Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2014, 01:44 PM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Funny seeing some people claim Climo is the way to see things yet they ignore the "history" of patterns.

Since 1990 only 1 year that had below normal December ended up with a above normal season. (Dec 1993 1.9" Season 55"). 1 year in last 23 at BDR!

Snowless December, a pattern that doesn't allow it to snow = below normal winter, a pattern that remains through winter. 96% chance it will be a below normal winter. You want to go with the 4%, go for it.

Enjoy the warm rains for now.
If I recall about 3 years ago when the 6 weeks of snow hell occurred, the winter was about snowless until Christmas. Look if you are going to argue there is a better chance of above normal snows when December is snowy I agree...but to say January - March will be below normal snow just because December didn't have snow well...lets agree to disagree. If this year is in fact less snowy than normal, I tip my cap.
'

Old 12-20-2014, 01:54 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Funny seeing some people claim Climo is the way to see things yet they ignore the "history" of patterns.

Since 1990 only 1 year that had below normal December ended up with a above normal season. (Dec 1993 1.9" Season 55"). 1 year in last 23 at BDR!

Snowless December, a pattern that doesn't allow it to snow = below normal winter, a pattern that remains through winter. 96% chance it will be a below normal winter. You want to go with the 4%, go for it.

Enjoy the warm rains for now.
Bah warm rain for Christmas Eve, if you would have brought a snow report I would have rated you up!

But noooooo, that asking too much.

Babylon, Long Island

Wednesday
Day - High 56 degrees with 90% of rain
Night -Low 43 degrees with 90% of rain

I understand we are supposed to get high winds? So we still get a terrible day for traveling but without any snow for Christmas Eve.

Old 12-20-2014, 02:30 PM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
If I recall about 3 years ago when the 6 weeks of snow hell occurred, the winter was about snowless until Christmas.
That was 2010 and your anomaly example. But I believe we had coastal storms in October & November so the pattern was reloaded by Mid December with the cold air around then ended end of January.

But Why are you ignoring the last week of December that year? Are we getting snow next week?

In other words... don't ignore and use "before Christmas" you have to look at the entire month and if you do you will realize you're own example says a snowy December = above normal season that year.

I put Dec 1-24 in my above post but that was all of December instead. 1 yr out of last 23. Explain that.

Quote:
If this year is in fact less snowy than normal, I tip my cap.
You can't use the Guarantee card. You know that. If someone is so big on Climo saying "we don't get snow in November/December anyway" then use the stat history fact that below normal December snow only once meant above normal season in 2 decades+.

In other words.. you use Climatology to show our chances of getting snow before mid December, then use the snowless Decembers/below normal season as well.

10 days left.

Old 12-20-2014, 03:19 PM

6,569 posts, read 4,962,654 times
Quote:
If I recall about 3 years ago when the 6 weeks of snow hell occurred, the winter was about snowless until Christmas. Look if you are going to argue there is a better chance of above normal snows when December is snowy I agree...but to say January - March will be below normal snow just because December didn't have snow well...lets agree to disagree. If this year is in fact less snowy than normal, I tip my cap.
'
It was the day after Christmas 2010 that it snowed. I went out for a ride and it started just as we headed out. Came down pretty good too. Then hell froze over till mid-February lol

Old 12-20-2014, 03:45 PM

830 posts, read 684,180 times
I say lets enjoy the holidays, maybe open the window the 24th to let some moisture in, and consider ourselves lucky that we get a break from shoveling snow.

Old 12-20-2014, 05:33 PM

I have a new name for the 5 Lakes and a remembered hate for oceans.

NWS Buffalo. You would think Buffalo means snow this time of year... nope.... not even because of the Death Lakes Storm track. Bolded says it best. Read on.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BUFFALO NY
637 PM EST SAT DEC 20 2014

THE FORECAST FOR CHRISTMAS EVE AND CHRISTMAS DAY CONTINUES TO BE
FOCUSED ON A STORM EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OVER THE NORTHERN GULF STATES
AND SHIFT NORTH ACROSS THE GREAT LAKES.

ON CHRISTMAS EVE WARM MOIST AIR WILL BE TRANSPORTED NORTH AHEAD
OF THIS STORM BRINGING RAIN AND VERY MILD TEMPERATURES TO WESTERN
AND NORTH-CENTRAL NEW YORK.

A COLD/OCCLUDED FRONT WILL SHIFT ACROSS WESTERN AND NORTH-CENTRAL
NEW YORK WEDNESDAY NIGHT AS THE SURFACE LOW TRACKS ACROSS THE
CENTRAL GREAT LAKES. EXACT TIMING OF THE FRONTAL PASSAGE STILL NEEDS
TO BE FINE TUNED AS THE ECMWF IS ABOUT 6 HOURS FASTER THAN THE GFS.
THIS FRONT WILL BE THE LEADING EDGE TO COOLER TEMPS. IT IS IMPORTANT
TO MENTION THAT WITHOUT A STEEP RIDGE OVER THE WESTERN STATES THE
SOURCE REGION OF THIS COLD AIR WILL BE PACIFIC BASED AND NOT ARCTIC
BASED SO THIS LACK OF AN ARCTIC AIRMASS WILL BRING A REDUCED THREAT
OF ANY SIGNIFICANT SNOW THROUGH CHRISTMAS DAY.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:37 PM

678 posts, read 846,558 times
Haven't kept up with the thread. Would appreciate feedback on what I'm saying:

So...I don't think we'll get major snow for the remainder of December. Is this Winter looking relatively warm/snowless? How does the rest of New England fair?

Old 12-21-2014, 05:37 AM

11,294 posts, read 18,872,835 times
Special weather statement national weather service taunton ma 409 am est sun dec 21 2014 ctz002>004-maz009-011>013-017-riz001>004-006-211500- hartford ct-tolland ct-windham ct-western hampden ma- eastern hampden ma-southern worcester ma-western norfolk ma- northern bristol ma-northwest providence ri- southeast providence ri-western kent ri-eastern kent ri- washington ri- including the cities of...hartford...windsor locks...union... Vernon...putnam...willimantic...blandford...spring field... Milford...worcester...foxboro...norwood...taunton. ..foster... Smithfield...providence...west greenwich...warwick... Narragansett...westerly 409 am est sun dec 21 2014 ...1 to 2 inches of snow this morning may result in some slippery travel... Snow showers will affect northern connecticut...rhode island and portion of interior southeast massachusetts this morning. Total snow accumulations of 1 to 2 inches will be common and some roads may be slippery. The bulk of the snow will affect the region this morning...but a few lingering snow showers will remain possible this afternoon. Motorists should drive with extra caution this morning and be prepared for some slippery travel.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:10 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,509,575 times
Today is the winter solstice. Shortest day of the year. From here on out we gain a little more sunlight every day.

My thoughts for this winter is it's above normal and very little snow.

Almost 60 on Christmas eve...

Old 12-21-2014, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureTown View Post
Haven't kept up with the thread. Would appreciate feedback on what I'm saying:

So... I don't think we'll get major snow for the remainder of December.
Some snow fell and stuck in areas of CT last night but less than inch I believe. As far as snow our only hope is the last 3 days of December..

Quote:
Is this Winter looking relatively warm/snowless?
History says if we get below normal snowfall in December, the season ends up snowless or below normal. This is for Bridgeport area of course, I haven't checked BDL, but means basically 2 feet or less. Could be 2 big snowstorms. Could be a bunch of little ones, could be more rain than snow, could be no more snow at all.. Either way that's what history says and it's a pretty big percentage of it.

As far as temps... now that is a variable but Winter is 1/3 done so don't expect an extreme cold winter anymore. If we keep getting storms to cut through the Great Lake, kiss a cold winter goodbye. We need a NorthWest flow, not SouthWest!

Quote:
How does the rest of New England fair?
Northern New England could do very well. Just one of those years the pattern has favored north of us. Maine & Michigan is ripping it with snow totals.

Lets face it... the arctic air was around in November, not December. It's stuck on the Asia side, not even Canada is much below normal. Need to see it drop down a.s.a.p. It takes a weeks for a pattern to set in! We already got 3 weeks without it. It's time for a change!

And we need the Jet stream axis to shift East big time. See where the dip is this week? That needs to be where I put the dots. Much more east.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut