Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2019, 05:31 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,984,771 times

Advertisements

Sweet Pepper Bush is blooming! Didn't see any in bloom on the power lines yesterday, mine must like my soil. Smells so good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2019, 02:03 PM

4,460 posts, read 3,356,276 times
Click image for larger version

Name:	GrowFood.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	213150

Old 08-03-2019, 05:41 AM

83,540 posts, read 75,390,209 times
The end of the CT Growing season is about 1 month away. Things start dwindling down in September.

I remember one year I had Tomatoes growing October. We'll see. Lately we're having a lot of frosts in October but you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK736 View Post
OK, not sure what was going on yesterday, but here are the pics of what I have harvested so far! We have two strawberry plants on the deck and eat them as they come in, which explains why there's only a few in the pic. The jalapenos are amazing! Threw some on the grill and made jalapeno poppers the other night
Worked! Nice peppers! You pick them green? I like a little color on mine so I leave them on the plant longer.

Old 08-03-2019, 05:47 AM

Always fun to see the transformation of the Compost pile. From pure leaves in November to Rich Black Gold in Summer. (Grass clippings, Aged Horse Manure, and Kitchen Scrap in there as well). Turned it 3 times this yr.

I'll be spreading this in the garden beds and the lawn next month before the leaves fall. Free soil!

Old 08-03-2019, 05:51 AM

Yesterdays Harvest.

Old 08-03-2019, 07:09 AM

1,329 posts, read 2,631,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Always fun to see the transformation of the Compost pile. From pure leaves in November to Rich Black Gold in Summer. (Grass clippings, Aged Horse Manure, and Kitchen Scrap in there as well). Turned it 3 times this yr.

I'll be spreading this in the garden beds and the lawn next month before the leaves fall. Free soil!
Looks good! How do you cover/contain it in winter? Have any animals tried to get in?

Old 08-03-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico7 View Post
Looks good! How do you cover/contain it in winter? Have any animals tried to get in?
No animals In winter because its just leaves and I dont throw kitchen scraps in it so I don't cover it. the microbes and worms arent active in winter so nothing is really happening with it. Havent noticed mice but rather there than my house.

Its nice when there is a thick snowpack on it. Keeps it moist and semi warm so when spring comes around it has a jump start.

The key is the heat inside. Smaller pile will take longer to breakdown. I seen some guys use black garbage bags but without air, it starts stinking bad. Thats why I keep mine uncoveres. Needs air

Old 08-03-2019, 10:58 AM

I said no animals "in winter". In warm seasons I do have chipmonks trying to get to the watermelon scrap. They love watermelon. And in the past raccoon and skunks because I left some exposed. I usually dig the scraps in and cover but Once I left whole eggs on top and I saw a fox grab them and run off. Lol.

Key is to mask the scent and you can do that by burying them into the pile.

Old 08-03-2019, 11:09 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
I said no animals "in winter". In warm seasons I do have chipmonks trying to get to the watermelon scrap. They love watermelon. And in the past raccoon and skunks because I left some exposed. I usually dig the scraps in and cover but Once I left whole eggs on top and I saw a fox grab them and run off. Lol.

Key is to mask the scent and you can do that by burying them into the pile.
For a while I used an old plastic trash can for my compost. Cut holes in it down near the bottom. Could cover it if I wanted to. It's because I didn't have much room and the guy in the next yard was such a slob that skunks used to come to his porch. But I still got nice compost.

I have no idea why I still make compost, living in an apartment. I can't even have a garden except a 2' X 2" patch of flowers. Do you think the compost would be good for house plants? It seems such a waste because I always saved the compost for vegetables so they could be organic. (I need to learn how to grow house plants and maybe even get into hydroponics.)

Old 08-04-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Do you think the compost would be good for house plants?

Compost is great for anything IMO. Lawns love it too. I would do 50-50 (compost/regular potting soil) just in case the compost is too rich for the plant. I don't see why it would be bad. You might not need to fertilize all yr.

I never deal with flowers so I'm not keen on their needs. If you can't eat it, I don't grow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut