Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2015, 01:29 PM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Fasttrak should expand up to Meriden, Shoreline East should expand to Providence, RI for connections to Boston Metro area, Waterbury Line need to improve
The New Haven- Hartford-Springfield rail project will provide service between Meriden and Hartford. In fact the service will connect New Haven all the way to Springfield with stops in many towns along the way.

Shoreline East will never go all the way to Providence. That would be treading on Amtrak's business. The best you will see is to Westerly. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 02:35 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,958,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
My point is that if CTfastrak service was stopped and no replacement service was implemented, the potential exists for adding as many as 14,000 more vehicles to I-84. That obviously is not going to happen but people need to realize that the money spent on CTfastrak is not wasted and the impacts of not having it could be significant.

To answer your question, yes one person going to and from work would count as 2 rides, one each way. And your next step, building little transit nodes, is what communities along the line are doing. It will be interesting to see how they respond. I know it is a big controversy in Newington where there is concern that massive towers will be built that are out of scale with the rest of the town. I think that is a bit dramatic but the need for more dense development in and around the stations is apparent. Jay
Isn't there a Fast Track site in Newington already, right near the Fenn Rd Stop & Shop? If the town is worried about development there, they're really being silly. There has been nothing there for years (I lived in Newington from 1997-2004 and grew up in nearby Cromwell) and I had never heard anything about it being developed. And, if these "towers" are parking garages there, it's not like they'll be towering over Grandma and Grandpa living right next door. There is a gas station at the corner of Fenn Rd and Cedar St (Rte 175) and a Dunkin Donuts and a few small businesses and another gas station on 175, and the strip mall at Stop & Shop. Is the Jade Lee Chinese restaurant going to suffer if it's in the shade?

Or, is this a new site you're talking about?

Old 07-22-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
Isn't there a Fast Track site in Newington already, right near the Fenn Rd Stop & Shop? If the town is worried about development there, they're really being silly. There has been nothing there for years (I lived in Newington from 1997-2004 and grew up in nearby Cromwell) and I had never heard anything about it being developed. And, if these "towers" are parking garages there, it's not like they'll be towering over Grandma and Grandpa living right next door. There is a gas station at the corner of Fenn Rd and Cedar St (Rte 175) and a Dunkin Donuts and a few small businesses and another gas station on 175, and the strip mall at Stop & Shop. Is the Jade Lee Chinese restaurant going to suffer if it's in the shade?

Or, is this a new site you're talking about?
No, that is one of the sites. The other is further north at Newington Junction. The town residents feared losing control of what gets built when there was a Bill at the Capitol that would have formed a Transit Oriented Development Commission. They were worried that high rise buildings would get built. Remember this is a town that fought the construction of a modest 55+ development up on Cedar Mountain. They don't want change to their community. I guess you can't blame them. Jay

Old 07-28-2015, 12:29 PM

It looks like the state is beginning to move forward with the planning and design of some major new projects under Governor Malloy's massive transportation program. There is money being allocated to pay for beginning such projects as I-84 in Danbury, the I-84/Route 8 interchange in Waterbury, the I-91/Route 15 interchange in Meriden and a bus-rapid transit corridor between Norwalk and Stamford. All are interesting and much needed projects. Jay

State OKs money for I-84 widening, public transit - Connecticut Post

Old 07-28-2015, 12:31 PM

And not to scare any of our Fairfield County commuters but CTDOT is beginning to plan for a major repaving project on I-95 in Bridgeport and Fairfield. Should create some real problems next year. Jay

State plans paving on I-95 next summer - Connecticut Post

Old 07-28-2015, 02:03 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Heard in the news today CT is going for this five year plan to fix CT infrastructure. Bit hesitant on the whole bit. I mean CT fixing transportation can go 98% good, Fast Track, and some empty promises, Mix Master. Definitely roads and bridges need improvement in the state.

Old 07-28-2015, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Heard in the news today CT is going for this five year plan to fix CT infrastructure. Bit hesitant on the whole bit. I mean CT fixing transportation can go 98% good, Fast Track, and some empty promises, Mix Master. Definitely roads and bridges need improvement in the state.
This is the first part of a $100 billion 30 year transportation plan for the state that Malloy has proposed. This begins the planning and design of several of the major projects that are proposed under the Malloy plan. Jay

Old 07-28-2015, 09:26 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,489,117 times
Yippy! Looks like I'll be busy for the next 10 to 15 years.

Keep the jobs coming. Minus the FFC jobs, I dont feel like driving that far.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:41 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
And not to scare any of our Fairfield County commuters but CTDOT is beginning to plan for a major repaving project on I-95 in Bridgeport and Fairfield. Should create some real problems next year. Jay

State plans paving on I-95 next summer - Connecticut Post
Only in CT can paving a few miles of road take 5 months. Face palm. In Virginia, they would have built a forth lane in each direction all the way to Stamford during this tenor. I'm also appalled by the overhaul of the RT 7 interchange with 95. What was the point of the project to not have 2 lanes from rt 7 southbound connect with I 95 and increase capacity? Both of these lanes could have extended to exit 14 before terminating. At least northbound there is an additional lane from exit 13 to exit 15/rt 7. Epic fail. So much for fixing bottlenecks. I'm tempted to file a lawsuit over a colossal waste of taxpayer dollars.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:54 AM

62 posts, read 86,553 times
Quote:
Well the Republicans in Connecticut have now proposed spending less than half of the amount proposed under Governor Malloy's $100 billion 30 year plan. They say we have to live within our means and do not need to look beyond current funding sources (i.e. no tolls). They also think that the Federal government will increase the amount they contribute in the future to roadways but that is not likely given the way things are going in Congress today.

Amazon.com ramps up for CT hiring | HartfordBusiness.com

Personally, I find the Republican plan to be more of the same old thing. Our transportation infrastructure is falling apart and there is a strong need to do something bold to fix things. State Senator Fasano's statements on Federal funding and that you can only do "one project" at a time on I-95 show he knows very little about transportation projects. Right now there are several projects going on along the highway including the Q Bridge, the West River Bridge, the Moses Wheeler Bridge and the operational lane project near Route 7 in Norwalk. In the past they rebuilt I-95 in Bridgeport when projects were going on in Darien and Stamford. I also like how former CTDOT Commissioner and Deputy Secretary of Transportation at the USDOT, Emil Frankel, told him his assumptions on Federal money increasing were not the best assumption to make.

So the question is, do we keep going along at the same pace we have been for the past 20 years or do we change? What do you think? Jay

Agree with this assessment, the fact is Infrastructure does need the push, and the rich trash from fairfield, no bias here, will just up and move out of state once it does eventually. Democrats aren't better but the same old same old Republican song and dance is a tired one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut