Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 09:14 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Well come on back!
Sore subject! LOL

I agree that those lumping Manchester in with Meriden, Bristol etc are not being accurate. Manchester is far and above cleaner, has a much better and alive downtown, better access to highways the major cities (Meriden comes close), has it's neighborhoods much more in tact and well cared for, has a growing population of working and middle class, more development than any city it's size in the state and the tax base continues to grow. (But the taxes never go down...ooooooh no, can't have that!)

Old 12-06-2007, 09:56 AM

575 posts, read 3,132,730 times
Manchester, Bristol, and Meriden are very similar. According to the profiles compiled by the state last year, the per capita tax for all three of these places were pretty much even. The median housing price in Bristol and Meriden were higher than in Manchester, while the crime rate in Bristol was the lowest with Meriden and Manchester being equal. Meriden has access to 691, 91, and the parkway. Bristol is somewhat land locked but will soon have the rt. 72 extension.

The test scores for schools were very similar in Manchester and Bristol, Meriden's were lower. All town those towns have a working class population

Old 12-06-2007, 10:26 AM

Sir, I have lived in all three cities. I speak beyond "statistics".

Bristol and Meriden have burnt out, empty lifeless downtowns compared to Manchester.

The crime statistic in Manchester is skewed by petty theft in the retail area. The reality is the neighborhoods are MUCH safer in Manchester than the two others. In fact there is not one single neighborhood in Manchester that can even compare to Lewis avenue, or Brittania street in Meriden.

The access to Hartford in Manchester is 10 minutes via I384 with NO traffic vs Bristol and Meriden to a lessor degree. Meriden and Bristol are 30 minutes minimum from any major city.

The streets are cleaner, the neighborhoods are more intact - these are the facts you will not see on a sheet of paper.

The median income for Manchester is above the others as well.

Bristol 52K
Meriden 49K
Manchester 54K

CT magazine also rated the towns over 50K population and Manchester scored well ahead of both Bristol and Meriden.

That's what you can't figure out writing from the UK.

Old 12-06-2007, 04:42 PM

575 posts, read 3,132,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Bristol 52K
Meriden 49K
Manchester 54K

CT magazine also rated the towns over 50K population and Manchester scored well ahead of both Bristol and Meriden.

That's what you can't figure out writing from the UK.

Why do you always feel the need to attack people on this forum? I have lived in CT for over 18 years and have experienced all of it. I still own property there and will be returning back in mid December. Fortunate for me, I have a job that allows me to go all over the world and experience a greater magnitiude of things than Connecticut, or the rest of the United States, could offer.

Old 12-06-2007, 05:25 PM

2,102 posts, read 7,758,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post

Bristol 52K
Meriden 49K
Manchester 54K

Hamden 60K
Middletown 55K
These original three are relatively close to each other and still below the state average of $62,000. (I've thrown in Hamden and Middletown for good measure since they're similar to the others.)

Old 12-07-2007, 07:35 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Well come on back!
Trust me, I want to which is why I am trying to stay in touch. Too many factors right now to come back but groundwork is being laid to ensure that it will happen ASAP.

Old 12-07-2007, 11:41 PM

8 posts, read 39,136 times
Do you hate cultural attractions such as theaters and museums? Do streets lined with an exciting array of restaurants featuring cuisine from the around the globe make you want to stay home and watch a DVD? Do you prefer strip malls to world class universities and all they bring to a community-such as unique architectural character, that special vibe you only find in college towns, and the exciting night life that grows up in their shadow? Do you despise that annoying lack of homogenousness that invariably results from all the pesky diversity found wherever people and ideas are in abundance? If so, you'll want to add New Haven to top of your negative list and Hartford will be way up there too!! ;-)

Last edited by CT by choice; 12-08-2007 at 01:11 AM..

Old 12-08-2007, 06:25 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
Trust me, I want to which is why I am trying to stay in touch. Too many factors right now to come back but groundwork is being laid to ensure that it will happen ASAP.
Well hurry up. We are waiting for you!

Old 12-10-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glxyman21 View Post
Why do you always feel the need to attack people on this forum? I have lived in CT for over 18 years and have experienced all of it.
I'm not attacking you, I'm correcting you. Being that you have not lived in any of those cities and I have, I think my opinion on matters not measurable such as "clean streets" and such would have more weight.

I would not argue with you about your home town in CT when you lived here.

Old 12-13-2007, 01:29 PM

892 posts, read 1,577,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkat View Post
Best (excluding Fairfield County)
1.Cheshire
2. Litchfield
3. New Milford
4. Madison
5. Glastonbury

Worst
1. Meriden
2. Naugatuck
3. Bristol
4. Waterbury
5. New Britain

yes CT is overpriced but it is such a wonderful state. I'm sad we left it for NC. To me, now after living here, the things that the state offered are much more important than having a 3x bigger house here..all we have here is strip malls, housing developements and chain restaurants..no culture, no diversity, no history..just boredom
Sounds just like Florida!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut