Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2019, 05:34 PM

34,054 posts, read 17,071,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
This is spot-on.

I lived in the Stamford area for more than 6 years, and my ex's large family saw a similar--although not as large of a family-exodus. His family moved south from Connecticut to North Carolina and Florida.
About half of them were at retirement age or nearing retirement age, but the rest left for better jobs in Charlotte and Raleigh, and a couple of them moved to Tampa.

Connecticut is ultimately going to become a state where middle class folks just cannot survive.
Sad, but spot on post.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dominionite View Post
Connecticut is my home state. I moved away years ago because of a lack of economic opportunity. Count me in the ranks of those young Nutmeggers who made (and continue to make) up the state's "brain drain."

In the past 20 years, nearly all of my extended family (about 30 individuals) are gone from Connecticut. The younger ones ultimately left for brighter futures in places like Boston, Dallas, or DC. The older ones left for states that are much friendlier to retirees (e.g., Florida, Tennessee, Virginia). Nobody is coming back, even if they wanted to. Only one relative is left in West Hartford. That person retires next year and is already making arrangements to move. My personal story may be somewhat atypical in terms of the actual number of family members who left, but how many of us on this thread don't know someone who left the state for greener pastures?
Its hardly an unusual story. My family, the group in prime earning years, 30s and 40s, have also fled Ct. Most have Masters degrees, all middle to upper middle class. None returning. Many are in the Southeast, a smaller quantity in the Southwest.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:40 PM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I too have a large family and a lot of friends. Some of them have moved to those low cost states because they thought they could be better off. Some did do better (it’s arguable whether they could have done the same or better here) but the majority did not. Those lower cost areas lower cost for a reason. The cost to live in a major employment center is not that much lower than it is here in Connecticut outside super pricey Fairfield County. They had to take pay cuts there. All do not live any better than those who stayed here. Several openly regret leaving. I suspect a few that don’t openly regret it, do in private.

People have been bemoaning the demise of Connecticut for as long as I can remember (really my entire life) yet here we are with virtually full employment, among the highest incomes, and a number of major employers staying and expanding. We still have the highest number of Fortune 1000 companies per capita in the country. Could it be better? Of course, but to be better may mean sacrificing a lot of the things that make Connecticut special. Jay
I also have a lot of family and friends. The ones who have left far outnumber the ones who have stayed.

Old 06-06-2019, 05:57 PM

385 posts, read 363,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Its hardly an unusual story. My family, the group in prime earning years, 30s and 40s, have also fled Ct. Most have Masters degrees, all middle to upper middle class. None returning. Many are in the Southeast, a smaller quantity in the Southwest.

I have a nephew and niece, both recent Ivy League graduates who have moved to Dallas and Orlando to start their careers.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markfromct View Post
I have a nephew and niece, both recent Ivy League graduates who have moved to Dallas and Orlando to start their careers.
Small world. I have a niece in Orlando, who is a lawyer, and MIT grad nephew in a Dallas suburb.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:40 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I also know a lot of kids coming out of college in the past couple years. The majority are remaining here. Sure some have left but the majority found jobs here at places like Travelers, Aetna, The Hartford, Pratt & Whitney, Electric Boat and others. This is not unusual or different than other states these days. Jay

Old 06-07-2019, 04:57 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
You said specially “income taxes” which went from 5.5 to 5.25, essentially lowering the income tax as your bet claimed.

Listen CT is the best, I know.

That's the reduction I;ve been waiting for. Time to do scouting trip. I will save about $88, but that's $88 a year every year. In 100 years I will save $8,800. I can start a dynasty with that kind of money.

CT is not the best, this state is a ****hole run by democrats since at least 1798 and nothing ever changes.
No one should live here nor should any one move here for any reason until the end of time.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:02 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
The central issues are the unfunded pension and retiree healthcare costs. Neither party has presented a meaningful solution to funding these liabilities. That should have been the central focus of legislators but instead they focused on popular topical issues which were easier to get passed. Unfortunately it now looks like we will have to wait another year to address the problem.

It should be noted, that in the case of teachers, many younger teachers realize that the current pension program needs to be changed as it is not portable, it penalizes young teachers who aren't likely to work one job 30 years or more, and it hurts their Social Security. The fact that neither legislators nor the teachers unions will even have the discussion to amend the program is troubling. The far right comes with a plan to strip away everything and the unions defensively work to preserve status quo. In my opinion, the unions are afraid to present a solution because they realize the far right will perceive it as an opportunity to dismantle the unions. The solution needs to come from an apolitical group that delivers a reasonable detailed plan absent of individual party talking points.

If Connecticut could get these two major components under control it would be a big boost of confidence for our residents and a positive signal to those outside looking at our fiscal health.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:20 AM

6,588 posts, read 4,975,313 times
Ok, so does anyone believe Lamont is going to lure companies to CT from anti-abortion states? I don't.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:30 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,490,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
That's the reduction I;ve been waiting for. Time to do scouting trip. I will save about $88, but that's $88 a year every year. In 100 years I will save $8,800. I can start a dynasty with that kind of money.

CT is not the best, this state is a ****hole run by democrats since at least 1798 and nothing ever changes.
No one should live here nor should any one move here for any reason until the end of time.
Again, value was not part of the bet. You said “I bet North Carolina didn’t lower their income taxes,”

As you stated above, you would save $88 a year which is lower than the previous year. So, they did lower their income taxes. You’re bet made no mention of value. It could have been a penny, still lower.

Court of City-data finds in favor of Mr-250. Lol

Anyways, I know it’s all in jest. No way people are moving to save a year what my truck cost to fill up in one gas station trip. CT is a great state and I hope it finds its footing somehow, which it will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut