Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2017, 07:17 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You are right, the state has a lot more potential but that is no reason to CONSTANTLY complain and find fault in EVERYTHING including good news. I seriously wonder how many of these posters do anything more than complain. Do they contact their state representatives? Are they involved n local matters? I doubt it. It is just easier to complain here. Jay.
No One is finding fault in Amazon unprovoked. You brought it up during conversation about yet another mega loss to the state--one that is not replaceable unless Amazon itself relos here...

recently was successful in creating 3 new jobs--an incredibly rewarding experience. I couldn't have done it without the help of leaders (true leaders) within the organization or their money...but I also could not have done it without doing lots of [meaningful] research, lots of dedicated time, and a focus on the larger purpose and how these roles get us there....in fact, with how difficult it is to successfully recruit here, I had to design the dept structure with that in mind. That is to say, it needed to be designed in a way that could turn one our many experience-less and eager-to-leave graduates into a useful product in less than a year with minimal codependency on the best talent. Done. Took a few months. So if I can work around our states problems, why can't our government do the same with hundreds of millions of dollars, hundreds to thousands of people and autonomous authority? Too busy worrying about where North Carolina tranny's take a turd?

Last edited by Sigequinox; 06-11-2017 at 07:34 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 05:40 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
If true, can higher taxes be far behind? Jay
Higher taxes are result of "progressive" policy. If TN or Wyoming gets a lot of people supporting these policies, be sure they will ruin those states. Californians are already doing it to Colorado and Arizona, after they got done with Oregon and Washington state.

Quote:
Once again the naysayers are out in force. "Amazon jobs are not good enough". "Giving $30 million to a hedge fund to keep and expand high paying jobs here is not right". Ignoring the fact that three of our largest employers are expanding and making major commitments here. It just never ends. Are they ever satisfied? Jay
If anybody points out a problem with CT, then something is wrong with them, not CT? It's a very condescending attitude. Attitude is actually a very important reason for a person to like or dislike a place.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:56 AM

504 posts, read 384,579 times
Quote:
CONSTANTLY complain and find fault in EVERYTHING including good news. I seriously wonder how many of these posters do anything more than complain.
I'm sorry I just can't sit on the sidelines, and accept mediocrity. It's great that AMAZON is creating jobs. Lord knows CT needs as much as it can get, but we need to create a hell of a lot more in State, and current economic policies are just not helping the situation, but exasperating it. I would love to see CT steal companies from MA, but it's just not gonna happen. MA and many other States will continue to exploit us, and honestly I can't blame them. Were ripe for the picking.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:59 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
GE CEO Immelt is stepping down as CEO.

Should have stayed in CT. That would never have happened. Maybe Aetna will change its mind and stay?

Old 06-12-2017, 09:11 AM

370 posts, read 608,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post

Should have stayed in CT. That would never have happened. Maybe Aetna will change its mind and stay?
Huh? How would this announcement impact Aetna's decision? lol

Old 06-12-2017, 09:25 AM

9,873 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:

Immelt stepping down has been in the works for years. He's been in place for 17 years and although he has transformed the company, the stock price is below what it was when he took over. The new guy is the head of GE medical and I see that sector as a driving force in the company.

His retiring will have no effect on Aetna's decision.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:33 AM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
Huh? How would this announcement impact Aetna's decision? lol
You fell for Mr_250's hook, line and sinker, lol.

Aetna isn't changing no minds. These relos has been in the works for some time.

Old 06-12-2017, 09:42 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
You fell for Mr_250's hook, line and sinker, lol.

Aetna isn't changing no minds. These relos has been in the works for some time.
I wasn't joking. We all say that big corporations follow each other so maybe Aetna seeing this is an eye opener to them because they were safe in Fairfield. Now they are in Boston and it fell apart.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:16 AM

370 posts, read 608,383 times
Quote:
I wasn't joking. We all say that big corporations follow each other so maybe Aetna seeing this is an eye opener to them because they were safe in Fairfield. Now they are in Boston and it fell apart.
Do you really think GE started to struggle since they left Fairfield for Boston? Lmao, GE has been a stock price disaster since 2001. If anything, GE should have bolted out of Fairfield a dozen years ago for Boston.

Old 06-12-2017, 11:43 AM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Higher taxes are result of "progressive" policy. If TN or Wyoming gets a lot of people supporting these policies, be sure they will ruin those states. Californians are already doing it to Colorado and Arizona, after they got done with Oregon and Washington state.

If anybody points out a problem with CT, then something is wrong with them, not CT? It's a very condescending attitude. Attitude is actually a very important reason for a person to like or dislike a place.
How are California, Oregon and Washington doing poorly? How is Colorado not considered a state with progressive-leaning policies?

I think there are some general issues that underline a lot of the Upper Midwest and Northeast. Some of it has to do with them being older legacy cities that built infrastructure (buildings, roads, transit, utilities, etc.) that have been nearing their last legs for a while so upkeep and replacement, with the large population and density already in store, is prohibitively expensive for many municipalities. The other is that the balkanization into many small municipalities has meant a lot of inefficiencies of government and services along with odd infighting that doesn't help the larger region.

One great thing that happened with Nashville, aside from the advent of air conditioning and widely available electricity as well as directed federal investment into the area, is the consolidation of the then small city with the county decades ago. It meant much larger regional direction in government, much less unnecessary redundancy in services, and the ability to direct resources for greater net benefit (it also prevented the city from going completely to seed when people moved further out by not suddenly having its core drained of its tax base while still having to provide services to the general area).

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 06-12-2017 at 11:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut