Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 03:41 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,948,073 times

Advertisements

"The Ice Storm." I tend to think that most people don't think of CT as a hot bed of wife swapping, even during the 70s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 03:44 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,191,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Well I guess we will just vehemently agree to vehemently disagree. This has nothing to do with "Scapegoating". Ask anyone with knowledge of the history of transportation in this state and they will agree a lot of very shortsighted decisions were made back in the 70's that affect this state to this day. This is fact.

From the 30's with the construction of the Merritt Parkway to the 60's with the construction of the interstate highway network, Connecticut had a very vibrant progressive transportation program. That all ended in the 70's. You are right that O'Neill should have done something before Mainus happened (would'a, should'a, could'a) but until that bridge collapsed there was no reason the average person or politician for that matter would have thought there was the level of infrastructure neglect going on in this state. O'Neill and the state legislature enacted an emergency bridge inspection program and quickly funded a lot of bridge rehab work but it was too late for the victims of the collapse.

For an unknown reason you appear to be just in denial not realizing or accepting this. And this has nothing to do with Fairfield County or Greenwich which just make no sense. Every decision made on transportation has a long term effect. Build a highway here and the impacts will be felt for generations. Not building a highway or maintaining a bridge also has an effect.

Also I am not sure what she was "holding together". The state had issues at that time but they were not horrible. She was just a cheap Connecticut Yankee refusing to accept that the world was changing and she did nothing to prepare for that change. That does not make her a "Capable Caregiver" in my book. Jay
Sigh. And George Washington made decisions that affect the country to this day. Seriously, if transportation and infrastructure is that badly off, it's silly to think that something couldn't be done about it in these many decades. Blaming Grasso doesn't seem to be a successful strategy. And I said "caretaker", not caregiver.

But, speaking of the Mianus River collapse, does anyone know if the story about the truck driver and the Beemer driver is urban legend or fact? The story goes that a commercial truck driver had heard of the collapse via CB radio and pulled over to the side of 95 before the bridge. A BMW came zipping along and the truck driver frantically tried to signal the driver to stop and pull over. The driver of the Beemer gave him the finger and kept on going, off the bridge. Fact or fiction? I was out of the state when it happened, but that's one of the stories about it from back in the day.

Old 07-29-2015, 03:57 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,191,174 times
Anyway, some positive media that Connecticut got was for the participation of its shore towns and cities in the cleanup of Long Island Sound. I thought that was pretty good.

Kelo vs City of New London, not so much.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:50 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,232,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
"The Ice Storm." I tend to think that most people don't think of CT as a hot bed of wife swapping, even during the 70s.
I hope not! Lol. I worked in New Canaan when that movie was filmed. It was kind of cool. We went down one Saturday to watch filming outside the NC pharmacy. I was spit at by a llama right there on that street (some idiot who lived in NC at the time had "pet" llamas. He'd walk them around downtown on leashes as if they were dogs. )

Old 07-29-2015, 06:55 PM

814 posts, read 911,893 times
Being from that region I never understood the city obsession. I'm 44 now and I been to NYC, Baltimore, DC, Frankfurt, Richmond, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, and even Charlotte NC and Columbia SC. Most of these places is because I know people who live there so we visit, I now call Virginia home so DC, Baltimore, and Richmond are within 2.4 hours or less of where I live, and of course Frankfurt Germany was via the US Army.

Anyways there is no better place then country living, you can keep all those cities, I'm grateful for the experience and do enjoy zoo visits with my grandson to the National Zoo in DC, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Most people outside of New York or Connecticut have no idea how beautiful those states are. Tourists think Manhattan, New York and Fair Field County Connecticut revolve around the Rotten Apple, for you youngens it was once referred to as the Big Apple.

Each his own but in my opinion you can have the taxis, stress, filth, rudeness, crime, high cost of living, and everything else associated with big city living.

Give me the small rural towns where pumpkin pickin and Friday night football makes you a member of a community, not some nameless soul lost in some huge metro where no one even cares.

Hank Williams Junior said it best, " You can send me to hell or New York City cause it would be about the same to me."

Old 07-29-2015, 08:07 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,614,661 times
Well that's just like your opinion man.

Personally I think it's rather sad someone would base a living choice off some desire to be known by every person in a small town. In the end you'll be just as dead as every city slicker and not a person in that hick town is going to care.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:56 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,209,783 times
Why do CT residents care what NYers say? Typical sarcastic NYer calls "Jersey the sticks" or calls Westchester "Upstate." CT doesn't even register. Might as well be in another country.

Typical behavior of large city residents demeaning non-city "hicks."

Just like in Paris. You can be a Bohemian Parisian -- you still hold someone who lives just 10 km outside of Paris as "provincial", regardless how rich they are. They are still rendered beneath a true Parisian.

I was born and raised in Queens / Brooklyn, and when we said "City" we meant specifically Manhattan, not Brooklyn or Queens.

When I went to my uncles in CT for the summer, it was really as if I went to another planet. You wouldn't believe the attitude and questions my NY friends and family had towards those family members who moved "away."

Old 07-29-2015, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Being from that region I never understood the city obsession. I'm 44 now and I been to NYC, Baltimore, DC, Frankfurt, Richmond, Jacksonville, Orlando, Tampa, and even Charlotte NC and Columbia SC. Most of these places is because I know people who live there so we visit, I now call Virginia home so DC, Baltimore, and Richmond are within 2.4 hours or less of where I live, and of course Frankfurt Germany was via the US Army.

Anyways there is no better place then country living, you can keep all those cities, I'm grateful for the experience and do enjoy zoo visits with my grandson to the National Zoo in DC, but I wouldn't want to live there.

Most people outside of New York or Connecticut have no idea how beautiful those states are. Tourists think Manhattan, New York and Fair Field County Connecticut revolve around the Rotten Apple, for you youngens it was once referred to as the Big Apple.

Each his own but in my opinion you can have the taxis, stress, filth, rudeness, crime, high cost of living, and everything else associated with big city living.

Give me the small rural towns where pumpkin pickin and Friday night football makes you a member of a community, not some nameless soul lost in some huge metro where no one even cares.

Hank Williams Junior said it best, " You can send me to hell or New York City cause it would be about the same to me."
Then why does Big & Rich idolize NY? Why is every country song about NY-to-LA? I don't know Junior, although I wouldn't trade him for a pet monkey.

Willie Nelson loves NY Willie Nelson in Brooklyn, NY - Aug 12, 2015 6:00 PM | Eventful.

Country loves NY. You are a country boy from Westchester, you don't get the city.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:06 PM

814 posts, read 911,893 times
The newer generations tend to glamourize a lot of places that back in my day you wouldn't even think about going, too much crime back then, the crack epidemic made parts of NYC look like how Detroit is now or Camden New Jersey, 3rd world countries right in our own United States.

As I said earlier each to his own and what I like does not mean you have to like it as well. Cities are like puppies, fun to play with as long as you can give them back to their rightful owners at the end of the day.

My military career has taken me a few places and I'm grateful to have seen parts of the world I may not have otherwise. But at the end of my day give me the fire flies and crickets, my farmers market on main street, pumpkin picking and cider at the apple orchard.

I live in a town where a country cookin is right next to a tractor supply company, lol.

Old 07-29-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
The newer generations tend to glamourize a lot of places that back in my day you wouldn't even think about going, too much crime back then, the crack epidemic made parts of NYC look like how Detroit is now or Camden New Jersey, 3rd world countries right in our own United States.

As I said earlier each to his own and what I like does not mean you have to like it as well. Cities are like puppies, fun to play with as long as you can give them back to their rightful owners at the end of the day.

My military career has taken me a few places and I'm grateful to have seen parts of the world I may not have otherwise. But at the end of my day give me the fire flies and crickets, my farmers market on main street, pumpkin picking and cider at the apple orchard.

I live in a town where a country cookin is right next to a tractor supply company, lol.
Plenty of fireflies, crickets, pumpkin picking and even coyotes in the city. You don't have to live under the lights in Times Square you know?

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/23/ny...west-side.html

Besides, I don't know if meth, so epidemic now in rural areas is any better than City drugs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut