Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2016, 12:26 PM

83,542 posts, read 75,390,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Nice, I threw 4 bags of manure and 4 of top soil and tilled it in. Just went to the farmers almanac and did a great garden plan layout. Very psyched to get things going and come May I can plant more seeds for more harvest as the season goes on. Seeing the weather outside just gets me itching.
Fun isn't it? Yeah, this is weather is such a tease! In a way I hope we get some freezes again because if we don't, then we have wasted all this time waiting to plant out. lol

Be careful throwing it directly into the garden soil. If its not rotted manure, you'll end up burning the plants because its too fresh and rich. Maybe by time you get the plants in, it might be ok as long as mixed in good..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 12:45 PM

Did I just jinx it? Dare I say the S word??? Ok, dont worry, it would be just a few flakes mixed in if anything but it does mean cold is coming back... keep that garden itch at bay

https://twitter.com/DanLeonard_wx/st...94636149841921

Old 04-19-2016, 01:01 PM

2,668 posts, read 4,500,218 times
Yeah I've never run into issues with the manure but I let the beds sit for awhile after I till it all in and rake level. Bags went in last Thursday, I was tempted to find a farm and grab a few buckets but since I was already at Agway I just picked up their sale (4/$7.99 top soil and 4/$10.99 manure).

I'm shocked in using the planner how many plants can fit inside a square foot, makes me realize how underutilized my space was last year. But since it was my first time with this garden at my new home (learning sun patterns, watering, etc.) I had the tomatoes up front which blocked a lot of sun for the rest of the crops.

Planting this year is going parallel with the sun and I did not get to the watering system this year but picked up a nice 8-way sprinkler that be patterned to the garden perfectly.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
Yeah I've never run into issues with the manure but I let the beds sit for awhile after I till it all in and rake level. Bags went in last Thursday, I was tempted to find a farm and grab a few buckets but since I was already at Agway I just picked up their sale (4/$7.99 top soil and 4/$10.99 manure).

I'm shocked in using the planner how many plants can fit inside a square foot, makes me realize how underutilized my space was last year. But since it was my first time with this garden at my new home (learning sun patterns, watering, etc.) I had the tomatoes up front which blocked a lot of sun for the rest of the crops.

Planting this year is going parallel with the sun and I did not get to the watering system this year but picked up a nice 8-way sprinkler that be patterned to the garden perfectly.
Cool info! Yeah, I was studying the sun/shade pattern and timing for a couple yrs then when I realized I should plant the tall crops on the north side of the bed I did a . Didn't even think of that. lol

Good point about utilizing the space. Last year I tried to pack too much in and didn't have the greatest Tomato yields. 40 tomato plants in like a 6x10 space. I tried. Wasn't worth it. This year same space but only 25 of them.

I keep it simple and just use a bitmap each year to plot out.

Every other year I try to rotate but sometimes its a pain because some stuff doesn't do well in spots but you can keep them there because it might not be a good companion with another plant.

Like the Potatoes and Snap Peas or String Beans on the left. They shouldn't be near each other but its the best spot for the Peas and String beans. I'm not sure about the Okra there because it will shade the Potatoes. I have a Pine tree that shades half of the left bed starting at 1pm so they only get like 3 hrs of sun so I have to keep my cooler crops there every year..

I think I maxed out on the right trying to squeeze things in. Tomatoes are far enough from the Cukes so they wont shade them.

Old 04-24-2016, 04:18 AM

Weather has been amazingly dry and seasonably warm (60s,70s) past 2 weeks. Only 1/4" of rain. Still too early to put anything out there EVEN IF there is no frost threat. Plants don't like 40s!

April 23, 2016

About 60 Tomatoes. All looking very healthy and strong. I have not fed them. The Potting soil in the transfer to the cups has enough food they need as a seedling.

By the time they deplete those nutrients it will be time to go into the Earth.

Florescent lights on 12hrs a day and a fan on them 10-20 minutes a day.

Close up.

Hot Peppers looking good too

More Hot Peppers

More Hot Peppers. Notice how much better looking the ones in the cups are. They were started 2 weeks later then these. I will put these in cups today.

Collards and Bell Peppers.

Cauliflower, Eggplant and Bell peppers. The Eggplant has been my challenge for years. Looks great now but for some reason hates the soil outside.

I will grab a couple outside pics today.

Old 04-24-2016, 07:45 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
I just made a pot of collards! Your plants look so healthy. I can't imagine how many tomatoes you'll be harvesting.
How many years have you been gardening at that location? You seem to have it down to a T.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I just made a pot of collards! Your plants look so healthy. I can't imagine how many tomatoes you'll be harvesting.
How many years have you been gardening at that location? You seem to have it down to a T.
Thanks! At this location, 9. Previous location, 4. Growing up with a Grandfather who had 1/4 acre dedicated to garden space was priceless. Learned to love it and listen to his advice.

500 tomato plants he had and pretty much every vegetable known. He owned a Dry Cleaner in New Rochelle and was in his garden every evening and all day on weekends.

Old 04-25-2016, 04:42 AM

Not liking the look of the potential pattern for the start of May here.

Cool, Cloudy, and Rainy.

May is such a crucial month for weather to be warm and sunny for the garden. They need that good start!

Old 04-25-2016, 07:42 AM

For those wondering .......

I haven't even started hardening off my plants yet this year. Based on the long range models recently my patience will pay off.

Last year I had started hardening off early and May pretty much ended as Top 10 warmest Mays on record region wide. It was great for the garden after the late start to Spring, then add the long lasting snowpack it kept the soil moist....and warm. May last year was great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
May 8, 2015
1-2 Weeks Early thanks to the early summer pattern. In fact we only had 1 month of Spring here. Winter ended late and now summer beginning early with 70s and 80s last 10 days..

Everything has been hardened off for a week now. No sun scold or damage so here we go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
May 30, 2015.

This Month.. Summary... DRY & WARM!

This year... we need patience. I am eyeing Mid May still. Which is usually the safest time to do so anyway. No early planting this year for me.

Old 04-27-2016, 04:24 PM

Status quo. No warm pattern in sight. Be patient.

Only things I am waiting with.

Tomatoes
Peppers
Cucumbers
Eggplants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut