Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 06:37 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,088,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
I don't even consider living in an outer borough to truly being in the nyc. Manhattan is nyc. Bronx, Brooklyn are really high density suburbs compared to Manhattan.
Wrong.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 06:41 PM

207 posts, read 273,069 times
Its so funny how a discussion about ct and tx becomes "I'm more trendy and cool because I know about NYC" lol only in CT.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I think people inflate this way too much. I have spent a lot of time in the South and even stayed in Charlotte for a month. I have never been asked this question, not even once. Besides, even if it was asked, who cares? Just tell them what church you attend, or tell them you are not a churchgoer. If they disown you because of that, then don't bother being their friend. That's all.

Heck, even here in CT I have experienced plenty of right-wing rhetoric and conservatism. For example, at work last week, I was speaking with someone regarding a new regulation that requires more transparency with regards to foreign accounts held over seas. There are new forms that need to be filled out, etc. And the guys that I was explaining it too were irritated and said, "Sigh....that's what people get for voting Democrat...goddammit....makes our jobs harder." I've also seen similar stuff happen throughout my career in CT. So, conservatism exists everywhere. You just gotta deal with it.
funny how an overwhelming majority of democratically controlled cities in the US are in complete shambles. I guess you just gotta deal with it.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:06 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Wrong.....
Talk to anyone who used to or does live in manhattan. The outer boroughs aren't considered the "city". Talk to someone from manhattan and queens mights as well be on mars. LOL

Old 05-10-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Talk to anyone who used to or does live in manhattan. The outer boroughs aren't considered the "city". Talk to someone from manhattan and queens mights as well be on mars. LOL
That's like someone from FFC saying the rest of CT isn't "CT".....

Old 05-10-2014, 07:18 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
That's like someone from FFC saying the rest of CT isn't "CT".....
No it's very different statement. Fairfield is very similiar to avon for example. Really no comparison between manhattan and queens or the bronx. Very different.

There's a reason people pay WAY more to live in manhattan than queens and it isn't the school system.

oh and I'm not a fan of nyc/manhattan at all. I would never want to live there. Just telling it like it is.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:21 PM

15,637 posts, read 10,390,278 times
I lived in Fairfield Co for 10 years and moved to Texas. Connecticut is one of the most beautiful states in the country, and I would liked to have stayed, but the state is taxing people to death, running businesses out of the state with regulations, raising transportation costs into the stratosphere, and growing an insurmountable state budget deficit with very incompetent Democratic leadership. Ct is close to NYC. This proximity, the beauty of the state, and a couple of esteemed universities are its claim to fame. How many residents actually go into Manhattan or attend those colleges? I'd bet most residents never have done either.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:31 PM

Quote:
No it's very different statement. Fairfield is very similiar to avon for example. Really no comparison between manhattan and queens or the bronx. Very different.

There's a reason people pay WAY more to live in manhattan than queens and it isn't the school system.

oh and I'm not a fan of nyc/manhattan at all. I would never want to live there. Just telling it like it is.
You're not telling it like it is.....you actually are telling it like it isn't. You're saying Manhattan is the only part of NYC and the boroughs are not. Are you for real? You cant possibly believe that.... or are you that misinformed??..

Old 05-10-2014, 07:36 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the fish View Post
funny how an overwhelming majority of democratically controlled cities in the US are in complete shambles. I guess you just gotta deal with it.
Except that many of the Republican controlled states are in shambles, too, and have terrible schools, health care and high obesity rates. And don't give me "oh well look at Texas, it's doing great" baloney. Texas is a giant Ponzi scheme that will collapse in 10-20 years from now. The harsh cuts to education will not bode well.

Here are all the reasons why Texas economics will be disastrous:

(a) much of the economic growth is due to oil and gas, which exists naturally in Texas,
(b) the state has the highest percentage of minimum wage jobs in the nation,
(c) many jobs were created by the government,
(d) the state receives 30% more in federal taxpayer ...funds for federal projects (i.e. infrastructure, social programs) than its own federal taxpayers pay to the federal government
(e) drastic cuts to education were made, which will not bode well for the state's long term economy
(f) less regulation has led to Texas having the highest employee death rate in the nation
(g) the state imposes a franchise tax, severance tax and a high sales tax

I have yet to see a shining example of a red state that makes blue states jealous of how it's run.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Except that many of the Republican controlled states are in shambles, too, and have terrible schools, health care and high obesity rates. And don't give me "oh well look at Texas, it's doing great" baloney. Texas is a giant Ponzi scheme that will collapse in 10-20 years from now. The harsh cuts to education will not bode well.

Here are all the reasons why Texas economics will be disastrous:

(a) much of the economic growth is due to oil and gas, which exists naturally in Texas,
(b) the state has the highest percentage of minimum wage jobs in the nation,
(c) many jobs were created by the government,
(d) the state receives 30% more in federal taxpayer ...funds for federal projects (i.e. infrastructure, social programs) than its own federal taxpayers pay to the federal government
(e) drastic cuts to education were made, which will not bode well for the state's long term economy
(f) less regulation has led to Texas having the highest employee death rate in the nation
(g) the state imposes a franchise tax, severance tax and a high sales tax

I have yet to see a shining example of a red state that makes blue states jealous of how it's run.

LOL the old "yeah but the red states are too comeback"...

this is why liberals fail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut