Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2016, 03:43 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,016,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
This was discussed here months ago and is based on a flawed study. The Mercatus study did not take into account that Connecticut has no county level of government. As I posted several months ago that when I contacted her the study author admitted that was not considered and would make a difference. Jay
So you are saying that we are only the 3rd worst now?

Do dispute the fact that we will go bankrupt within 10 years?

Old 10-12-2016, 05:09 PM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
So you are saying that we are only the 3rd worst now?

Do dispute the fact that we will go bankrupt within 10 years?
I do not know where the difference would place us. That would be up to the authors to determine.

I have been hearing that the state is going bankrupt for decades now. Hasn't happened yet. I think we have a lot of "Chicken Littles" who are quick to cry "The sky s falling, the sky is falling". Jay

Old 10-13-2016, 11:28 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Really? The tax haters are all for free-riding, it seems. The cost to dispose illegally dumped mattresses is well over $9 a piece. Mattresses get moldy, lousy, and bacteria filled QUICK when out in the open. And guess what... once other states figure they can save money by asking for a small fee up front there will be more coming on board. Shouldn't you be applauding this as a cost saving move, shifting the cost to consumers and reduces cost on municipalities that have to deal with the issue at a exponentially inflated cost.
I'm not fully following for a few reasons and think that you might be misunderstanding something...

I'm not getting rid of old mattress (although now, when I do, I will be dumping it on the side of a road out of childish spite).

The fact that I can make the above claim to [allegedly] dump a mattress on the side of the road means the "tax" actually hasn't solved a thing.

Furthermore, unless you're implying that CT has a higher rate of mattress disposal misuse then this problem exists for all municipalities, in all states, that manage the problem just fine while taking THOUSANDS less from individual tax payers. To make a point about it not being money I'm going to pledge that when I [allegedly] dump this mattress on the side of the road in the distant future, I will donate 10x the amount ($300) to CT Children's medical center for clinical research.

Old 10-13-2016, 12:37 PM

2,361 posts, read 2,183,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
I'm not getting rid of old mattress (although now, when I do, I will be dumping it on the side of a road out of childish spite).
The fee is like aluminum can deposits, it's an upfront cost for the end of usable life disposal for the mattress you are buying. The thing is any mattress bought before the fee or brought in from another state is returnable (unless there's a health or safety hazard) under the program.

Quote:
The fact that I can make the above claim to [allegedly] dump a mattress on the side of the road means the "tax" actually hasn't solved a thing.
It gives a low cost alternative through byebyemattress. Thus reducing the need for illegally dumping mattresses.

Quote:
Furthermore, unless you're implying that CT has a higher rate of mattress disposal misuse then this problem exists for all municipalities, in all states, that manage the problem just fine while taking THOUSANDS less from individual tax payers. To make a point about it not being money I'm going to pledge that when I [allegedly] dump this mattress on the side of the road in the distant future, I will donate 10x the amount ($300) to CT Children's medical center for clinical research.
This is ludicrous. First off, mattresses that aren't recycled end up in landfills... do you think maintaining landfills is free? Second, mattresses are ill suited for being in landfills (and most operators DO NOT WANT THEM) and most mattresses are up to 90% recyclable. So again you're all for throwing good money after bad, for what? Third, if you think there's a one for one relationship on this sort of thing you clearly have no idea how governmental financing works. If a municipality isn't dealing with the $300-$400 expense of dealing with each mattress (after labor, cleaning, disposal) all it means is that the money can be shifted to more pressing operational matters. Fourth, there's nothing forcing you NOT to donate $291 to a charity. That point meant literally nothing.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:34 PM

34,021 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Verizon Closing Two Connecticut Call Centers, 550 Employees Offered Relocation - Hartford Courant

Old 10-13-2016, 10:39 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,267,421 times
I just saw that, Bob. When does it end?

Old 10-14-2016, 04:14 AM

34,021 posts, read 17,045,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
I just saw that, Bob. When does it end?

not sure

Old 10-14-2016, 07:41 AM

14,051 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Nonpartisan analysts: CT budget is $78M in deficit | The CT Mirror

Old 10-14-2016, 09:25 AM

14,051 posts, read 13,923,200 times
Will money come from state budget or taxpayers ?

Tribe sues Connecticut for hundreds of millions of dollars | WTNH Connecticut News

Old 10-14-2016, 09:32 AM

114 posts, read 77,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Will money state come from state budget or taxpayers ?

Tribe sues Connecticut for hundreds of millions of dollars | WTNH Connecticut News
Taxpayers of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut