Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2017, 12:18 PM

504 posts, read 384,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerisgood02 View Post
I'm very nervous and shaking over the idea of an extra $200 tax bill this year.
Who cares?
Good then open up your checkbook and write out check to your town then... I'm sure they would be rather appreciative. I rather keep my $200 since I pay enough in taxes.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:18 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Right now, Stamford has the most dynamic economy in the state,” said Joe McGee, vice president of public policy for the Business Council of Fairfield County. “It’s diverse and dynamic. The conditions for growth are very positive in Stamford.”

Stamford leads Connecticut big cities in 2016 employment - StamfordAdvocate

Old 06-14-2017, 04:09 PM

570 posts, read 476,995 times
I personally don't see the quality of jobs improving in Stamford. The heavy financial hitters have basically abandoned the city. While politicians love to talk unemployment %, the reality is that wages have either dipped in certain professions or likely stagnant for over a decade. I also looked at WARN report for 2017 and there are 25% more filings that this time in 2016 but nearly 100% (staggering) increase in people let go. Sure, a bulk are closing of ShopRite, JC Penney and Walmart but not good no matter how you spin it.

Old 06-14-2017, 04:20 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
I personally don't see the quality of jobs improving in Stamford. The heavy financial hitters have basically abandoned the city. While politicians love to talk unemployment %, the reality is that wages have either dipped in certain professions or likely stagnant for over a decade. I also looked at WARN report for 2017 and there are 25% more filings that this time in 2016 but nearly 100% (staggering) increase in people let go. Sure, a bulk are closing of ShopRite, JC Penney and Walmart but not good no matter how you spin it.
Exactly, it's leading against such stellar juggernauts like Bridgeport, NH, Hartford, and Waterbury. Tell us something we don't know.

"It’s because of our proximity to New York City" - Jack Condlin said it himself in the article

Old 06-14-2017, 04:52 PM

14,045 posts, read 13,917,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Yank View Post
Online shopping reason for JC Penney closing some stores Amazon is taking over. I predict in 10-15 years 30% of jobs will be by machines or computer

Old 06-14-2017, 05:19 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Not surprising, Stamford has been named by Kipplinger as having the highest percentage of millionaires. Jay

Where Millionaires Live in America 2017

Old 06-14-2017, 05:25 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Right now, Stamford has the most dynamic economy in the state,” said Joe McGee, vice president of public policy for the Business Council of Fairfield County. “It’s diverse and dynamic. The conditions for growth are very positive in Stamford.”

Stamford leads Connecticut big cities in 2016 employment - StamfordAdvocate
While I don't doubt Stamford is a very strong economy, unemployment of residents isn't a measure of businesses in the city. Odd article. Stamford's low unemployment is natural in such an expensive area, where many commuters work in NYC. Of course the rate is going to be lower than a city that struggles with pockets of poverty...

Old 06-14-2017, 05:47 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Exactly, it's leading against such stellar juggernauts like Bridgeport, NH, Hartford, and Waterbury. Tell us something we don't know.

"It’s because of our proximity to New York City" - Jack Condlin said it himself in the article
Bingo. All other Ct cities are in tragic shape. Stamford is doing ok. When did ok win bragging rights?

Old 06-14-2017, 06:22 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
That's a bit simplistic. What Tennessee does is game the system. They have no State income tax. There are minimal state services. In the poor counties, Tennessee just passes on what the Feds give them. The affluent places like the 'burbs south of Nashville use a local sales tax and local property taxes to fund affluent people services. If you're white trash in Eastern Tennessee or deep South African American poor along the Mississippi River/Memphis, you get no services. Regressive red state government. Great if you're a physician at Vanderbilt or an entertainment industry millionaire living in Belle Meade or Brentwood. You'll happily pay 9.25% sales tax on everything including food & clothing along with local property taxes rather than getting nailed with a state income tax. You get your gold plated local services. You don't care about Medicaid/CHIP, Head Start, Title I, Section 8, TANF, or SNAP because everybody in your town is affluent. The rest of the state gets zip.

Texas has similar math.
I just looked up a 3 million dollar home in Nashville, right outside of Brentwood. Property taxes are 13K

In contrast I pulled up a house in Glastonbury. Zestimate is 776K. Taxes are almost 19K.

If Nashville doesn't count, give me another location to look up. Brentwood doesn't have tax data after 2007.

I also found a Nashville 5 mil at 34K and Glastonbury 5 mil at 45K

5 million in Southport is 99K in taxes

(for the one person here who seems to miss my point when I post - it's that TN still has lower taxes than CT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix2791 View Post
We are so screwed. I'd like to keep my money too - I lose way too much to taxes these days.

Old 06-14-2017, 06:38 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

We are so screwed. I'd like to keep my money too - I lose way too much to taxes these days.
It is selfish of you (sar) to not want to give every last penny to the government.

After all, they are such fine stewards of the public trust They hit every budget projection accurately (sar).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut