Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2015, 06:57 AM

62 posts, read 86,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comp625 View Post
I'm OK with the idea of tolls as long as the EzPass booths (a) do not add to the already horrendous traffic situation, (b) do not cause more accidents/deaths and (c) truly bring in the revenue that the State is looking for due to out-of-state travelers. Not to reiterate the tolls topic, but IMO, this means placing a booth at the Greenwich/Port Chester line, the Stonington line, the Union line, and the Enfield line.

On a greater scale, the state needs to leverage the fact that Stamford and Norwalk collectively represent one of the strongest business/economic centers in Connecticut. Infrastructure that allows a greater volume without hindering traffic flow through Fairfield County would be very beneficial in that regard. The same holds true for the Hartford area - the 91/84 traffic is so terrible that it's a turnoff for employers and employees alike.

IF we must do tolls, then I think the valid concern is any added traffic, which is already bad enough. Unlike Malloy's boneheaded plan for transport between New Britain and Hartford, implement it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 06:58 AM

62 posts, read 86,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
I've lived in CT basically my entire life, and Connecticut almost never thinks boldly and long-term.
You just described Hartford government to a tee.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:04 AM

26 posts, read 32,623 times
Malloy's proposal for the 30 year $100 billion dollar plan was one of the worst things he could've done. Any transportation authority, lets take the MTA for example, sticks to 5 year capital plans which are far more foreseeable. Not only does the CT DOT have a 5 capital plan currently in progress but then the governor tried to plan the next 30 years of infrastructure improvements, as if the timeline will run flawlessly for 30 years. Not even everything in a 5 year program runs smoothly, how many times have we seen deadlines go extended? CDM Smith just finished a study to find out that implementation of tolls won't be able to fully finance this absurd budget and I highly doubt Malloy will reduce the budget.

Instead Malloy should've just introduced the projects of the 30 year project in individual 5 year capital programs and pointless feasibility studies for tolls wouldn't have had to take place

Old 07-29-2015, 07:19 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicape View Post
Malloy's proposal for the 30 year $100 billion dollar plan was one of the worst things he could've done. Any transportation authority, lets take the MTA for example, sticks to 5 year capital plans which are far more foreseeable. Not only does the CT DOT have a 5 capital plan currently in progress but then the governor tried to plan the next 30 years of infrastructure improvements, as if the timeline will run flawlessly for 30 years. Not even everything in a 5 year program runs smoothly, how many times have we seen deadlines go extended? CDM Smith just finished a study to find out that implementation of tolls won't be able to fully finance this absurd budget and I highly doubt Malloy will reduce the budget.

Instead Malloy should've just introduced the projects of the 30 year project in individual 5 year capital programs and pointless feasibility studies for tolls wouldn't have had to take place
I think you really have to work hard to fault a guy for having a long-term vision.

The plan will obviously be broken down in to shorter, manageable segments and projects.

My gripe is too much highway in the plan and not enough on expanding rail.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:33 AM

453 posts, read 530,795 times
Quote:

I'm not saying CT state projects don't face delays or cost overruns, but the MTA should NEVER be an example to follow. There is more mismanagement in funds and delays on projects by the MTA than any company / city / state I've ever seen. Projects end up years overdue and millions over budget (Fulton Transit Center, 7 line extension, 2nd ave subway)

Old 07-29-2015, 07:34 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
I thinking of all the money put into the Mixmaster from the state. Mixmaster isn't as old as some highways in the state. It was created back in the seventies where state came in and eminent domain properties. Then gave false promises of rebuilding those empty lots in that area.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:44 AM

34,924 posts, read 56,924,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Only in CT can paving a few miles of road take 5 months. Face palm. In Virginia, they would have built a forth lane in each direction all the way to Stamford during this tenor. I'm also appalled by the overhaul of the RT 7 interchange with 95. What was the point of the project to not have 2 lanes from rt 7 southbound connect with I 95 and increase capacity? Both of these lanes could have extended to exit 14 before terminating. At least northbound there is an additional lane from exit 13 to exit 15/rt 7. Epic fail. So much for fixing bottlenecks. I'm tempted to file a lawsuit over a colossal waste of taxpayer dollars.
I have to disagree with you non this. First of all 5 months is not a long time to pave a highway and I HIGHLY doubt it would be done faster anywhere else in the country.

Providing a fourth lane all the way to Stamford would have been a major project that would have taken years to plan, get approved and built. That is true here or anywhere because of Federal environmental requirements and procedures. The addition of the lane on I-95 from Route 7 to the next interchange is considered a minor change and did not require going through a long environmental review and planning process because it is considered to be an extension of an operational lane. A double lane would be different and would have required taking a significant amount of property for right-of-way which is just not feasible in the context of the work being planned. Malloy has proposed widening I-95 from New Haven to New York in his 30 year transportation plan. A project of that size and scope will take years to plan, review, approve and construct. I would think it would address the deficiencies of the current nearly 60 year old highway. Jay

Old 07-29-2015, 07:57 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,167,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I have to disagree with you non this. First of all 5 months is not a long time to pave a highway and I HIGHLY doubt it would be done faster anywhere else in the country.

Providing a fourth lane all the way to Stamford would have been a major project that would have taken years to plan, get approved and built. That is true here or anywhere because of Federal environmental requirements and procedures. The addition of the lane on I-95 from Route 7 to the next interchange is considered a minor change and did not require going through a long environmental review and planning process because it is considered to be an extension of an operational lane. A double lane would be different and would have required taking a significant amount of property for right-of-way which is just not feasible in the context of the work being planned. Malloy has proposed widening I-95 from New Haven to New York in his 30 year transportation plan. A project of that size and scope will take years to plan, review, approve and construct. I would think it would address the deficiencies of the current nearly 60 year old highway. Jay
Give me a break Jay--- In Northern Virginia they built 14 miles of new (congestion pricing) lanes in both directions along the Capital Beltway in just 4 years!!!!! In a similar timeframe they also connected the Metro with Tyson's Corner. What environmental review is required for the Route 7 merge into 95? You have got to be kidding me....

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.1080...7i13312!8i6656

http://www.vamegaprojects.com/tasks/...er_11_2010.pdf

Old 07-29-2015, 08:39 AM

Quote:

The state has been working on 5 year plans for decades now and they just do not work. There really needs to be a long-term vision with a way to pay for it worked out. This plan will not be set in stone but will allow CTDOT to move forward for some very large and complex projects that have long been needed. Without a 30 year plan it is unlikely that a project to widen I-95 would move forward. IT is a bold program but a very needed one. Criticizing it is just poor short-term thinking that has gotten us where we are today. Also note that the Governor's panel on transportation funding will be the one to make recommendations on how to fund the 30 year plan. They just began their process and will likely not have recommendations for several months. Jay

Old 07-30-2015, 08:03 AM

Construction is starting on improvements to State Street Station in downtown New Haven for the New Haven-Hartford-Springfield train service. Good news for transportation here in Connecticut. Jay

All Aboard! New Platform Planned For State Street Station | New Haven Independent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut