Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2017, 07:36 AM

898 posts, read 597,716 times

Advertisements

I'm a supplier in the commercial construction sector. I see almost every type of project that comes up for bid. Little to no OFFICE construction. Little to no MANUFACTURING construction. Municipal jobs such as police and public safety there are a few scattered around. Still state funded school projects, but they are so competitive I hardly bother. I can't afford to take on 2-3 year projects at single digit margins. I expect that the ones that have not been funded will or have been cut due to the state's fiscal disaster, so school jobs will be rare for the next several years. RETAIL... Only work out in quantity is retail. They aren't huge, and the end result is low paying retail jobs. Dollar Tree's, Burlington Coat, Clothing stores.

So, economic climate in CT pretty much sucks.

Don't think about moving here. If your family income is say $80K where you are and you are living a comfortable middle class existence, you probably have to get $100-$120K to offset the higher cost of living here. Big businesses, are leaving, and going to leave devastation in the small businesses that support the big businesses.

Over the last 4 years, I think I personally know of around 25 families who have left the state. A friend of mine just put his house on the market this week, moving to Florida. My daughter is trying to find employment outside of the state.

We went to a restaurant last night for dinner. At the peak of the dinner hour. The 6 or so tables out on the sidewalk were occupied. We went into the dining room of around 20 tables. There was ONE family of 4 in there. The rest of the restaurant was empty. I think there were some happy hour leftovers in the bar section, but the restaurant was DEAD, on FRIDAY night, during the peak dinner time. I don't know how they can pay their rent.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:15 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
I'm a supplier in the commercial construction sector. I see almost every type of project that comes up for bid. Little to no OFFICE construction. Little to no MANUFACTURING construction. Municipal jobs such as police and public safety there are a few scattered around. Still state funded school projects, but they are so competitive I hardly bother. I can't afford to take on 2-3 year projects at single digit margins. I expect that the ones that have not been funded will or have been cut due to the state's fiscal disaster, so school jobs will be rare for the next several years. RETAIL... Only work out in quantity is retail. They aren't huge, and the end result is low paying retail jobs. Dollar Tree's, Burlington Coat, Clothing stores.

Don't think about moving here. If your family income is say $80K where you are and you are living a comfortable middle class existence, you probably have to get $100-$120K to offset the higher cost of living here. Big businesses, are leaving, and going to leave devastation in the small businesses that support the big businesses.

Over the last 4 years, I think I personally know of around 25 families who have left the state. A friend of mine just put his house on the market this week, moving to Florida. My daughter is trying to find employment outside of the state.

We went to a restaurant last night for dinner. At the peak of the dinner hour. The 6 or so tables out on the sidewalk were occupied. We went into the dining room of around 20 tables. There was ONE family of 4 in there. The rest of the restaurant was empty. I think there were some happy hour leftovers in the bar section, but the restaurant was DEAD, on FRIDAY night, during the peak dinner time. I don't know how they can pay their rent.
Same industry as you. We are slow and so are our competition. Couple companies keeping busy but mainly slow. I actually was transferred to a project out of state and it looks like I will be here for another year unless something's changes.

It's slow out there now.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:34 AM

14,053 posts, read 13,929,555 times
"Connecticut has a spending problem, not a revenue problem, said Boughton, who blamed the income tax for the exodus of residents and businesses to other states. Since it came onto the books, he said, the state has lost $13.7 billion in net adjusted gross income."

"Boughton would offset lost income-tax revenue with a downsizing of state government and regionalization of some municipal services."

Boughton pushes for state income tax repeal - Connecticut Post

Old 06-10-2017, 09:58 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
"Connecticut has a spending problem, not a revenue problem, said Boughton, who blamed the income tax for the exodus of residents and businesses to other states. Since it came onto the books, he said, the state has lost $13.7 billion in net adjusted gross income."

"Boughton would offset lost income-tax revenue with a downsizing of state government and regionalization of some municipal services."

Boughton pushes for state income tax repeal - Connecticut Post
It's true. CT faced a revenue issue in the early 90s and income tax was created. Over the years spending went unregulated in CT. Finally catching up in 10 year's. Instead of saving money they cut money to vital services in the State.

I am in favor of tolls with no gas tax. Increase sales tax. Income tax for 5 year's on those making $75,000 then no income tax after 5 year's. Small flat taxes on residents for healthcare, environment, and tuition paid community colleges for part time/full time students. Do away with Estate Tax. Taxes on alcohol, cigarettes, and marijuana. Lower the tax rate for businesses and make bussiness taxes a flat rate.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:46 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post

I am not sure what restaurants you go to but the ones I go to are nothing like that. Friday and Saturday nights are always busy with many requiring a wait for tables. We are just entering the summer vacation season which may have something to do with the slowness you saw last night.

As to people leaving the state I can say that I know of only one that left in the last four years and they did so to do an early semi-retirement in Florida. He is also in construction. She in food services. Both came back here last year to work for a time because they were just not making enough down there to suit them. They made more here in two months here than they did in 10 months down there. Jay

Old 06-10-2017, 10:58 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure what restaurants you go to but the ones I go to are nothing like that. Friday and Saturday nights are always busy with many requiring a wait for tables. We are just entering the summer vacation season which may have something to do with the slowness you saw last night.
Jay
Many by me are also dead 5 of 7 nights per week. I know folks who run them, and in any state, they require more than 20% of tables filled weekday nights also. Plus, they all should have significant waits Friday and Saturdays. (When I lived near Nashville, on those nights, waits started at 45 minutes minimum. For that reason, I avoided those peak times.) Especially as the non wait staff wages have risen dramatically the last 20 years the requirement to do better 7 days a week rose (Minimum wage tied).

I know a few doing well, but many struggling. I am comparing the traffic I see at them versus prior years, as even when in Tn, I took vacations to Ct at this time of year, plus Christmas. Same restaurants in Milford are down vs say, 2013, IMO.

Every Ct tax or fee hike of any kind is taking discretionary income away..the income most often spent at restaurants. Causation..I think so.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:21 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:

As to people leaving the state I can say that I know of only one that left in the last four years and they did so to do an early semi-retirement in Florida. He is also in construction. She in food services. Both came back here last year to work for a time because they were just not making enough down there to suit them. They made more here in two months here than they did in 10 months down there. Jay
I agree that restaurants always have a wait. Down here, even on Wednesdays and Thursdays, there are waits for a table at many places. It's actually quite frustrating!

Re: people leaving, I recently read an article that incomes for similar positions is now closer than ever between states, showing that in lower cost states, you're actually better off. I know the days of police officers and other government employees making less in southern states are over. Many have caught up to Connecticut, and some are even higher.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:47 PM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree that restaurants always have a wait. Down here, even on Wednesdays and Thursdays, there are waits for a table at many places. It's actually quite frustrating!

Re: people leaving, I recently read an article that incomes for similar positions is now closer than ever between states, showing that in lower cost states, you're actually better off. I know the days of police officers and other government employees making less in southern states are over. Many have caught up to Connecticut, and some are even higher.
If true, can higher taxes be far behind? Jay

Old 06-10-2017, 01:00 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
If and when taxes in those states rise (which because of their healthy economies, is probably not going to happen), you can guarantee CT's will have gone up at the same rate by then.

Old 06-10-2017, 01:05 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Not likely. They have solid Grand List growth, ever single year. In addition, they controlled state and local employee legacy costs and headcount well, having seen many other states fail to do so.

If Ct had only done that, starting decades ago, we'd have a healthier economy. Instead, we emulated the D3's worst practices of decades past (excessive employee cost-including legacy), and those led them to Bankruptcy.

To answer JayCt's question: My city of residence in Tn, 2004-2014, like most around it, almost never raised taxes. We did once during that time, by under 3%. Our population went up more than 50%, services improved, new development was an everyday occurrence. But taxes stayed low and flat, all but 1 year with a minor hike.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut