Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2017, 06:14 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,000 times

Advertisements

Inability to file bankruptcy is a negative, not a positive.

Old 06-09-2017, 08:52 AM

538 posts, read 331,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Some good news for North Haven and CT.

https://patch.com/connecticut/northh...ng-north-haven
Amazon is expanding/growing like crazy, this will probably happen 3-4 more times in CT as Amazon puts distribution/fulfillment centers in every state to eventually be able to have same day shipping in the future. So I just kind of laugh to myself as this is portrayed as a 'win' (yes jobs are good, but I don't think anyone lost) whereas I see it as Amazon inevitably being everywhere.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:14 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,943,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchem View Post
Amazon is expanding/growing like crazy, this will probably happen 3-4 more times in CT as Amazon puts distribution/fulfillment centers in every state to eventually be able to have same day shipping in the future. So I just kind of laugh to myself as this is portrayed as a 'win' (yes jobs are good, but I don't think anyone lost) whereas I see it as Amazon inevitably being everywhere.
Just curious - does it have to be a zero sum game for the state to get a "win?" More jobs are more jobs. Even if they are not the highest paying.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Just curious - does it have to be a zero sum game for the state to get a "win?" More jobs are more jobs. Even if they are not the highest paying.
Win means successful outcome of a contest. If it's a contest that means when someone wins, someone else lost.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:36 AM

82 posts, read 99,317 times
Right, It's not like Malloy enticed or lured Amazon to our state. It was probably inevitable that Amazon would set up a shop here for same day delivery. Hopefully it will offset the amount of mall jobs that will be lost in the near future.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:38 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,311,589 times
These aren't replacement jobs for the jobs lost because of GE, Aetna, Pfizer, and MetLife. Jobs at Amazon have a very high turnover rate and pay extremely low compared to the jobs we need to sustain income tax revenue growth. These are a lot of jobs which is a good thing, but not the jobs CT should look forward to.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:40 AM

4,453 posts, read 3,346,956 times
Quote:
Win means successful outcome of a contest. If it's a contest that means when someone wins, someone else lost.
I said "good news". You said the word "win", not me.

Old 06-09-2017, 11:41 AM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
A $255 million investment and 1,800 jobs that could have easily gone to any number of nearby states is a win in my book. At a time when people are lamenting the loss of 200 jobs at GE and the potential loss of a couple of hundred more at Aetna, this is welcome news for our state. Despite the so-called unfriendly business environment here, the state has seen some significant major investments and commitments from major companies including Federal Express, UTC, Electric Boat, Sikorsky, Bridgewater and others. Jay

Old 06-09-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
I said "good news". You said the word "win", not me.
The article called it a 'win'

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
A $255 million investment and 1,800 jobs that could have easily gone to any number of nearby states is a win in my book. At a time when people are lamenting the loss of 200 jobs at GE and the potential loss of a couple of hundred more at Aetna, this is welcome news for our state. Despite the so-called unfriendly business environment here, the state has seen some significant major investments and commitments from major companies including Federal Express, UTC, Electric Boat, Sikorsky, Bridgewater and others. Jay
As said above, it's not a win because Amazon will be in CT regardless. They will also be in every other state with distribution centers near lots of population centers. These jobs are also going to other states. CT didn't get this at the expense of another state, they got it because Amazon is going to be everywhere. It's basically the replacement for the jobs that will be lost in other retail locations in the years to come.

Old 06-09-2017, 03:05 PM

34,926 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
The article called it a 'win'

As said above, it's not a win because Amazon will be in CT regardless. They will also be in every other state with distribution centers near lots of population centers. These jobs are also going to other states. CT didn't get this at the expense of another state, they got it because Amazon is going to be everywhere. It's basically the replacement for the jobs that will be lost in other retail locations in the years to come.
Have they announced similar facilities in Rhode Island, New York, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine? IF so, I did not hear of it. Remember they also have a smaller fulfillment center in Windsor where several hundred are already employed. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut