Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2019, 12:28 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
A developer is proposing a $40 million floating development along the Connecticut River. I doubt the city will allow such a massive proposal along Riverfront Park but still, you never know. Jay

https://www.hartfordbusiness.com/art...er-in-hartford
That’s awesome. The cities in CT really need to be careful with denying developments like this that could be a stimulant for the local economy. No CT city can afford to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2019, 01:30 PM

34,915 posts, read 56,893,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That’s awesome. The cities in CT really need to be careful with denying developments like this that could be a stimulant for the local economy. No CT city can afford to.
Basically they are proposing to build development in a park. I’m not sure that’s a good idea. The long term impact and damage may not be worth it. I can see something like this downtown but not north of the Bulkeley Bridge (I-84). This is a developing proposal so will see. Jay.

Old 12-05-2019, 04:57 PM

CVS CEO Larry Merlo restated their commitment to Hartford and hinted at possible expansion here in this interview with The Hartford Courant, one year after it acquired Aetna. Aetna is key to the corporations plans to change medical care in our country. Great news particularly if it chooses to expand. Jay

https://www.courant.com/business/hc-...nky-story.html

Old 12-06-2019, 06:49 AM

6,876 posts, read 3,726,277 times
Quote:
CVS CEO Larry Merlo restated their commitment to Hartford and hinted at possible expansion here in this interview with The Hartford Courant, one year after it acquired Aetna. Aetna is key to the corporations plans to change medical care in our country. Great news particularly if it chooses to expand. Jay

Courant business articles are superb.

Thanks for the great news Jay.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:44 AM

5 posts, read 2,971 times
Thanks guys for showing us information. We can be careful next time

Old 12-08-2019, 11:29 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Quote:

Did you read the article though?

"CVS agreed to keep Aetna’s headquarters in Hartford for at least 10 years and maintain the health insurer’s workforce for at least four years as part of its approval for the $69 billion acquisition. The deal closed in November, 2018."

At least four years... Right. So that's now three, how many layoffs are expected.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Did you read the article though?

"CVS agreed to keep Aetna’s headquarters in Hartford for at least 10 years and maintain the health insurer’s workforce for at least four years as part of its approval for the $69 billion acquisition. The deal closed in November, 2018."

At least four years... Right. So that's now three, how many layoffs are expected.
Yes, did you? What you quote is part of the merger agreement from a year ago. Once again, it means nothing. This is what Mr. Merlo is saying today:

“I’ll underscore the point that we made a year ago that keeping Aetna’s headquarters in Hartford as a center of excellence for our insurance business,” Larry J. Merlo, CVS chief executive said, in an interview with The Courant. “Importantly, we are continuing that terrific work that the Aetna Foundation has done in terms of continuing to honor civic contributions.”

“Merlo said it is possible Hartford could benefit from the transfer of other CVS businesses to the city. “I would not rule that out as we go forward,” Merlo said. “That’s something we’re continuing to look at as we evaluate our future needs.”

Pretty positive comments that he did not need to make. Kind of says a lot. Jay

Old 12-09-2019, 07:45 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
Quote:
Yes, did you? What you quote is part of the merger agreement from a year ago. Once again, it means nothing. This is what Mr. Merlo is saying today:

“I’ll underscore the point that we made a year ago that keeping Aetna’s headquarters in Hartford as a center of excellence for our insurance business,” Larry J. Merlo, CVS chief executive said, in an interview with The Courant. “Importantly, we are continuing that terrific work that the Aetna Foundation has done in terms of continuing to honor civic contributions.”

“Merlo said it is possible Hartford could benefit from the transfer of other CVS businesses to the city. “I would not rule that out as we go forward,” Merlo said. “That’s something we’re continuing to look at as we evaluate our future needs.”

Pretty positive comments that he did not need to make. Kind of says a lot. Jay
I quoted the link that was posted and it doesn't say that it came from a year ago. Moreover the fact that it states that the incorporation and staffing are at different levels and time frames is telling.

Just because you have an incorporation doesn't mean there's staffing. Heck you can register hundreds of thousands of companies at one mailbox in Delaware. They'll still cut checks to non profits and civic groups across the state and Hartford but that doesn't really mean they'll keep the employment levels. Unless there was some tax agreement with financing doesn't mean they legally have to keep a fixed number of jobs there.

https://www.businessinsider.com/buil...oration-2017-4

Old 12-09-2019, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
I quoted the link that was posted and it doesn't say that it came from a year ago. Moreover the fact that it states that the incorporation and staffing are at different levels and time frames is telling.

Just because you have an incorporation doesn't mean there's staffing. Heck you can register hundreds of thousands of companies at one mailbox in Delaware. They'll still cut checks to non profits and civic groups across the state and Hartford but that doesn't really mean they'll keep the employment levels. Unless there was some tax agreement with financing doesn't mean they legally have to keep a fixed number of jobs there.

https://www.businessinsider.com/buil...oration-2017-4
I think you misunderstood what you read then. The quotes I gave were from an interview Mr. Merlo on the one year anniversary of the merger. If you read carefully you’ll see that the references to staffing and headquarter location are from what Aetna indicated at the time of the merger. I’m not sure what Delaware and where companies are incorporated have to with the discussion. A lot of companies are incorporated in Delaware but their headquarters and key offices are in other states. It means little.

As for what will happen in the future, I simply will point to The Travelers. It’s headquarters moved when it merged with St. Paul Insurance. It’s headquarters are now in New York but it still has thousands of employees in Hartford and is a key contributor to many civic and charitable organizations here. Jay

Old 12-22-2019, 08:18 PM

There’s a great summary in today’s Hartford Courant about development in Hartford over the past 10 years that has changed the city. It talks about things like Dunkin Donuts Park, Dillon Stadium, Front Street with Infinity Hall, UConn’s new Hartford campus and the 1,400 apartments built downtown. Nice, Jay

https://www.courant.com/news/connect...oli-story.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut