Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2014, 01:27 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,420,077 times

Advertisements

I am pretty sure that Caswell Cove is on city water, no? If they had a private well I'd be concerned but if not, BIC's potential contamination issues don't make a difference as to what is coming out of the tap. I wouldn't worry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2014, 01:31 PM

369 posts, read 557,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I am pretty sure that Caswell Cove is on city water, no? If they had a private well I'd be concerned but if not, BIC's potential contamination issues don't make a difference as to what is coming out of the tap. I wouldn't worry.
The agent listing for it says "public water connected" so is that city water, then? (assuming the listing is correct)

Old 12-09-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoliWood View Post
The agent listing for it says "public water connected" so is that city water, then? (assuming the listing is correct)
Yes, that is city water so I wouldn't worry about the potential for groundwater contamination.

Old 12-09-2014, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Yes, that is city water so I wouldn't worry about the potential for groundwater contamination.
Thanks!

Old 12-09-2014, 02:05 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:

"MILFORD - The investigation into contamination around Milford's Caswell Cove, and why it went unreported for so long, delves deeper.Legislative leaders will meet with environmental officials at the Capitol Thursday for the first in a series of public hearings on the matter.Some lawmakers say something needs to be done so that contaminated drinking water does not go unreported again somewhere else in the state. The state Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) revealed in a report last month that the toxic chemical compound TCE has been leaking into the Housatonic River from the Caswell Cove Condominiums in Milford. The state also reported finding high levels of the chemical in three of the four residential buildings that were tested. The hearings will look into why the DEP failed to notify city health officials and governmental leaders about the problem."

Link only available for Optimum subscribers.
Lawmakers meet to discuss contamination at Milford's Caswell Cove - News 12 Connecticut

Old 12-09-2014, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
"MILFORD - The investigation into contamination around Milford's Caswell Cove, and why it went unreported for so long, delves deeper.Legislative leaders will meet with environmental officials at the Capitol Thursday for the first in a series of public hearings on the matter.Some lawmakers say something needs to be done so that contaminated drinking water does not go unreported again somewhere else in the state. The state Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) revealed in a report last month that the toxic chemical compound TCE has been leaking into the Housatonic River from the Caswell Cove Condominiums in Milford. The state also reported finding high levels of the chemical in three of the four residential buildings that were tested. The hearings will look into why the DEP failed to notify city health officials and governmental leaders about the problem."

Link only available for Optimum subscribers.
Lawmakers meet to discuss contamination at Milford's Caswell Cove - News 12 Connecticut
As a scientist, this statement means nothing to me:

The state also reported finding high levels of the chemical in three of the four residential buildings that were tested.

OK, so they found TCE in the buildings but that doesn't tell me what media (air? water? soil?). TCE in the ambient air is pretty unlikely, thought not impossible. Generally with industrial contamination like this, it will be in the soil or water. The reporting quoted above is pretty poor, so it is tough to draw any conclusions.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:38 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,861,134 times
Quote:
As a scientist, this statement means nothing to me:

The state also reported finding high levels of the chemical in three of the four residential buildings that were tested.

OK, so they found TCE in the buildings but that doesn't tell me what media (air? water? soil?). TCE in the ambient air is pretty unlikely, thought not impossible. Generally with industrial contamination like this, it will be in the soil or water. The reporting quoted above is pretty poor, so it is tough to draw any conclusions.

DEEP no longer offers their final report to the public. Do you have a way to access it?

Old 12-10-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
DEEP no longer offers their final report to the public. Do you have a way to access it?
DEEP tends to be a pain in the rear end with records. You have to physically show up to their public file room, look at the documents there and make copies, etc. Nothing is electronic.

I did find a document that alleges the TCE in the residential buildings was from vaporized contaminated groundwater. Unusual but not unheard of, which the more I think about it makes sense for that particular site. The groundwater table has got to be pretty high there. http://www.mitchellwilliamslaw.com/w...8DOC051811.pdf

Old 12-10-2014, 12:42 PM

Well, as it turns out, the owner of the place took a higher offer, so Caswell Cove is out. The search continues...

Old 12-13-2014, 12:59 AM

Any input on living in Shelton? I realize it's further from everything but I'd have to use my car anyway...the good, the bad, and the ugly?

How about South End Stratford area?

Also, does anyone have central a/c that's got vents on the floor, instead of ceilings? I'm seeing a lot of that in CT and am wondering how efficient they are and how cost effective to cool, vs ceiling vents.

Last edited by HoliWood; 12-13-2014 at 01:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut