Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 08:51 PM

421 posts, read 423,326 times

Advertisements

Where are nice beaches around CT away from Hartford 40~50 min driving distance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 10:18 PM

12 posts, read 15,605 times
An obvious choice would be Ocean Beach in New London.

Another clear potential candidate in the same general area would be Rocky Neck State Park.

Hammonasset Beach State Park would a third option.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:21 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,379,498 times
Not even 100% sure of it's location....never been there, but my buddy and his family go to Jennings Beach.....I think it's in Fairfield

Old 09-07-2015, 07:38 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Silver Sands State Park in Milford and its free! Granted plan to go at high tide as water is super shallow at low tide but the fun part at low tide is the 'land bridge' that opens to Charles Island,

And yes, Jennings Beach is in the town of Fairfield.....kind of expensive if you dont live in the town though.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:02 AM

12 posts, read 15,605 times
While I am less familiar with beaches in that part of Connecticut, and I admittedly don't know exactly where the OP lives around Hartford which could make a difference, at least from downtown Hartford it generally takes almost the same amount of time to reach Jennings Beach from there as it does to reach Misquamicut Beach in Westerly, Rhode Island. (Around an hour and ten minutes.)

Misquamicut Beach is generally going to viewed as basically the premier big beach in the region (with more exposed ocean like conditions) while Connecticut beaches located closer to the New York City area (like Jennings Beach) are generally viewed as comparatively inferior to those further east due to issues such as more polluted waters among other things.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:10 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
I am not a huge fan of most beaches in CT or the water. However. Silver Sands beach is nice from what I hear. I enjoy Bluff Point State park or Harkness Memorial state park are my favorite ocean beaches. Haven't really explored many lakes outside of the Western part of the state, so don't know much in regards to lake beaches.

Definitely recommend those 3.

Looking for a lake near Hartford hear good thing's about Bigelow Hollow state park.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:17 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Silver Sands State Park in Milford and its free! Granted plan to go at high tide as water is super shallow at low tide but the fun part at low tide is the 'land bridge' that opens to Charles Island,
Silver Sands is a nice beach but there are no bathrooms or places to get something to eat and drink.

My husband and I went to Madison's own beach on Surf Road and we had a very nice day. I think it was $10 for the day but it as worth it. It was clean, peaceful and quiet. Madison also has Hammonasset a state beach and I like it there too. It is more lively with a lot more people from many different states.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:21 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,975,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

And yes, Jennings Beach is in the town of Fairfield.....kind of expensive if you dont live in the town though.
Silver Sands is disgusting. I've been to a lot of Connecticut beaches, but I had never been to Silver Sands, so we decided to try it last week. What an awful beach! It was much rockier and shellier than most, the sand was more like muck, garbage was everywhere, and it smelled horrible. Do NOT go to Silver Sands.

We like Seaside Park (Bridgeport), Short Beach (Stratford), Jennings Beach (Fairfield), Hammonasset Beach (Madison), and Ocean Beach (New London).

Old 09-07-2015, 08:21 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aegion View Post
While I am less familiar with beaches in that part of Connecticut, and I admittedly don't know exactly where the OP lives around Hartford which could make a difference, at least from downtown Hartford it generally takes almost the same amount of time to reach Jennings Beach from there as it does to reach Misquamicut Beach in Westerly, Rhode Island. (Around an hour and ten minutes.)

Misquamicut Beach is generally going to viewed as basically the premier big beach in the region (with more exposed ocean like conditions) while Connecticut beaches located closer to the New York City area (like Jennings Beach) are generally viewed as comparatively inferior to those further east due to issues such as more polluted waters among other things.

Jennings is a nice beach but there is no comparison to Misquamicut Beach. Even the beaches in Madison CT are better than Jennings and I bet they are closer to you.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:30 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,697,498 times
Find Hammonasset to be too crowded, but after summer and late Spring nice beach to walk around explore. There are parts where sand has a lot of crushed shells makes it hard to walk for some. Also some spots back right up to the road and near the garbage. On busy summer days packed in like sardines. The water is a murky brown with a thick mud on the bottom in some spots. Remember swimming with garbage floating by.

However, on a less busy day great walking paths. There is a beach section which thinks makes it easier for handicapped access. They have a great nature section some smaller trails that are nice to explore. The camping area is not bad, but again when less crowded.

The facilities are kept clean and a few new ones. Definitely recommend going off season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut