Central NH and made the wise decision to never come back. I generally dislike CT and it’s not jealousy.

It is however better than a lot of other states, but compared to other New England states it’s near the bottom of the barrel. I will preface this with saying that some of my reasons for not liking CT are personal preference and a lot of this is in comparison to NH

Reasons I don’t ever want to move back to CT:

-Nanny state, laws to protect yourself from yourself.. Do I need laws to tell me to wear my seatbelt and a helmet on a bike? No. I don’t need to protect myself from my own idiocy.
-Taxes taxes taxes, Not only do my buddies who still live in CT have very high property tax, but they also have high income tax and high sales tax along with high gas tax and a tax on personal property such as cars…. Im sure the list goes on.
-Boring state, I am sure this will get some arguments, but there are no good medium/big cities, there are no sports teams, there is no good ocean, no good mountains, no atv/snowmobile trails, no big lakes. Everyone just says how close those things are, but guess what, most of these things are still 2+ hour drives and their NOT in CT!
-The people, they really are not that friendly at all unless you have known them your whole life, but this is pretty common in southern New England, along those lines, the amount of people who don’t speak English is frustrating. random strangers up here will strike small talk with you at the gas station, at the grocery store, etc, it was odd at first!
-Winter, and not because it snows, but because it doesn’t snow enough or get cold enough, it gets cold and snowy enough to be miserable for 5 months out of the year, but not cold and snowy enough to enjoy doing winter activities, the ice never freezes good and the snow doesn’t get deep or stick around long enough to do winter sports such as snowmobiling.
-The Jonses, it seems like everyone in CT is trying to compete with each other and show off.

I guess for me, any positive thing you could come up with for CT, NH does it better, unless were talking about food and proximity to NYC.
Gotta be honest, I’m no huge fan of Ct....but I did have to laugh at this:

Boring.....If Connecticut is boring, what is central New Hampshire – lol. There is basically nothing in New Hampshire but small towns (please don't say Concord is a city the way New Haven or Hartford are).

Big cities....what big cities are near central New Hampshire - lol. The best part about CT is that at least you are 90 min from one of the largest and most dynamic cities on earth (NYC).

Sports teams.... I forgot what are the sports teams in New Hampshire – lol.

The ocean....it’s common knowledge that the only decent (and swimmable ) beaches north of Long Island/New Jersey shore are along the Rhode Island coast – which is far closer to Connecticut than it ever will be to New Hampshire. The Atlantic is freeeezing cold from Boston northward. The ocean in New Hampshire might be good for seals but not for people. I’ll take the beaches in Rhode Island or eastern CT any day over the cold and rocky beaches from Boston northward.

Weather.... that’s the best part about Connecticut - our weather is so unlike the crappy climates of the real New England states to the north - lol. Winter in New Hampshire starts a month before and ends a month (or more) after it does in CT. We’re gardening in mid April in parts of southern Ct while there is snow on the ground in most of New Hampshire. In fall, frost comes to even southernmost New Hampshire in late September...while in most of southern Connecticut our first frost is not until late October or even early November in the coastal areas. While New Hampshire is socked in with clouds much of the winter – we in CT/Long Island and points south see sunshine. I hate winter, but at least we get the best of both worlds, we are not snowless like states to the south, and we get big dumps of snow that give us the thrill of snow – but it melts quick and spring comes fast. In New Hampshire winter is long and ugly, the roads are mountainous and trecherous in the 6 months of winter. We get about 3 months of winter in CT most of the time - plenty for many of us. I would never (ever) want to live up in New Hampshire with that type of climate.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 07-26-2013 at 07:19 AM..

Old 07-26-2013, 07:19 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,494,011 times
Reading back on my Original post, i can see why its laughable, it started off more about reasons of why i disliked CT, i shouldnt even have mentioned NH, because your right, some of the reasons I dislike CT also apply to NH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Gotta be honest, I’m no huge fan of Ct....but I did have to laugh at this:

Boring.....If Connecticut is boring, what is central New Hampshire – lol. There is basically nothing in New Hampshire but small towns (please don't say Concord is a city the way New Haven or Hartford are). Should have said south central, near manchester, 45 minutes to boston, 45 minutes to the ocean, 1.5 hours to portland, 60 minutes to the white mountains, 60 mintues to winnipesaukee. its not boring if your into outdoors activities.

Big cities....what big cities are near central New Hampshire - lol. The best part about CT is that at least that you are 90 min from one of the largest and most dynamic cities on earth (NYC). boston is 45 minutes drive from my house, manchester its 10 minutes (not huge, but still a decent sized city and portland isnt too far either, again personal preference, I have zero desire to go to NYC

Sports teams.... I forgot what are the sports teams in New Hampshire – lol. true, but at least half of this state does not hate NEW ENGLAND and Boston sports teams..

The ocean....it’s common knowledge that the only decent (and swimmable ) beaches north of Long Island/New Jersey shore are along the Rhode Island coast – which is far closer to Connecticut than it ever will be to New Hampshire. The Atlantic is freeeezing cold from Boston northward. The ocean in New Hampshire might be good for seals but not for people. I’ll take the beaches in Rhode Island or eastern CT any day over the cold and rocky beaches from Boston northward. hampton beach water was in the 70s last week and last time i checked it isnt rocky there. ive done the misquamiquit thing its overrated. ill take the 80+ degree crystal clear lake water any day over the ocean anyways.

Weather.... that’s the best part about Connecticut - our weather is so unlike the crappy climates of the real New England states to the north - lol. Winter in New Hampshire starts a month before and ends a month (or more) after it does in CT. We’re gardening in mid April in parts of southern Ct while there is snow on the ground in most of New Hampshire. In fall, frost comes to even southernmost New Hampshire in late September...while in most of southern Connecticut our first frost is not until late October or even early November in the coastal areas. While New Hampshire is socked in with clouds much of the winter – we in CT/Long Island and points south see sunshine. I hate winter, but at least we get the best of both worlds, we are not snowless like states to the south, and we get big dumps of snow that give us the thrill of snow – but it melts quick and spring comes fast. In New Hampshire winter is long and ugly, the roads are mountainous and trecherous in the 6 months of winter. Many of us down in southern CT would never (ever) want to live up there with that type of climate.
well obviously thats personal preferece as i stated, being a snow lover, CT winter is depressing.

I noticed you didnt respond about my comment on the people

Old 07-26-2013, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Although I'm a huge fan of NH, I seem to be drawing a blank as to their professional sports teams or large cities? We have a much better shoreline than Vermont or NH (although we are behind Mass and ME--- the latter though is a bit cool for real activity) The show off excuse is exclusive to the SW corner of the state. We do have a few too many laws, but I do notice fewer speed traps and less law enforcement "intrusion".

NH's shoreline, while small is packed with some good spots, Hampton beach, rye beach, portsmouth harbor,

My buddy lives in tolland, seems to be pretty show-off there...

fewer speed traps? i guess you dont drive 84 north-east of hartford often?

As for income taxes here are the top brackets by NE state (and NY):

Massachusetts: 5.3%
Connecticut: 6.5% (thanks Malloy)
Maine 8.5!
NY 9.0%
Rhode Island 9.9!
Vermont 8.95%!
NH Only interest and dividend income

wow, some of those are impressive, and not in a good way!

We are actually below the NE average. Go fish.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:01 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,166,978 times
Quote:
Reading back on my Original post, i can see why its laughable, it started off more about reasons of why i disliked CT, i shouldnt even have mentioned NH, because your right, some of the reasons I dislike CT also apply to NH.

well obviously thats personal preferece as i stated, being a snow lover, CT winter is depressing.

I noticed you didnt respond about my comment on the people
Hampton Beach temp hasn't hit 70 yet this season!

Currently at 64 degrees, go get your wet suit!

Hampton Beach, NH

Observed at: 08:04 AM
Wave Hgt: 3.61 ft
Water Temp: 64° F
July 26, 2013
High Tide: 02:24 AM
Low Tide: 08:59 AM
High Tide: 02:58 PM
Low Tide: 09:23 PM

NH isn't close to any global cities, and most of the state is depressingly far from Portland or Boston.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Hampton Beach temp hasn't hit 70 yet this season!

Currently at 64 degrees, go get your wet suit!

Hampton Beach, NH

Observed at: 08:04 AM
Wave Hgt: 3.61 ft
Water Temp: 64° F
July 26, 2013
High Tide: 02:24 AM
Low Tide: 08:59 AM
High Tide: 02:58 PM
Low Tide: 09:23 PM

NH isn't close to any global cities, and most of the state is depressingly far from Portland or Boston.
Were getting off topic, I dont think anyone cares when low tide at hampton beach is. I could honestly care less about the beach, I only go near the coast for an occasional sunday drive to get a lobster roll or fried clams. Why would i want to go sit on sand all day with a million other people and go swimming in freezing cold water. dont fool yourself, RI or CT water aint much warmer. Doesnt get tolerable until your jersey shore and south...

And again i didnt move to NH because i wanted to be near the city... Im just stating that CT doesnt have that to offer either.

The number one response someone says to "whats good about living in CT?" welp, its 2 hours from boston and 2 hours from NYC.... really thats the best thing you could come up with?

Old 07-26-2013, 08:12 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,166,978 times
I'm working in NYC today and every business day. Much of CT is well less than 2 hrs from NYC (Greenwich is 30 minutes!) I'm well under 2 hours (70-75) even during rush hour. I'm less than a mile from NY-- which saves me a fortune in property and income taxes while providing a reasonable commute by NYC standards.

I'm also in a small town that doesn't have any interstate highways that pass through on a very wooded 3 acres of land. Best of both worlds--- rural with access to a world city.

Old 07-26-2013, 08:20 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,360,931 times
Quote:

I think you're attempting to spin it a bit - which can be done both ways I suppose:

Quote:
Should have said south central, near manchester, 45 minutes to boston, 45 minutes to the ocean, 1.5 hours to portland, 60 minutes to the white mountains, 60 mintues to winnipesaukee. its not boring if your into outdoors activities.
South central CT near New Haven (bigger and far more exciting city than ANY city in NH –lol), 1 hr to ocean in Rhode Island (far better than the cold NH coast), 1 hr to NYC (7 times the size of and far more dynamic than little Boston), 2 hrs to Island Beach State Park, NJ (in a different league than anywhere in New England in terms of beaches), 90 minutes to Block Island ferry, 2 hrs to Adirondack mts, Delaware Water Gap, …etc.

Quote:
Boston is 45 minutes drive from my house, manchester its 10 minutes (not huge, but still a decent sized city and portland isnt too far either, again personal preference, I have zero desire to go to NYC
Portland and Manchester are small insignificant towns. Hartford, New Haven, and Stamford – even New London is more exciting. Boston is not a world class city like NYC, Tokyo, London, Paris…etc. When I go to a big city, I’m looking for a real world class experience, I have no desire to spend time in little provincial Boston.

Quote:
True, but at least half of this state does not hate NEW ENGLAND and Boston sports teams..
Seems like you dodged the question here – there are NO pro sports team in NH, just like in CT. Yes, at least half (or more) of CT does not hate NYC sports teams - a good thing.

Quote:
hampton beach water was in the 70s last week and last time i checked it isnt rocky there. ive done the misquamiquit thing its overrated. ill take the 80+ degree crystal clear lake water any day over the ocean anyways.
Hmmm….I'd check those numbers - lol. The current SST off the New Hampshire and Maine coast are from 60 to 64 F (off Boston). They are 71 F off eastern Long island and off Rhode Island (and near 74 off the Connecticut coast). Not only is the water cold, but how often is it even "beach weather" up in NH and Maine - lol. I’ve been to Hampton Beach the beach is nothing to brag about - your typical small beach north of Boston (and it IS rocky to the north and south of Hampton). Rhode Island has beaches that blow away anything New Hampshire coast has, I know, I've been going to East Coast beaches from Key West to Cape Cod for 25 years. Once north of RI/maybe the outer southern Cape = beaches stink. NO beaches look like this north of Cape Cod -

SST off NH = http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44017

East Beach, Rhode Island:

Quote:
Yes, it is personal preference…and being a summer and beach lover... NH in summer is depressing, as is it's beaches, gardening season, hrs of sunshine, number of frost free days, things to do, cities...etc.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 07-26-2013 at 08:40 AM..

Old 07-26-2013, 08:24 AM

275 posts, read 419,369 times
Unhappy I can well agree with ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILF View Post
I speak from the heart when I say I hate Connecticut. The taxes suck, gun laws suck, they made a law back in 1986 that was supposed to open up some parks for recreational vehicles which never happened, we have so many laws that even the law makers and police don't know what they are, no death penalty anymore, and not to mention the weather sucks. I can probably think of many more reasons but I'll stop at this point.

Sitting here waiting for the die hards to start the flame war!

That's another thing I hate about Connecticut.
I cannot believe how corrupt & unjust the state of Connecticut has become!
The amount of Police Corruption & police brutality is overwhelming too.
Did you hear about that East Haven Cop who ran into a Hispanic motorcycle rider deliberately &
broke 16 bones in his body?
How cruel.
I see so many CT Driver who WON'T bother to drive the proper speed limit, run red lights, race across Pedestrian Crosswalks when a pedestrian's trying to cross the pedestrian crosswalk & ride people's bumpers constantly.
I think one of the worst town's to walk in is East Hartford because we've seen hundreds of drivers running stop signs in residential areas. Talk about dangerous!
That town's police department claims they're doing a fine job too!
How are they doing a "fine job" when they won't bother to enforce Basic Safety Laws for the Public?
I've read they love to harass & threaten disabled people too in that town.
We have friends who are disabled who cannot even drive to the main library in that town b/c people are continually blocking the Handicapped Parking spaces at Raymond Library.
That is a creepy town to visit if you're disabled. Don't visit East Hartford if you're disabled...that is NOT a safe town for disabled people.
The town is actually being sued right now b/c an abusive police officer assaulted a young 12 year old boy in his own home!
They put the cop back on active duty though!!
Creepy....
The cost of living is so outrageous in CT we cannot afford to go to
ANY places we 'd like to visit due to high costs of gas, utility bills, groceries, taxes...
They're destroying people liberties in Connecticut.
I cannot stand the way they are running this state any more! It's pitiful.
You cannot even buy a bottle of Wine in grocery stores in Connecticit.
The Probate system happens to be he worst in the country too.
So many people have been forced out of their houses which were left to them by their families!
What is the point of retiring to Connecticut if some corrupt unethical dishonest Probate Lawyer forces
your family out of the home you left to them?
Go on [domain blocked due to spam].com-Darien, CT - so much corruption in this state.
Do you think Foley would be a good governor?
They need to STOP bringing the gas prices thru the roof!
People can't afford to live here no more who grew up here!
How sad!
Change the state back to one who people have safety, rights,
liberties other states have & stop taxing residents to the point they no longer want to live here anymore.
I am sure our gas taxes are NOT helping the economy in CT!

Last edited by JayCT; 07-28-2013 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: Removed Calling Out of Moderator

Old 07-26-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Yes, it is personal preference…and being a summer and beach lover... NH in summer is depressing, as is it's beaches, gardening season, hrs of sunshine, number of frost free days, things to do, cities...etc.
Those depressing NH summers must explain why 93N and 95N going into NH is absolutly gridlocked with cars with CT/RI/MA plates pulling campers, boats, atv's, kayakes every friday night and 93S and 95S going into MA is gridlocked every sunday evening every day during the summer...

some depressing NH summer pictures I took recently.
Attached Thumbnails
Why do people dislike Connecticut so much?-20130713_144509.jpg   Why do people dislike Connecticut so much?-img_20110925_145114.jpg   Why do people dislike Connecticut so much?-20130717_154119.jpg  

Old 07-26-2013, 09:05 AM

413 posts, read 1,105,939 times
Pros: Gorgeous mid-century architecture. Funky rambling houses. Varied styles -- mansions and small antique barns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut