Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2019, 01:17 AM

712 posts, read 541,864 times

Advertisements

2018 annual report on all CT rails from CT Community Rail Council:
https://ctcommuterrailcouncil.org/wp...eport-2018.pdf

2018 Shore Line East was disaster due to repairs.
some of Southwest station parking lot waiting time is up to 8 years.
Hartford Line has riders fear of over crowding issue where Amtrak Hartford Line might kick off UPASS riders, etc.

Fun read on state of affairs on CT rails in 2018
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2019, 07:29 AM

34,913 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP Nutmegger View Post
You put those tolls on bridges, and you can bet your bottom dollar (if taxes don't take 83 cents of it) that tolls on highways will follow soon thereafter. Give them an inch... And, like the "temporary" state income tax, they won't be temporary until the bridges are rehabbed or rebuilt. Plenty of wasteful spending that can be cut elsewhere, but I digress.
I am not sure what you mean about the above but even the great naysayer, Republican State Senator Len Fasano has said there is little “fat” left to cut. Jay

Old 10-13-2019, 10:07 AM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am not sure what you mean about the above but even the great naysayer, Republican State Senator Len Fasano has said there is little “fat” left to cut. Jay
Almost the entirety Senate GOP delegation has proposed multiple massive overhauls of the current transportation system, they are in agreement with the Democrats on that and they are fully aware that CTDOT is in dire need of capital funding. The difference is the GOPers want to bond out the projects which isn't a terrible idea with rates today it would fill in the hole of the savings that the pension changes just did a few years ago, instead of using tolls as a backstop/running funding source. They are also simply awful at marketing their competing plans.

With CTDOT there is literally no more fat to cut, and should really in-house construction with their own GSE construction company like they did before Rell (IIRC) bid out the projects to pretty bad results.

Old 10-13-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Almost the entirety Senate GOP delegation has proposed multiple massive overhauls of the current transportation system, they are in agreement with the Democrats on that and they are fully aware that CTDOT is in dire need of capital funding. The difference is the GOPers want to bond out the projects which isn't a terrible idea with rates today it would fill in the hole of the savings that the pension changes just did a few years ago, instead of using tolls as a backstop/running funding source. They are also simply awful at marketing their competing plans.

With CTDOT there is literally no more fat to cut, and should really in-house construction with their own GSE construction company like they did before Rell (IIRC) bid out the projects to pretty bad results.
As someone whose been in the business long before Rell was Governor, I am not sure what you are referring to when you say the state had their own in house construction. To my knowledge CTDOT has never had their own construction forces. They have a unit that can do minor paving, repairs and all maintenance but never full construction of roads, bridges or track.

I strongly disagree with the state borrowing more money without a way to pay for it. That is insane and part of the reason we have problems we have today. We should not be putting a burden on future generations. Jay

Old 10-13-2019, 10:51 PM

Dan Haar: Looming $600 million gap means tolls are unavoidable

Latest article on Lamont's newest 18 billion 10 year transportation plan.
https://www.middletownpress.com/news...t-14518460.php

Old 10-14-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
Dan Haar: Looming $600 million gap means tolls are unavoidable

Latest article on Lamont's newest 18 billion 10 year transportation plan.
https://www.middletownpress.com/news...t-14518460.php
This is a great article that explains a very complex situation. It is right that there is going to be a shortfall in transportation funding in the coming years but it is wrong in its conclusion that tolls are inevitable. There is another option and that is raising the gas tax. The tax has not been raised in over 20 years. Raising the tax though pretty much places the full burden of the cost on Connecticut taxpayers and continues to give out of state drivers a free ride. Isn’t it time they start to pay their fair share like we do in other states?

I also have reservations about Lamont’s $18 billion plan. It is not comprehensive enough. It is yet another band aid approach to transportation and is not much different that what we have done over the past 30 years. It just barely brings the state into the 21st Century let alone carry through it. Jay

Old 10-14-2019, 10:17 AM

830 posts, read 1,092,192 times
Ferry idea from Stamford/Bridgeport to Manhattan being brought up again my Lamont apparently:

https://www.ctinsider.com/politics/c...f-14515820.php

Old 10-14-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanny13 View Post
Ferry idea from Stamford/Bridgeport to Manhattan being brought up again my Lamont apparently:

https://www.ctinsider.com/politics/c...f-14515820.php
Ferry idea is not going to work out. In CT we have three rail lines: Metro North, CTrail Shore Line East and Hartford Line. The three lines means that virtually all the CT residents can take the train and go to NYC in relatively fast speed. Furry speed is a lot slower than train, and it is not cheap either to build.

Checkout my post, CT is short of $600 million infrastructure gap. It is not that we have unlimited resources.

Old 10-14-2019, 01:49 PM

2,358 posts, read 2,181,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
As someone whose been in the business long before Rell was Governor, I am not sure what you are referring to when you say the state had their own in house construction. To my knowledge CTDOT has never had their own construction forces. They have a unit that can do minor paving, repairs and all maintenance but never full construction of roads, bridges or track.

I strongly disagree with the state borrowing more money without a way to pay for it. That is insane and part of the reason we have problems we have today. We should not be putting a burden on future generations. Jay

Sorry Jay I could've sworn CTDOT had a separate squad of construction for big renovations (but not new builds). If I was wrong I apologise.

Old 10-15-2019, 12:10 PM

830 posts, read 1,092,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxzz View Post
Ferry idea is not going to work out. In CT we have three rail lines: Metro North, CTrail Shore Line East and Hartford Line. The three lines means that virtually all the CT residents can take the train and go to NYC in relatively fast speed. Furry speed is a lot slower than train, and it is not cheap either to build.

Checkout my post, CT is short of $600 million infrastructure gap. It is not that we have unlimited resources.
I completely agree, and don't understand why they keep bringing it up again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut