Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 07:09 PM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
No comparison to Stamford/Norwalk/Bridgeport/New Haven corridor. Major employers, main corridor to New England, museums, aquarium, zoo, universities, beaches, hundreds of restaurants.
Never said it was but still it is hardly nothing. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2018, 07:48 AM

37,157 posts, read 39,430,503 times
Penn Station Access for Metro-North, following on the rather wasteful East Side Access Plan for LIRR, should supposedly be able to launch in a decade or so. A good number of LIRR trains are to be shifted over to LIRR and the main line of LIRR probably does not have the capacity to fulfill all of LIRR’s current Penn Station slots as well as the new Grand Central slots, so some of that Penn Station capacity is supposed to be given over to the New Haven Line so that the New Haven Line and its various branches can have an increased frequency and/or Shore Line East if electrified can head to Penn Station. That frequency maybe qualifies as an upcoming major infrastructure upgrade. Has anyone seen any projections/plans on how much of a boost there’s supposed to be and what the service pattern will be?

Old 08-20-2018, 08:27 AM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
An interesting article on CT Rail's construction. Jay

How one contractor helped design and build the state's $769M Hartford rail line | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 08-20-2018, 09:28 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,208,951 times
Rather than “nickel-and-dime” with a single lane expansion of I-95 CT can go another direction:

-Build a tunnel from Greenwich to Bridgeport to parallel I-95. About 30 miles. Europeans built the 30 mile tunnel ar English Channel, so can we, or even longer.

How to pay for it? Follow the model of the Cheasepeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel. No public money involved. CBBT Authority issued bonds and got low-interest loans. Tolls pay them back. When CBBT pays everything back (about 15-20 years from now) tolls drop or disappear.

Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel

Heavier tolls during rush hour. I would gladly pay $ 20 like I do on I-95 express lanes in Virginia, for a lot less congested drive.

You want to evade the toll — suffer thru local streets, or slow highways.

Having driven thru the Cheasepeake Bridge &!Tunnel, which is a beautiful 20-minute quick relaxing drive, which it did not cost Virginia taxpayers a dime — I wonder why CT can’t do the same thing thru the craziness of I-95 in FFC.

Tunneling also minimizes environmental impacts, and rightoway issues thru some very strong NIMBY opposition in FFC.

Old 08-20-2018, 11:54 AM

712 posts, read 530,903 times
Quote:
Rather than “nickel-and-dime” with a single lane expansion of I-95 CT can go another direction:

-Build a tunnel from Greenwich to Bridgeport to parallel I-95. About 30 miles. Europeans built the 30 mile tunnel ar English Channel, so can we, or even longer.

How to pay for it? Follow the model of the Cheasepeake Bay Bridge and Tunnel. No public money involved. CBBT Authority issued bonds and got low-interest loans. Tolls pay them back. When CBBT pays everything back (about 15-20 years from now) tolls drop or disappear.

Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel

Heavier tolls during rush hour. I would gladly pay $ 20 like I do on I-95 express lanes in Virginia, for a lot less congested drive.

You want to evade the toll — suffer thru local streets, or slow highways.

Having driven thru the Cheasepeake Bridge &!Tunnel, which is a beautiful 20-minute quick relaxing drive, which it did not cost Virginia taxpayers a dime — I wonder why CT can’t do the same thing thru the craziness of I-95 in FFC.

Tunneling also minimizes environmental impacts, and rightoway issues thru some very strong NIMBY opposition in FFC.
A 30 mile 6 lane highway tunnel. Sounds very affordable to build LOL Thankfully city-data members don't determine public policy
Oh and I'd have to ask how you would spill all the traffic out of that tunnel? Dump out the tunnel into greenwich. There would be massive delays on the tunnel. You'd be merging/stopping all that traffic since it would terminate in greenwich.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
A 30 mile 6 lane highway tunnel. Sounds very affordable to build LOL Thankfully city-data members don't determine public policy
Oh and I'd have to ask how you would spill all the traffic out of that tunnel? Dump out the tunnel into greenwich. There would be massive delays on the tunnel. You'd be merging/stopping all that traffic since it would terminate in greenwich.
I-95 thru FFC is congested around the clock now and it is getting worse. But you can’t really widen enough. So tell me — what options are there?

Adding an express route (maybe 3-4 exits in 30-40 miles) would definitely help. South of DC they did on the surface because they had the room. We don’t have the room.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:50 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,946,605 times
Quote:
I-95 thru FFC is congested around the clock now and it is getting worse. But you can’t really widen enough. So tell me — what options are there?

Adding an express route (maybe 3-4 exits in 30-40 miles) would definitely help. South of DC they did on the surface because they had the room. We don’t have the room.
They would get rid of some exits between New Haven and Greenwich Exit 26, Exit 32, Exit 19, Exit 11 etc it can be used to widen highway a bit

Old 08-20-2018, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondtheHorizon View Post
A 30 mile 6 lane highway tunnel. Sounds very affordable to build LOL Thankfully city-data members don't determine public policy .
Maybe we should. The ones doing it obviously are doing a very bad job, otherwise we wouldn’t be here talking about it.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
They would get rid of some exits between New Haven and Greenwich Exit 26, Exit 32, Exit 19, Exit 11 etc it can be used to widen highway a bit
Given the demographics in FFC, I would definitely put an express highway, along a local one. 3 exits - Stamford, Norwalk, Westport. Milk all hedge-funders with $ 20-30 tolls at rush hour. They would be willing to pay for the convenience and speed. So would many trucks. Regular Joe driving from Shelton to Norwalk can go free thru local lanes.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:04 PM

712 posts, read 530,903 times
Quote:
Given the demographics in FFC, I would definitely put an express highway, along a local one. 3 exits - Stamford, Norwalk, Westport. Milk all hedge-funders with $ 20-30 tolls at rush hour. They would be willing to pay for the convenience and speed. So would many trucks. Regular Joe driving from Shelton to Norwalk can go free thru local lanes.
What percentage of people do you think are hedge funders? They are called the top 1% for a reason.They make up less than 1 percent of the population and I guarantee you they're not making long commutes for from Bridgeport to Stamford. The money you would collect from hedge funders at 20-30 dollars would be nothing because there are so few of them. Average joe would end up stuck paying just like in Virginia if you instituted something like that. Guaranteed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut