Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2018, 10:19 AM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Yes absolutely. We increase property taxes every year to pay for an increasingly overcharging / underperforming public schools, don’t we?

And yes, put that lockbox in, or send politicians to jail for malfeasance. You don’t need to do acrobatics with tolls.

Stop double-dipping.
You do realize that without tolls the state is missing out on a significant amount of money from out-of-state drivers who use our roads for free now. Also I do not see any double-dipping. The money from the gas tax goes into the Transportation Fund which funds our transportation network. That tax has not been increased in nearly 2 decades. The money towns get from the car tax goes to them to fund local road maintenance. Tolls would allow the state to tap new money from out-of-state drivers and maybe lower or off set the gas and car taxes. It all depends on how far they want to carry it. Good thing Malloy is doing that $10 million toll study. It will help answer these questions and give the new Governor and legislature the options they have.

Also I don't agree that our public schools are underperforming in Connecticut. We consistently rank at or near the top for public schools. There is no way that we can educate every student. There are just too many with family/social issues that can't be solved by the school system. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 11:19 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
Many other countries have tolls. France for example. And get this — they don’t tell you how much the toll is until you see a post-it note at the booth. And yes, I have paid tolls in Switzerland.

Switzerland and other countries have other headaches when driving. 1 swissfranc to use the toilette at the rest-stop. And what happens if you have no cash? How about in France, where is so hard to combine the restaurant and parking together, unless of course you wear spandex riding a Bianchi Veloce.

And don’t get me started where coin machines don’t give you change back. Or Parking Ticket machine doesn’t work and you have to go chase someone to lift the damn gate. Or paying double or triple for gas. And yes, I have paid tolls in Switzerland, and speeding tickets from cameras for once going 90 km/hr in an 80 zone.

As a matter of public policy Europe pushes its subjects to use public transport, where pick-pockets wait for you. Teenage girls, looking like beach bums rub against you in trains, markets etc, and your purse, with credit cards, ID, cash will evaporate.

No country (and I have been to many in Asia, S America, Europe, gives you the driving pleasure our country does. It’s absolutely part of the Quality of Life. I mean that’s CT’s last pride isn’t it?

We need to increase QOL. People driving for pleasure also spend money and help local economies. Tolls, hassles — they do the opposite.

I have EZ Pass and SunPass and drive the Eastern seaboard all the time, and I hate it when I have to decide if I need to go local in Virginia and go express, avoid the crowd, but spend $40 for driving 50 miles.

Sounds like a bunch of commies. Thank God you don't live in Europe.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:03 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Still CT does not have the land to expand highways or offer up another highway in lieu of tolls. Raising taxes on gas, lowering sales tax to a 4 to 5 percent, a flat income tax rate of 7 to 8 percent with $45,000 tax exempt, allowing Counties to add a .25 percent county tax where funds are distributed to towns based off of population percentage within those towns/cities, legalizing marijuana, and capping mill rates on properties at a 45 rate seems the best way to go.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:22 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
One way to solve traffic jams in CT is state need reach out to companies to accept truck deliveries around 8 PM to 7:00 AM. Trucks should be banned on highways during certain hours on I-95 they do cause slowdowns on highway.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:25 PM

The state need to get rid of some highway exits and emergency lanes on right for extra lane on 95 in some spots. The emergency lane spot can be every 7 mile on highway.

Old 08-07-2018, 01:49 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Still CT does not have the land to expand highways or offer up another highway in lieu of tolls. Raising taxes on gas, lowering sales tax to a 4 to 5 percent, a flat income tax rate of 7 to 8 percent with $45,000 tax exempt, allowing Counties to add a .25 percent county tax where funds are distributed to towns based off of population percentage within those towns/cities, legalizing marijuana, and capping mill rates on properties at a 45 rate seems the best way to go.
Actually most of Connecticut highways do have enough right-of-way for widening. There is land beyond the edge of roads. It is not as tight as people think. I-84 and I-91 have sufficient right-of-way for widening without taking additional land. I-95 has already been widened through Bridgeport and New Haven where the tightest ROW exists. Strategic and limited land takes along I-95 will allow for widening the rest of it as well.

Why would you have a county tax? We do not have a county level of government and quite frankly I do not see a need to add one. I could see allowing towns and cities to levy an additional sales tax on o the state tax but not add a county level to our state. IT is completely unnecessary. Jay

Old 08-07-2018, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Actually most of Connecticut highways do have enough right-of-way for widening. There is land beyond the edge of roads. It is not as tight as people think. I-84 and I-91 have sufficient right-of-way for widening without taking additional land. I-95 has already been widened through Bridgeport and New Haven where the tightest ROW exists. Strategic and limited land takes along I-95 will allow for widening the rest of it as well.

Why would you have a county tax? We do not have a county level of government and quite frankly I do not see a need to add one. I could see allowing towns and cities to levy an additional sales tax on o the state tax but not add a county level to our state. IT is completely unnecessary. Jay
CT could allow additional sale taxes on certain items of 0.50% for cities and towns in exchange getting rid of car taxes.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:14 PM

2,001 posts, read 1,866,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
One way to solve traffic jams in CT is state need reach out to companies to accept truck deliveries around 8 PM to 7:00 AM. Trucks should be banned on highways during certain hours on I-95 they do cause slowdowns on highway.
I know this works some places but adding a stop light at entrance to highways so that many cars wont merge on at the same time slowing everyone down . It will back on ramps up but atleast the highways wr stay moving

Old 08-07-2018, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayoskillz View Post
I know this works some places but adding a stop light at entrance to highways so that many cars wont merge on at the same time slowing everyone down . It will back on ramps up but atleast the highways wr stay moving
The issue with interstate 95 is volume of vehicles on highway state never address the problem it getting worst every year. I recommend add more services on Metro North, track improvements, faster trains, new technology

Old 08-07-2018, 04:13 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
CT could allow additional sale taxes on certain items of 0.50% for cities and towns in exchange getting rid of car taxes.
Be game for a sales tax county and/or citt wise with capping property tax at 45 to 50 mill rate and doing away with the car tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut