Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2016, 10:07 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,424,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling".

The projected deficit is lass than 1/2 of 1 percent of the budget. That is insignificant. The economy would have to tank big time for that to happen and all indications are that the economy in our state is improving, not getting worse. Still we should be seriously concerned with some of the more problematic parts of the budget like pension obligations but that is a whole other story. Jay
I would note ... as the article does ... that the current deficit is after a one time payment of $80 million from a fine levied on the Royal Bank of Scotland..... who has largely discontinued operation in the state.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:05 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hartford_renter View Post
Can I have a moment EastOfTheRiver?

Can I let you in on a little secret?

If you are a police officer or teacher in the state of CT you are not going to get your pension. Yes you heard that correctly, you will not get paid.

You can make up all the excuses you want but here is the truth, the money is NOT THERE. THERE IS NO MONEY LEFT TO PAY YOUR PENSION!!!

know what that means, you get kicked to the curb.

Call it bankruptcy call it whatever your want the state is broke. And your butt is up a creek without a paddle.

YOU WERE WARNED!!!

CT is bankrupt in 5 years.

Take is from an Actuary!
"The sky is falling, the sky is falling!" It never ends. Jay

Old 10-15-2016, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Can you show me examples of Connecticuts improving economy?

Henkels moving operations here is a good example. But I don't think adding 300 jobs while losing 550 is so great. Can you cite any other examples?
First employment numbers are up. Pratt and Whitney and Electric Boat are hiring, A LOT. Even more important
their suppliers and subcontractors are hiring as well. Amazon and Federal Express are building or have built massive new facilities here. There are a lot more examples if you go back through this forum over the past year or more. While I agree losing those 550 call center jobs is not good, but oust are lower paying and part time jobs. Still not good but not the end of the world overall. Jay

Old 10-16-2016, 07:22 PM

34,037 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
First employment numbers are up. Pratt and Whitney and Electric Boat are hiring, A LOT. Even more important
their suppliers and subcontractors are hiring as well. Amazon and Federal Express are building or have built massive new facilities here. There are a lot more examples if you go back through this forum over the past year or more. While I agree losing those 550 call center jobs is not good, but oust are lower paying and part time jobs. Still not good but not the end of the world overall. Jay

The Amazon jobs are also low paying JayCt. Replacement jobs overall are paying less on average than jobs lost, plus with new Sikorsky deal, every day, via retirements, the aggregate gross payroll there goes down.

The news overall, in most Northeast states, stinks. Massachusetts is the lone exception.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:01 AM

2,000 posts, read 1,864,864 times
Quote:
Fed ex jobs are low paying. I work in wallingford for a number of years. Some drivers and some managers get paid decent but package handlers make about $11 to $13 a hour and part time leaders make around $16. Now i haven't work there in 4 years but that pay isnt going to shoot up in that time

Old 10-17-2016, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
Fed ex jobs are low paying. I work in wallingford for a number of years. Some drivers and some managers get paid decent but package handlers make about $11 to $13 a hour and part time leaders make around $16. Now i haven't work there in 4 years but that pay isnt going to shoot up in that time
Yes, the FedEx jobs are lower paying BUT we are talking about the jobs being lost at the Verizon call center. I could have easily brought up the jobs being added at Pratt & Whitney or Electric Boat which are higher paying but they are equivalent for workers at a call center. Jay

Old 10-17-2016, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
The Amazon jobs are also low paying JayCt. Replacement jobs overall are paying less on average than jobs lost, plus with new Sikorsky deal, every day, via retirements, the aggregate gross payroll there goes down.

The news overall, in most Northeast states, stinks. Massachusetts is the lone exception.
As I said before, though new employees will have the potential to be earning less at Sikorsky, I think that the free marketplace for those employees will force higher salaries. With both Electric Boat and Pratt & Whitney competing for the same employees, Sikorsky is going to have to offer comparable wages and benefits to attract talent. Jay

Old 10-17-2016, 11:30 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,085,692 times
Quote:
As I said before, though new employees will have the potential to be earning less at Sikorsky, I think that the free marketplace for those employees will force higher salaries. With both Electric Boat and Pratt & Whitney competing for the same employees, Sikorsky is going to have to offer comparable wages and benefits to attract talent.
Those forces (in some cases, at least) are offset by H1B hires.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:22 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,811,466 times
Does anyone really want to work at a call center these days? The outsourcing alone has been significant for the past 15 years...

Old 10-17-2016, 03:42 PM

114 posts, read 77,285 times
Quote:
I don't know how many if any stay employed long term at the Amazon warehouse. All I ever see for job postings from them are for part time seasonal help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut