Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 09:34 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,781,695 times

Advertisements

I agree with in_newengland.

When I lived outside of the state, the only thing I really ever heard of was FFC and all of the wealthy people that inhabited the state. That always seemed to be the focus of any news report or other media focus.

Now that I live here, it seems to be this strange dichotomy. If the focus isn't on all of the wealth that emanates from FFC (and by the way, there are many wealthy people not living in this county, despite what the general perception is), then it's on cities like Hartford that are ridden with inner city crime and gang violence.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2015, 06:39 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,191,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erjunkee View Post
I agree with in_newengland.

Now that I live here, it seems to be this strange dichotomy. If the focus isn't on all of the wealth that emanates from FFC (and by the way, there are many wealthy people not living in this county, despite what the general perception is), then it's on cities like Hartford that are ridden with inner city crime and gang violence.

No need to be confused. What you've just described is the dichotomy of the the Third World. This is not to say that Connecticut is a Third World state, as this manifestation is occurring in areas across the country. Come to think of it, it's happening in New York City!

Old 07-29-2015, 07:38 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times
Been living in CT for 28 to 30 since I was born. Most of the news I can remember is from 2000 on. Mostly news feel has been mostly on corruption or politicians doing illegal activities. Shootings every day. Serial killers and terrible murders. Terrible economy and layoffs. Increase in taxes every year on the news.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Been living in CT for 28 to 30 since I was born. Most of the news I can remember is from 2000 on. Mostly news feel has been mostly on corruption or politicians doing illegal activities. Shootings every day. Serial killers and terrible murders. Terrible economy and layoffs. Increase in taxes every year on the news.
I am sorry to hear that. Here's a little history on one of Connecticut's great governors, the magnificent Ella Grasso:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ella_T._Grasso

She may not look like much, but what a gal! And as I recall, the media was pretty tough on her. But she did a great job.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:43 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,706,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I am sorry to hear that. Here's a little history on one of Connecticut's great governors, the magnificent Ella Grasso:

She may not look like much, but what a gal! And as I recall, the media was pretty tough on her. But she did a great job.
Was a joke in high school one of my teacher's taught Mayor Santopietro, Mayor Giordano, and former Governor Rowland.

Old 07-29-2015, 10:26 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Was a joke in high school one of my teacher's taught Mayor Santopietro, Mayor Giordano, and former Governor Rowland.
Thats hilarious. My Grandmother claims to have gone to high school with Julius Rosenberg and introduced him to her friend Ethel. I hope it's true.

Old 07-29-2015, 11:01 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:

I disagree. I think Ella Grasso was a terrible Governor. She was shortsighted and cheap, plain and simple. Many of her actions and cutbacks caused many of the problems we are paying for today. The collapse of the Mianus River bridge was due to poor inspections and maintenance that began under her administration. Our incomplete highway system was because she refused to build many of the missing links like the beltway around Hartford, Route 7 from Norwalk to Danbury, Route 25 from Trumbull to Newtown and Route 11 from Salem to Waterford. Had these projects not been stopped or slowed, a lot of the congestion problems we have on our highways and roads today would likely not be there.

Did you know that Connecticut had a monorail that was built and ready to operate when she took office? It was up at Bradley Airport and was suppose to serve getting passengers from the terminal to the parking lots and eventually be extended to downtown Hartford. She cut the funding to begin operations of it so the monorail sat unused for years before the state finally had to spend money to remove it. Talk about wasting taxpayers money. Can you imagine if the state operated it and eventually extended it into downtown Hartford. It could have been the basis for a modern mass-transit system in the Capitol City. You can see one of the cars at the trolley museum up in East Windsor.

The worst thing I remember was her so called savings on highway striping. She boasted that the state could save what was really a nominal amount of money by changing the size and spacing of the paint striping on highways. This however resulting in what was in essence a solid line on the Merritt Parkway from just about end to end between the new line and the old. It was embarrassing to see this and comments were made in the New York papers about it. I am sorry, Ella Grasso did little for the state IMHO. It is too bad she got sick while in office and then died but I do not think that warrants a realistic review of her term as Governor of our state. Jay

Old 07-29-2015, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I disagree. I think Ella Grasso was a terrible Governor. She was shortsighted and cheap, plain and simple. Many of her actions and cutbacks caused many of the problems we are paying for today. The collapse of the Mianus River bridge was due to poor inspections and maintenance that began under her administration. Our incomplete highway system was because she refused to build many of the missing links like the beltway around Hartford, Route 7 from Norwalk to Danbury, Route 25 from Trumbull to Newtown and Route 11 from Salem to Waterford. Had these projects not been stopped or slowed, a lot of the congestion problems we have on our highways and roads today would likely not be there.

Did you know that Connecticut had a monorail that was built and ready to operate when she took office? It was up at Bradley Airport and was suppose to serve getting passengers from the terminal to the parking lots and eventually be extended to downtown Hartford. She cut the funding to begin operations of it so the monorail sat unused for years before the state finally had to spend money to remove it. Talk about wasting taxpayers money. Can you imagine if the state operated it and eventually extended it into downtown Hartford. It could have been the basis for a modern mass-transit system in the Capitol City. You can see one of the cars at the trolley museum up in East Windsor.

The worst thing I remember was her so called savings on highway striping. She boasted that the state could save what was really a nominal amount of money by changing the size and spacing of the paint striping on highways. This however resulting in what was in essence a solid line on the Merritt Parkway from just about end to end between the new line and the old. It was embarrassing to see this and comments were made in the New York papers about it. I am sorry, Ella Grasso did little for the state IMHO. It is too bad she got sick while in office and then died but I do not think that warrants a realistic review of her term as Governor of our state. Jay
It is a cheap shot to blame Grasso for the collapse of the Mianus River bridge, especially since it occurred a good two, almost three years after she left office. Yes, I realize O'Neill was her lieutenant, but that's on him. She's been gone, what, 35 years? And you blame her for the transportation problems of Connecticut TODAY?? You're still worried about comments on highway striping in the New York papers over 30 years ago? Guess what, we used to make fun of high tax NY when we drove over the border from Connecticut, the roads immediately went from Connecticut smooth to NY pock marked washboard. On Grasso's watch.

Re the monorail (and I am a fan of regional public transportation) yes, I can imagine if the state operated it and extended it to downtown Hartford today. Empty, unless the perception of Hartford has changed.

I think she guided Connecticut through a difficult time.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:25 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
Quote:
It is a cheap shot to blame Grasso for the collapse of the Mianus River bridge, especially since it occurred a good two, almost three years after she left office. Yes, I realize O'Neill was her lieutenant, but that's on him. She's been gone, what, 35 years? And you blame her for the transportation problems of Connecticut TODAY?? You're still worried about comments on highway striping in the New York papers over 30 years ago? Guess what, we used to make fun of high tax NY when we drove over the border from Connecticut, the roads immediately went from Connecticut smooth to NY pock marked washboard. On Grasso's watch.

Re the monorail (and I am a fan of regional public transportation) yes, I can imagine if the state operated it and extended it to downtown Hartford today. Empty, unless the perception of Hartford has changed.

I think she guided Connecticut through a difficult time.
Yes I blame her for Mianus. How can you not? She cut spending to the barebones at CTDOT which directly lead to a cut in bridge inspections. The bridge may have collapsed several years after she left office but it was because of neglect caused by her cuts that continued until a bridge fell and woke people up that we cannot ignore our infrastructure. O'Neill is equally to blame as well.

And yes I blame her transportation problems today. She canceled the I-291 beltway from I-91 in Rocky Hill to I-84 in Farmington. The project was ready for construction. Right-of-way had been bought. Plans were developed to be ready for construction and she stopped it. IF that connection was made you would have congestion relief on what is the state's busiest highway, I-84 west of downtown. Route 7 and Route 25 were both delayed by her so today there is no highway to highway connection between I-95, the Merritt Parkway and I-84 in western Fairfield County. This created a disjointed and inefficient highway network in that part of the state.

Despite what you think Hartford is the largest employment center in the state with more than 113,000 jobs. A modern mass-transit system would likely have made downtown Hartford more attractive to employers because their employees would no longer have to sit in traffic to get to their jobs. Employers like The Hartford, Aetna, Metropolitan may not have left the core of the city for easily accessible suburbs. We of course will never know what would have happened. Ella Grasso was cheap and shortsighted and we are still paying for it. Jay

Old 07-29-2015, 12:29 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,399,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yes I blame her for Mianus. How can you not? She cut spending to the barebones at CTDOT which directly lead to a cut in bridge inspections. The bridge may have collapsed several years after she left office but it was because of neglect caused by her cuts that continued until a bridge fell and woke people up that we cannot ignore our infrastructure. O'Neill is equally to blame as well.

And yes I blame her transportation problems today. She canceled the I-291 beltway from I-91 in Rocky Hill to I-84 in Farmington. The project was ready for construction. Right-of-way had been bought. Plans were developed to be ready for construction and she stopped it. IF that connection was made you would have congestion relief on what is the state's busiest highway, I-84 west of downtown. Route 7 and Route 25 were both delayed by her so today there is no highway to highway connection between I-95, the Merritt Parkway and I-84 in western Fairfield County. This created a disjointed and inefficient highway network in that part of the state.

Despite what you think Hartford is the largest employment center in the state with more than 113,000 jobs. A modern mass-transit system would likely have made downtown Hartford more attractive to employers because their employees would no longer have to sit in traffic to get to their jobs. Employers like The Hartford, Aetna, Metropolitan may not have left the core of the city for easily accessible suburbs. We of course will never know what would have happened. Ella Grasso was cheap and shortsighted and we are still paying for it. Jay
Jay for curiosity sake do u have breakdown of jobs by city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut