Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2017, 09:53 PM

34,007 posts, read 17,035,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Uhhh... I am sure our politicians said the same thing 40 years ago. Also those states are booming now but they also get hit very hard during downturns. And by all accounts that I see states that rely heavily on Federal money, like a Tennessee as MrGompers pointed out, are going to be hit pretty hard as the current administration reduces the size of subsidies and spending. Fortunately most of Connecticuts federal money goes to military and transportation, two areas that they plan to expand spending. Jay

They were hit hard in 2008, but they recovered very fast, and added far more jobs since then versus what were lost for the 12 months following the crash.

We're under-performing the nation long-term here in Ct (job creation). We need to stop pretending it is not a systemic, long-term issue. We need to stop pretending we do not rank far down in the bottom half rankings of business friendly states. I suspect and fear, as bad as the exodus of GE and AETNA hqs feels, we are apt to see far worse if we do not change our tax corps big time, spend money like water, Big Gov't ways.

Old 06-10-2017, 10:04 PM

We rank 43rd in overall business climate.

https://www.cbia.com/news/issues-pol...proposals-die/

Old 06-10-2017, 11:45 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,419,778 times
Quote:
Uhhh... I am sure our politicians said the same thing 40 years ago. Also those states are booming now but they also get hit very hard during downturns. And by all accounts that I see states that rely heavily on Federal money, like a Tennessee as MrGompers pointed out, are going to be hit pretty hard as the current administration reduces the size of subsidies and spending. Fortunately most of Connecticuts federal money goes to military and transportation, two areas that they plan to expand spending. Jay
They might have said something 40 yea ago, but in true CT fashion they didn't do $@&/. hit hard during recessions? CT is basically still in the recession and those states are booming. Have been for years. It's another one of those observations with no real merit because it hasn't actually produced any meaningful advantage, just like our "super elite college education percentages".it doesn't matter if another states gets sucked into a black hole after a recession, so long as it gets spit out of the event horizon better off than it started it's already ahead of the CT curve.

Anyway, even if your crystal ball were right, and Alabama descends to shawl-wearing, terrorist-loving, economy-hating yuppies giving handouts to crackheads with a tax bill to prove it, then those on city-data still have 40 years to worry about having to move back to CT to live a life of recession in perpetuity. Until then...

Old 06-11-2017, 04:55 AM

898 posts, read 597,322 times
Won't name it, but a restaurant on Main Street in Middletown. If you are familiar with downtown Middletown, there has to be at least 30 restaurants on Main or just a few feet down the side streets. We actually got a parking spot pretty much in front of the restaurant. Perhaps with the density of restaurants on Main Street, after work hours (street is busy during the day, lots of small offices and "some" shopping), there is just too much competition.

Up at Westfarms Mall, they had a Ruby Tuesday, where you ALWAYS had to wait for a booth....Closed two months ago. Red Robin across the street, always packed on Friday. Applebees in Plainville, always packed. I don't know the attraction to chain restaurants, but dinnertime on Friday at least, they pack them in for high priced mediocre food. Won't even go into Chili's anymore, the menu is so awful.

CT is STILL in recession and has not recovered.

Malloy is boasting about Amazon coming to New Haven with a new "fulfillment center". Know what "fulfillment center" means? It's a big warehouse, and most of the jobs are going to be low paying jobs with people pulling orders and filling boxes. Don't get me wrong, New Haven has a big pool of low skill labor who needs jobs. It's great for them, and it would behoove Amazon to run shuttle bus services around the city to get their employees to work on time. (Electric Boat runs shuttles around the greater Groton area and those are skilled jobs) But the gain of the Amazon jobs, does not offset the brain drain of GE leaving, and now Aetna.

And of the people who I know who have fled the state, two are former state employees. One to Florida, and one to North Carolina. One, due to the nature of his state job, after working around 25 years for the state got a full retirement with pension, at 45 years old. If he lives to 80, his earnings over 35 years retired, will dwarf what he earned while he was working for his paycheck.

Old 06-11-2017, 06:04 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,491 times
I have been saying the same thing for the last 5 years:
  • Democrats have been focusing all the spending on the poor and unions
  • If they raise taxes it doesn't go to fixing our debt it goes to the unions who have "extra money" to bargain with
  • The tax system is set up so the rich pay a disproportionate amount which goes to the poor and unions
  • Now the rich and companies are leaving in droves
  • The Democrats & liberals who ruined the state are eating crow
  • The solution is to elect a Republican who espouses the views of the Tea Party, massive tax cuts massive spending cuts

This is proof that if you tax productive citizens they will leave & you will be left with non productive garbage.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:10 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG2 View Post
Won't name it, but a restaurant on Main Street in Middletown. If you are familiar with downtown Middletown, there has to be at least 30 restaurants on Main or just a few feet down the side streets. We actually got a parking spot pretty much in front of the restaurant. Perhaps with the density of restaurants on Main Street, after work hours (street is busy during the day, lots of small offices and "some" shopping), there is just too much competition.

Up at Westfarms Mall, they had a Ruby Tuesday, where you ALWAYS had to wait for a booth....Closed two months ago. Red Robin across the street, always packed on Friday. Applebees in Plainville, always packed. I don't know the attraction to chain restaurants, but dinnertime on Friday at least, they pack them in for high priced mediocre food. Won't even go into Chili's anymore, the menu is so awful.

CT is STILL in recession and has not recovered.

Malloy is boasting about Amazon coming to New Haven with a new "fulfillment center". Know what "fulfillment center" means? It's a big warehouse, and most of the jobs are going to be low paying jobs with people pulling orders and filling boxes. Don't get me wrong, New Haven has a big pool of low skill labor who needs jobs. It's great for them, and it would behoove Amazon to run shuttle bus services around the city to get their employees to work on time. (Electric Boat runs shuttles around the greater Groton area and those are skilled jobs) But the gain of the Amazon jobs, does not offset the brain drain of GE leaving, and now Aetna.

And of the people who I know who have fled the state, two are former state employees. One to Florida, and one to North Carolina. One, due to the nature of his state job, after working around 25 years for the state got a full retirement with pension, at 45 years old. If he lives to 80, his earnings over 35 years retired, will dwarf what he earned while he was working for his paycheck.
Middletown is a college town and Wesleyan's classes end a month ago so of course it is quite now. I am not certain what you experienced at Westfarms buying can tell you Buckland Hill restaurants are still crowded on the weekends. Was up there recently and the restaurants were hoping so I am not seeing what you are. Jay

Old 06-11-2017, 10:19 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,903,161 times
Once again the naysayers are out in force. "Amazon jobs are not good enough". "Giving $30 million to a hedge fund to keep and expand high paying jobs here is not right". Ignoring the fact that three of our largest employers are expanding and making major commitments here. It just never ends. Are they ever satisfied? Jay

Old 06-11-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Once again the naysayers are out in force. "Amazon jobs are not good enough". "Giving $30 million to a hedge fund to keep and expand high paying jobs here is not right". Ignoring the fact that three of our largest employers are expanding and making major commitments here. It just never ends. Are they ever satisfied? Jay
There is nothing to be satisfied with. We are under performing under Malloy. Over taxing has not helped job growth.

I am glad Amazon is coming, but we also need high quality job growth. Amazon , in essence, replaces lost retail jobs. Both those already happening and what will come soon, as several retail chains are on the verge of bankruptcy. Penneys Milford closes this month, and I'd be shocked if Sears/KMart overall exists past 2017. That will leave the Post Mall with one, ailing anchor, and one discount store in the corner. That will kill the Devon area mall KMart is in. This is the Amazon affect. That's their right, but unlike a new manufacturer, Amazon cannibalizes the economy-it never adds to it. In addition, some of its labor practices at DCs are horrific.

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/amaz...917-story.html

Old 06-11-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
There is nothing to be satisfied with. We are under performing under Malloy. Over taxing has not helped job growth.

I am glad Amazon is coming, but we also need high quality job growth. Amazon , in essence, replaces lost retail jobs. Both those already happening and what will come soon, as several retail chains are on the verge of bankruptcy. Penneys Milford closes this month, and I'd be shocked if Sears/KMart overall exists past 2017. That will leave the Post Mall with one, ailing anchor, and one discount store in the corner. That will kill the Devon area mall KMart is in. This is the Amazon affect. That's their right, but unlike a new manufacturer, Amazon cannibalizes the economy-it never adds to it. In addition, some of its labor practices at DCs are horrific.

Inside Amazon's Warehouse - The Morning Call
Right on. If you look at it like Amazon et al are the very reason those retail mortar stores are closing, it is a replacement. Unfortunately, an extremely disproportionate one and that gets to the very core of amazon success: massive scale and distribution from ONLINE sales Nearly ELIMINATES cost of sales people, clerks cashiers, real estate leasing etc. for those exact reasons, it necessarily means way more lost than gained without a strong and modern economy that has adapted to new labor requirements. Though this is probably the only sector of CT with any growth at all, or at least slower death. Plenty of "frozen yogurt" places opening etc.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Our message has been the same this whole time. Your message changes at the whim of CTs newest chance to disappoint...which is often. Used to talk about great hospitals...none are ranked and funding now cut by the hundreds of millions, even with rising taxes. Schools, more cuts, rising taxes. Corporate HQs are regular branding point, yet with every one that leaves there seems to be a smash burger or call center to divert the convo to....

Of course Amazon is great Jay, ESPECIALLY for deadbeat area like new haven...but reality is a forklift operator is not buying my house for what I paid for it. They are not buying your house. For every 100k job that leaves and gets replaced by a 35k job, my selling power goes down. When our selling power goes down, our real estate goes down. When our real estate goes down, our mill rates go up. When our mill rates go up, I get butt %^<*ed by the government more than I already do. When I get butt ^#+£¥Ed more than I already do, I leave. When I leave, I go make some other company better. When I make another company better they hire more people. When they hire more people, they're more productive. When they're more productive, they invest more into expansion and hire more people, make more capitol purchases and drive up local desireability. That makes area more attractive, so similar companies come. That makes area more attractive still, so different companies explore. See the circle of economic life?

A mixed economy that can employ and serve all stratifications of the labor force. Amazon is not coming to CT because CT is so great, Amazon is coming to CT because it's more cost effective solution than all the returns and price guarantees of not meeting a 2 day delivery model. That's all. Nothing for CT to be proud of. It's just being used like a street walker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut