Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 06:29 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

Eastern League Attendance | Eastern League Stats

7th of 12 in Eastern League in '14.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 07:30 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
I'm curious to know what the attendance would be like with the Hartford Yard Goats. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the first or second in attendance. Hartford is one of the most populated locations in the league. Richmond is more populated but the metropolitans total population is pretty much the same as Hartford.

Old 05-07-2015, 11:21 PM

6 of 12 in Eastern average well above 5k per game. That's a hard pace to sustain. I will say this team has been Ct's most successful, but cities like in years past New Haven, West Haven, the current Bridgeport and several more have been a fiscal disaster. The Post has covered the Bluefish troubles, and I posted their dismal attendance numbers below. I've been told our local central NJ stadium (same league) is awesome, and the attendance as shown above rocks. Going Saturday, so I'll compare it to Harbor Yard-which I have been to-and let you know.

Old 05-08-2015, 06:34 AM

1,292 posts, read 1,976,844 times
I am going to bet that attendance may initially spike in Hartford due to curiosity the first year, but will end up lower than it is in New Britain in the long run. Tickets and parking in Hartford will be significantly more costly than in New Britain, and New Britain will likely get an independent professional team (along the lines of the Bridgeport Bluefish) which will take a bite out of the attendance in Hartford because many people will choose to keep going to games in New Britain.

Old 05-08-2015, 07:36 AM

2,753 posts, read 3,314,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
I am going to bet that attendance may initially spike in Hartford due to curiosity the first year, but will end up lower than it is in New Britain in the long run. Tickets and parking in Hartford will be significantly more costly than in New Britain, and New Britain will likely get an independent professional team (along the lines of the Bridgeport Bluefish) which will take a bite out of the attendance in Hartford because many people will choose to keep going to games in New Britain.
I think Hartfords attendances will be decent in the long run. Remember the project also includes a brewery and retail space so I think it'll attract more people because it'll have more amenities. Parking garages are located right next to the XL Center which is only a few blocks away and they're building one by the ballpark. The new team will lose fans but also gain more fans on the east side of the river. Plus it's located right off the 91/84 interchange so the location couldn't be any better. You know what's also near the ballpark? Many businesses and companies. A lot more than what New Britain has. I think companies such as Aetna and Travelers will give out tickets to their workers. Hopefully they will be supported well by the large amount of companies in the downtown area. I think Hartford will be more successful than New Britain.

Last edited by HumpDay; 05-08-2015 at 07:44 AM..

Old 05-08-2015, 08:47 AM

1,572 posts, read 1,561,982 times
Quote:
Very true! I hear ya!

So far, through two home stands, I haven't attended a single game, even though I could've gone to at least two of them. The team I root for, the Trenton Thunder (AA-level Yankees), don't even come here until August. I just feel I should give this club no love or money, since they've already chosen to turn their backs on the City Of New Britain. Attendance is noticeably down, despite the Rock Cats having the best record in the Eastern League as of this writing.

I do wonder how an Atlantic League team would do here. I've been to the parks in Somerset (Bridgewater, NJ) and Long Island (Central Islip, NY). I've been by the Bridgeport ballpark a million times, either on I-95 or with Amtrak/Metro North. I just have no desire to go there. There's also the Can-Am League, but I'm not sure if that's affiliated or not.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:38 PM

The Can-Am League is independent also, but the Atlantic League is a higher level of play.

I think the brewery, retail, and businesses will do nothing to help attract fans to Hartford. Adults don't go to minor league baseball games by themselves. They are family events for bringing the little ones. The pre-teen crowd is who goes. Once kids hit about 13 they stop thinking minor league games are cool. No family is going to be patronizing a brewery. The parking by the XL Center is much too far away. No family will want to walk two or three city blocks with, say, three kids under age 10 in tow especially at night after the game is finished. The Rock Cats parking right now is literally at the front door of their stadium - it could not be more convenient.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:58 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
The Can-Am League is independent also, but the Atlantic League is a higher level of play.

I think the brewery, retail, and businesses will do nothing to help attract fans to Hartford. Adults don't go to minor league baseball games by themselves. They are family events for bringing the little ones. The pre-teen crowd is who goes. Once kids hit about 13 they stop thinking minor league games are cool. No family is going to be patronizing a brewery. The parking by the XL Center is much too far away. No family will want to walk two or three city blocks with, say, three kids under age 10 in tow especially at night after the game is finished. The Rock Cats parking right now is literally at the front door of their stadium - it could not be more convenient.
I do not agree. While there are a lot of families that go to minor league games, there are adults and teenagers there too. Also people walk from outer parking lots with small kids to go to the XL Center for games, why would it be any different for the ballpark? Have you ever been to Bridgeport's Harbor Yard stadium. People walk several blocks there without problem.

Also, the brewery is likely going to be more than just a bar. It will likely serve food and cater to all ages just like any other restaurant. The difference is they will brew the beer there. I have seen families at City Steam which is similar. Jay

Old 05-08-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I do not agree. While there are a lot of families that go to minor league games, there are adults and teenagers there too. Also people walk from outer parking lots with small kids to go to the XL Center for games, why would it be any different for the ballpark? Have you ever been to Bridgeport's Harbor Yard stadium. People walk several blocks there without problem.
We will see. I've gone to about a dozen Rock Cats games over the years and it is pretty much all little kids when I have been there. I would definitely feel odd going there as an adult without kids - sort of like going to see a Disney movie at the theatre without being accompanied by kids.

I don't know that I'd say that people with small kids like walking to the XL Center for games. Look how low the Wolf Pack's attendance is.

Yes, I have been to Harbor Yard plenty of times. The ballpark is directly across a small two lane street from the parking lot. It is not a walk at all.

We will see what happens in Hartford. I will be honest in that I am rooting for the team to fail because I think it was very shady what they did to New Britain.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:10 PM

I've been to Harbor Yard, and no one sane walks blocks around there. Across the street to the parking lot is enough.

I went to Hockey Game in same area 2 months ago by train, but would only go to day game, and was angry as last part of walkway from station to arena was locked. Cops said It would "probably" be safe to walk; it was about 2 blocks, Sunday afternoon, and I was the only one on those streets.

Contrast: Tonight I saw Somerset Patriots; very pretty park, attendance was several thousand on a chilly night, and it is in a very safe, nice suburb ..abutting a shopping mall. I would have walked there had I lived closer. I am 3 miles away. But the contrast in terms of regional safety is even more important a factor in the tremendous attendance gaps than the atmostphere inside. Somerset just signed an exec to an 8 year contract-who was here in 99 when they began. The Bluefish are struggling to survive.

IMO, if CT wants baseball, put it in safe suburbs..NOT inner cities. Ct Families with higher disposable incomes are not coming to the latter, as evidenced by the Bluefish last place attendance rank in their league.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut