Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2017, 12:04 PM

34,936 posts, read 56,945,109 times

Advertisements

Representative John Larson is still promoting his plan to bury I-91 and I-84 in Hartford. The costs will be staggering but he feels he could get the Federal government to come up with 90% of the funds. This seems to be prohibitively expensive but I would guess the same was said about Boston's Big Dig when it was first proposed. Jay

Tolls would be required for Larson's 'big dig' | HartfordBusiness.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 12:26 PM

845 posts, read 680,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Representative John Larson is still promoting his plan to bury I-91 and I-84 in Hartford. The costs will be staggering but he feels he could get the Federal government to come up with 90% of the funds. This seems to be prohibitively expensive but I would guess the same was said about Boston's Big Dig when it was first proposed. Jay

I actually agree with this. It would give Hartford some more taxable land. Even if it didn't, it would reunite the city with the waterfront. It would be a worthwhile investment for the state or the feds.

Old 09-22-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ads94 View Post
I actually agree with this. It would give Hartford some more taxable land. Even if it didn't, it would reunite the city with the waterfront. It would be a worthwhile investment for the state or the feds.
Except that the riverfront also has dikes and a rail line (yes, there is an active rail line running along side of I-91) separating the river from the city. Jay

Old 09-22-2017, 02:02 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:

No one should waste one second of their life thinking about this. As long as the Republican's control the Fed legislature nothing like this will ever be approved.

Old 09-28-2017, 08:02 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Madison, CT to Manhattan in 30 minutes by sea plane

New seaplane service will take you from Madison to Manhattan | WTNH Connecticut News

Old 09-28-2017, 08:06 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,834,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Finally an economical way to commute to Manhattan.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:39 AM

1,837 posts, read 1,613,491 times
Quote:
Except that the riverfront also has dikes and a rail line (yes, there is an active rail line running along side of I-91) separating the river from the city. Jay
Pushing aside a freight railroad isn't something taxpayers will find objectionable.

P&W may be forced to share the upgraded commuter rail lines to branch out to Hartford. Aside from the rail yard on the north end I'm not even sure what freight customers exist up past Hartford.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoHuskies View Post
Pushing aside a freight railroad isn't something taxpayers will find objectionable.

P&W may be forced to share the upgraded commuter rail lines to branch out to Hartford. Aside from the rail yard on the north end I'm not even sure what freight customers exist up past Hartford.
That freight line along I-91 is active. It serves the industrial area around Brainard Airport and goes south to Middletown.

North of Hartford are a lot of freight customers. There is a massive lumber distribution center for Home Depot in Bloomfield plus a number of others that use rail freight. This was why a plan to convert the rail line up there to a busway could not go forward. The rail lines were too important to remove. Jay

Old 09-29-2017, 09:12 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,456,376 times
Quote:
That freight line along I-91 is active. It serves the industrial area around Brainard Airport and goes south to Middletown.

North of Hartford are a lot of freight customers. There is a massive lumber distribution center for Home Depot in Bloomfield plus a number of others that use rail freight. This was why a plan to convert the rail line up there to a busway could not go forward. The rail lines were too important to remove. Jay
The railine along the river in Hartford is already partially underground thanks to 91. If were going to tunnel 91 the rail line could be decked over. CDOT owns the line P&W leases it if I remember right.

Old 09-29-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
The railine along the river in Hartford is already partially underground thanks to 91. If were going to tunnel 91 the rail line could be decked over. CDOT owns the line P&W leases it if I remember right.
That rail line is currently decked over in the vicinity of Constitution Plaza and the Science Center/Convention Center. But they are talking about lowering I-91 to get direct access to the river. The rail line and **** are still in the way of doing that. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut