Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2017, 03:54 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
There has been many studies that show CT is one of the best location for entry level jobs., income is way higher here than in any part of the country (minus a couple). Plenty in the 660 pages.

There are constant jobs in CT looking to be filled and all well paying. My favorite area is Hartford county and it will be awesome in a couple years with the more and more people discovering this area.
Huh???? What world are you living in?? Please show me some studies.. because EVERY study has shown CT to be at the bottom for job creation and sustainability...

Old 03-16-2017, 03:58 PM

21,615 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
No, just look at some of the development such as the busway, the new rail line and the baseball stadium all those just in Hartford alone. Front street, UCONN!! These are major developments that need to be in place before the major shift can start. I see the next 5 to 7 years as a huge year for Hartford. The suburbs will become as, if not more, desirable than FFC. We'll see a huge resurgence of businesses coming back and at least 2 new 30+ story buildings will be built in Hartford to accommodate the growth.
Lol, what?

Old 03-16-2017, 03:58 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,487,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Huh???? What world are you living in?? Please show me some studies.. because EVERY study has shown CT to be at the bottom for job creation and sustainability...
Here's one.
Boston, Hartford among top 25 best cities for jobs, according to Glassdoor | masslive.com

Old 03-16-2017, 04:02 PM

Uh, 25th in the nation isn't exactly brag-worthy...

Old 03-16-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Uh, 25th in the nation isn't exactly brag-worthy...
25 is awesome especially for a relatively small area. Total would brag about that.

Home prices are rising which means people are buying homes and inventory will be short. Wait until "outsiders" start to buy homes; prices will soar. We also have some of the best public education in the country, people will see that and it will increase businesses wanted to come here. Our education system is a main selling feature. Why would a company set up in south where they have very little good public education. Makes employees up here more valuable.

Old 03-16-2017, 04:12 PM

Hartford is 8th worst city for a job (2016):

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/care...all/ar-AAiR5RS

Hartford ranks as the second worst state capital to live in

Hartford Ranks Among Worst State Capitals to Live In: Study | NBC Connecticut

Hartford worst for small business climate (2015)

Hartford ranked worst in U.S. for small business climate, New Haven 4th-worst | WTNH Connecticut News

Hartford worst metro area for homeowners (2016)

Bankrate: Hartford worst metro area for homeowners | HartfordBusiness.com

Zillow ranks Hartford metro as a "cold" market, or a "buyers" market:

https://www.zillow.com/hartford-metr...9/home-values/

You were saying???

Old 03-16-2017, 05:02 PM

4,316 posts, read 4,203,050 times
Quote:
There has been many studies that show CT is...
The issue is not what CT "is" but rather what it is becoming. That was your claim -- CT is changing for the better, companies are coming back, and economy is improving...

Whatever CT is now -- that is due to previous investments...

Old 03-16-2017, 05:14 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
I appreciate your enthusiasm, but where do you based it on, other than personal drive-by observations? This thread is over 600 pages long and I don't remember any studies, reports, numbers supporting your opinion?
Here is a number that is kind of encouraging:
The downtown Class A office space vacancy rate is 16.8%. It was 26% in 2012. You want it closer to the national average 12% but 16.8% is healthy. 26% is a disaster.

Citations:

This is from last month:
Downtown Hartford To Get Boost From United Bank Headquarters Move - Hartford Courant
Quote:
Jonathan K. Putnam, executive director at commercial real estate services firm Cushman & Wakefield in Hartford who represented Goodwin Square, said the lease will bring down the overall Class A office vacancy rate in Hartford's central business district to 16.8 percent from its current 18 percent.
This is from 2012:
Greater Hfd. ended '12 with fewer vacancies | HartfordBusiness.com
Quote:
Downtown Hartford's Class A office vacancy rate was just under 26 percent at the end of 2012, remaining relatively stable from a year earlier
Until there are some signs of gentrification in the residential housing stock to increase the tax base enough to make city finances viable, I don't have a heck of a lot of enthusiasm. 5,000 child-free office workers living in upscale downtown housing doesn't solve the problem. You need to reclaim the city one block at a time the way it happened in Boston. I remember when the South End was a slum and how it went residential condo in the 1980's. I see 2,500 square foot houses 20 minutes walk from the XL Center selling for $75K. Less than 25% of the housing stock is owner-occupied. Until gentrification starts happening, Hartford will remain an edge city where all the office workers flee to the suburbs at 5pm.

Old 03-16-2017, 05:56 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post

Also remember that many of a person's questions have already been asked and answered in threads here. How many "Got a job in Stamford, where should I live?" threads do you think we really need.
Its a good point, true

Old 03-16-2017, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
The issue is not what CT "is" but rather what it is becoming. That was your claim -- CT is changing for the better, companies are coming back, and economy is improving...

Whatever CT is now -- that is due to previous investments...
So the investments we are making now will pay off 10fold in the next couple years?
I agree. Even now CT is doing very well, can't wait to see how all the good we are doing now will pay off. Hartford will defiantly be a world class city in a couple years.

FFC is already world class so when Hartford becomes that CT will be a major player and rival such cities as Austin and Charlotte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut