Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 11:22 AM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

CT Roads.... it just never ends. Was on Merrit South 11am. Not only dark red (stopped vehicles) but I never saw a gray color too. So I had to divert .

Frustrating I can't simply make a round trip without any issues in the state.

AND////..................

" Merritt northbound now CLOSED between Exits 29 and 31 because of a two motor vehicle accident, reported at 9:18 am "

http://blog.ctnews.com/realtime/2015...in-greenwichl/

Lets keep throwing buildings up and inviting more vehicles & people into the area. Frustrating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 06:35 PM

2,941 posts, read 1,785,956 times
You don't have to answer, but what do you do as a job that takes you out on the roads so much and in so many different places?! just a type of job if you want..

Old 04-29-2015, 12:37 AM

9,763 posts, read 7,475,048 times
Sorry to bump this, but having just gotten back from FL I have to bump this nugget about the monstrosity known as the Merritt Parkway.

Saturday Morning: Left Trumbull at 9:35, got to Westchester County airport at 10:50. Wait, it gets better though! Of that 75 minutes, 40 of those minutes was just spent getting to the Fairfield/Westport border meaning it took LONGER to drive from Trumbull to Westport (about 8 miles) then it did to drive from Westport to the airport (probably about 35 miles). As for why I had to those 35 miles really fast: my flight was at 11:30, so those stupid DOT people were really making the cut time close. Reason for the delay: doing some stupid tree/grass work and since the stupid highway has no shoulder they have to park their trucks in the left lane and close the lane.

Tuesday evening returned: Left the airport at 6:15, returned to Trumbull at 7:40. Only took me 5 minutes longer to get back on a Tuesday during rush hour then it did to get down there on a Saturday morning AND tonight I got off the highway in New Canaan at exit 36 because there was traffic. So, with a couple red lights that could've been green I could've tied/exceeded my time on a Saturday morning taking the back roads .

Can we official blow up this monstrosity between the Sikorsky bridge & the 7 interchange in Norwalk, redue the 7 interchange to make it highway acceptable and then redue that entire stretch and make it a highway up to today's standards and not still to the 1930's standard's like it's currently constructed??

In 2015 how a highway with this much traffic on a daily basis STILL has no shoulder, no breakdown lane and still has stop signs I will never know.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:08 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Sorry to bump this, but having just gotten back from FL I have to bump this nugget about the monstrosity known as the Merritt Parkway.

Saturday Morning: Left Trumbull at 9:35, got to Westchester County airport at 10:50. Wait, it gets better though! Of that 75 minutes, 40 of those minutes was just spent getting to the Fairfield/Westport border meaning it took LONGER to drive from Trumbull to Westport (about 8 miles) then it did to drive from Westport to the airport (probably about 35 miles). As for why I had to those 35 miles really fast: my flight was at 11:30, so those stupid DOT people were really making the cut time close. Reason for the delay: doing some stupid tree/grass work and since the stupid highway has no shoulder they have to park their trucks in the left lane and close the lane.

Tuesday evening returned: Left the airport at 6:15, returned to Trumbull at 7:40. Only took me 5 minutes longer to get back on a Tuesday during rush hour then it did to get down there on a Saturday morning AND tonight I got off the highway in New Canaan at exit 36 because there was traffic. So, with a couple red lights that could've been green I could've tied/exceeded my time on a Saturday morning taking the back roads .

Can we official blow up this monstrosity between the Sikorsky bridge & the 7 interchange in Norwalk, redue the 7 interchange to make it highway acceptable and then redue that entire stretch and make it a highway up to today's standards and not still to the 1930's standard's like it's currently constructed??

In 2015 how a highway with this much traffic on a daily basis STILL has no shoulder, no breakdown lane and still has stop signs I will never know.
Thanks for the update, glad I don't live in Trumbull

Old 06-05-2015, 01:04 PM

Was in East Norwalk this afternoon... What a disaster this area was. WTF. That accident its showing here was not there. (must of been previously but volume of vehicles was insane)

There were cars coming in from every which way, middle of intersection getting blocked, honking horns everywhere, people making lefts and blocking those behind them, disaster area. So congested. No beach party, no concert, just normal volume?!

And they want to keep introducing more volume into the city/area??

This is just one moment in time. I was stuck in that area for 15 minutes. I could of gotten a ton of pictures and many were worse then this.

Old 06-05-2015, 02:02 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Are you new to the area? rookie mistake, always go around that intersection, like over to Strawberry Hill

Old 06-08-2015, 02:28 PM

Don't get me started on this morning taking 45 minutes from Stamford to Greenwich on I95. Truck stuck at bottom of exit 3 backed up the whole right lane so the interstate was narrowed to 2 lanes. It usually is on normal mornings so it was much worse this morning.

Now I passed 2 accidents on Merritt North in Stamford 10 min ago. Ugh. Un dunkin real

Old 06-08-2015, 02:33 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,207,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Don't get me started on this morning taking 45 minutes from Stamford to Greenwich on I95. Truck stuck at bottom of exit 3 backed up the whole right lane so the interstate was narrowed to 2 lanes. It usually is on normal mornings so it was much worse this morning.

Now I passed 2 accidents on Merritt North in Stamford 10 min ago. Ugh. Un dunkin real

I have not taken the Merritt NB to go home in over a month. I gave up....... .

Old 06-08-2015, 10:17 PM

830 posts, read 684,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
I couldn't agree more with you. Here's one in Stamford that is near impossible to pull out from.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:53 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Heh try the North Haven SB entry ramp. You have a rest stop *right* before it, so there are people trying to get back on the highway from TWO entry ramps within the same 2-city-block distance. Both ramps have stop signs and no entry lane. It's actually not intolerable most of the time but during rush hour or on holiday weekends it can be a parking lot.

But yeah they shouldn't be thinking about widening the road. Rather, they should be thinking about getting people OFF that road. It's a scenic highway, never intended to be a superhighway. I suppose they -could- just say "to heck with its historic value, screw those registry-authenticated historic bridges - just modernize and widen the old girl and give people their access."

But then you'll lose some of the beauty that makes people want to be in Connecticut in the first place, because you'll have to remove all the trees - and cut through more neighborhoods to divert the traffic and re-route the road and straighten the bending twisting areas further south on 15...

Maybe if they added more breakdown areas - not full breakdown lanes, in some cases it just isn't possible without a total change of infrastructure (building bridges and trusses on cliff-sides, etc). But more breakdown lanes in places where it -is- possible, would mean more places for cars to roll over to, when their car has problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut