Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2022, 04:32 PM

252 posts, read 139,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
CT is modernizing and growing economies in FFC and NH County. Hundred percent no question there isn't anything anyone can do about it. It cannot be denied.
They better hope so for their sake! Though it's more than a little late now. I've noticed a lot of your posts make claims about what 'cannot be denied'. Unless of course you look at the actual numbers.

Old 08-16-2022, 04:48 PM

6,908 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okbymeman View Post
They better hope so for their sake! Though it's more than a little late now. I've noticed a lot of your posts make claims about what 'cannot be denied'. Unless of course you look at the actual numbers.
All I have to do is look out the window, not just the numbers. It's palpable. They've already done the heavy lifting here, go back and scroll through numerous threads and posts with the latest examples. Companies leasing new space, new defense contracts, bio startups, 8-30g buildups, on and on. Set aside some time.
I know one guy in semiconductor chip maker development who two years ago had 20 engineers under him, today he's over 70 and needs more. Asks me if I know anyone. New grad positions start at 75K.
CT is on fire and no one can do anything to stop it, you can only hope to contain it.
CT does need highway infrastructure upgraded no doubt, I do understand that.
NJ has great beaches though.

Old 08-16-2022, 08:59 PM

252 posts, read 139,193 times
Quote:
All I have to do is look out the window, not just the numbers. It's palpable. They've already done the heavy lifting here, go back and scroll through numerous threads and posts with the latest examples. Companies leasing new space, new defense contracts, bio startups, 8-30g buildups, on and on. Set aside some time.
I know one guy in semiconductor chip maker development who two years ago had 20 engineers under him, today he's over 70 and needs more. Asks me if I know anyone. New grad positions start at 75K.
CT is on fire and no one can do anything to stop it, you can only hope to contain it.
CT does need highway infrastructure upgraded no doubt, I do understand that.
NJ has great beaches though.
75k is nothing. You can barely afford a 250k house on that, and houses that cheap in the decent parts of CT are non-existent. The fact that you think 75k is some kind of impressive wage for the tri-state area is a great example of what's wrong with CT.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:08 PM

809 posts, read 469,544 times
Quote:
It doesn’t surprise me, CT has been doing everything wrong for a long time even while our neighbors modernize and grow their economies. We are basically a Rust Belt state now outside of FFC and pockets of Litchfield County.
Hartford Metro is one of the most productive in the country. CT also has really good manufacturing capacity as the state has actively worked to secure Pratt Whtiney, Sikorsky, US Coast Guard, General Dynamics Electric Boat, etc. for the long-term. Middlesex Co. is also pretty well of as well.

Old 08-16-2022, 10:10 PM

809 posts, read 469,544 times
Quote:
75k is nothing. You can barely afford a 250k house on that, and houses that cheap in the decent parts of CT are non-existent. The fact that you think 75k is some kind of impressive wage for the tri-state area is a great example of what's wrong with CT.
For a new grad if reading the post carefully before commenting. CT is doing just fine and has a newfound confidence about itself, which I like.

Old 08-16-2022, 11:00 PM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
CT is modernizing and growing economies in FFC and NH County. Hundred percent no question there isn't anything anyone can do about it. It cannot be denied.
NY and MA are rust belts away from Infallible Boston, NYC, and Westchester/LI. NJ is a mess, everyone's born to run - away. Higher taxes than CT, thank God it has the shore and great beaches.
This is not true at all.
-nj is not a ‘mess’. Its positioned similarly to CT. It’s actually doing quite well. Taxes are very high, but each large city grew by 10-15% or more. Lakewood grew by 43% in 10 years to over 100k.
-mass is not a rust belt state away from Boston. Cape Cod, Berkshires, the shorelines.
-nys is not as bad as described.
-ct isnt a rust belt state

Old 08-17-2022, 05:59 AM

6,908 posts, read 3,746,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcal2k19 View Post
For a new grad if reading the post carefully before commenting. CT is doing just fine and has a newfound confidence about itself, which I like.
That's right, 75 was for the entry level positions for the most recent undergrads. These personnel aren't buying homes anywhere yet on salary alone, especially not NY and NJ and Real FL - the playground for the rich and famous.
CT is doing a good job of building up 8-30gs for these people so they can share 2 and 3 bedroom apts while they kickstart their careers with CT based firms.
In the coming years, as more social liberal minded individuals gradually make their way back to the Northeast or even first-timers, those who can financially, CT can only stand to benefit. It's a win-win for the state. It's just a matter of time before CT makes it's way near the top of that ranking. The wheels are already in motion.

Old 08-17-2022, 06:33 AM

7,925 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Eh.. policies dictate a fair amount. Transit plays into it, cost of living.

Some of this back and forth with covid exodus to suburbs and then work from home and then going back to the office gets confusing. If businesses actually own their building that's a big plus. If they don't... A local restaurant near me closed because the sole owner died. No issue with staff or customers, quality of food or pricing etc. He didn't own the restaurant and didn't have a designated co-owner so it's closed and everyone was pretty much let go. They weren't even doing bad financially. It might sound odd to have it but maybe businesses like a will or trust just like people do.

There's plenty of a cheaper houses in eastern CT. Quit playing like I91 is checkpoint charley.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M47460-99165

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...4_M35778-77473

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M48078-48832

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M46272-11179

Old 08-17-2022, 08:29 AM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Since when is a starting salary of $75,000 a year for new grads “nothing”? That’s just ridiculous. $75,000 a year is very good money even here in Connecticut. Few new grads are in a position to buy a house on their own so to question that is absurd.

Most singles these days buy condos as their first home and $250,000 gets you a pretty nice condo in a nice town. Most people buying a single family home are double income couples making $125,000 to $150,000 together. That salary gets you a very nice house outside the pricier parts of Fairfield County. In fact I know a young couple here doing that right now. It’s not bad really. Jay

Old 08-17-2022, 08:31 AM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
???? This is so wrong on so many levels.

I make just about that in NJ. Your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut