Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2017, 04:05 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Some good news for North Haven and CT.

https://patch.com/connecticut/northh...ng-north-haven
I think this is great. Creating 1,800 jobs will be awesome. Plus, I like they are using and is pratt building which is cool.

Old 06-09-2017, 05:01 PM

14,047 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Well job is job whether it poor or rich

Last edited by JayCT; 06-09-2017 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted post

Old 06-09-2017, 05:12 PM

44 posts, read 47,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Have they announced similar facilities in Rhode Island, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine? IF so, I did not hear of it. Remember they also have a smaller fulfillment center in Windsor where several hundred are already employed. Jay

A few thoughts...

Any new jobs are good news. And CT ought to have its own fulfillment center.

Amazon is already in Nashua, NH serving VT, NH, and ME.

Amazon has a new facility this year in Fall River, MA serving RI and MA.

IFFFFFF Amazon steals sales from brick and mortar stores ANYWHERE... well... we will just have to see how all this plays out.

Ultimately, if high-paying jobs exit CT and are replaced only with low-paying service jobs, I suspect at some point CT's local COL should reflect this. Oh sure, as long as there is a Wall Street, Fairfield County and Stamford should do just fine. But if folks in the other counties have no good economic options, at some point property will need to collapse to what the market will bear. (That is, if everyone in CT is working for Amazon and Walmart, either those corps wages will NEED to rise or home values will NEED to collapse or REAL high-paying jobs will have to show up from somewhere.)

As usual, I have no idea what will happen. But I don't need to. The market will sort it all out.

Old 06-09-2017, 07:46 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,910,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakes View Post
A few thoughts...

Any new jobs are good news. And CT ought to have its own fulfillment center.

Amazon is already in Nashua, NH serving VT, NH, and ME.

Amazon has a new facility this year in Fall River, MA serving RI and MA.

IFFFFFF Amazon steals sales from brick and mortar stores ANYWHERE... well... we will just have to see how all this plays out.

Ultimately, if high-paying jobs exit CT and are replaced only with low-paying service jobs, I suspect at some point CT's local COL should reflect this. Oh sure, as long as there is a Wall Street, Fairfield County and Stamford should do just fine. But if folks in the other counties have no good economic options, at some point property will need to collapse to what the market will bear. (That is, if everyone in CT is working for Amazon and Walmart, either those corps wages will NEED to rise or home values will NEED to collapse or REAL high-paying jobs will have to show up from somewhere.)

As usual, I have no idea what will happen. But I don't need to. The market will sort it all out.
And Amazon already has two facilities in our state employing about 2,000 people. Isn't it better they build this here than another nearby state? I also do not get those that poo poo jobs like these. We certainly need jobs at ALL levels. Not everyone in our state is a college educated professional. Jay

Old 06-09-2017, 07:50 PM

34,015 posts, read 17,041,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
And Amazon already has two facilities in our state employing about 2,000 people. Isn't it better they build this here than another nearby state? I also do not get those that poo poo jobs like these. We certainly need jobs at ALL levels. Not everyone in our state is a college educated professional. Jay
It is good news. Not corp hq level, but good.

It will replace the massive retail losses to come. And that is what Amazon wants.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:01 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,510,143 times
Connecticut needs to invest more in the skilled trades. There is a massive shortage of electricians, hvac technicians, plumbers, etc.

These jobs pay extremely well and most companies are now offering sign on bonuses for as much as 5k as they are desperate for skilled people.

Old 06-10-2017, 05:47 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Connecticut needs to invest more in the skilled trades. There is a massive shortage of electricians, hvac technicians, plumbers, etc.

These jobs pay extremely well and most companies are now offering sign on bonuses for as much as 5k as they are desperate for skilled people.
There is also a significant shortage of skilled workers in multiple areas of manufacturing. Some high schools have gotten the message and are developing partner programs with community colleges like Asnuntuck. However, there still is a significant stigma attached to many of these programs which is often perpetuated by local BOEs, education leaders, counselors and teachers who implicitly and explicitly communicate to the parents and students that these are second-class options and they are inferior to a traditional college path.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:08 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,691,289 times
CT Blue Collar work force has been mostly replaced by White Collar Jobs and Minimum Wage jobs.

Lot of trade and skill workers are being replaced. Jobs are either going overseas or robots. Have to say though CT has some amazing tech high school's.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
CT Blue Collar work force has been mostly replaced by White Collar Jobs and Minimum Wage jobs.

Lot of trade and skill workers are being replaced. Jobs are either going overseas or robots. Have to say though CT has some amazing tech high school's.
Wrong. None of these skilled trades are going overseas or being replaced. The demand for them is HUGE. How can you replace people that keep your water running, electricity flowing, and heat and a/c running with robots?

I am an licensed HVAC technician with 10 years of experience. Overtime is available basically 24/7 if I wanted it.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
There is also a significant shortage of skilled workers in multiple areas of manufacturing. Some high schools have gotten the message and are developing partner programs with community colleges like Asnuntuck. However, there still is a significant stigma attached to many of these programs which is often perpetuated by local BOEs, education leaders, counselors and teachers who implicitly and explicitly communicate to the parents and students that these are second-class options and they are inferior to a traditional college path.
Can't agree more. My last year in High School in the late 90's they were closing down the entire tech section. Automotive, wood working, electrical etc all gutted.

You can get into one of these skilled trades with basically nothing but be willing to work. No student loans and college debt.

CNC machinists are in huge demand. My friends father who is one wants to retire but they keep offering him more money to stay as they can't find someone to replace him. He said hes making in the 40's an hour with endless overtime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut