Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 11:48 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times

Advertisements

Property tax in NC and income tax is higher, but seems to be a lot of the houses I mentioned lower cost job's better school system than Hartford, more job's, pay is between 1% to 2% of a difference not to shabby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 12:11 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
part I, not true, part II true but incomplete picture....

taxes are a huge component of COL--especially in high COL states--and COL is definitely a factor for millennials who are now spreading their wings to begin independent lives. It therefore logically follows that taxes are an important part of the conversation.

A state with little opportunity AND high COL (+ taxes) is just a recipe for outward migration. Yes boston and especially NY are more expensive than CT, but like you said the available opportunities might outweigh the negatives for many. Boston suburbs however arent THAT much more expensive than CT, in some cases not at all, so don't expect them to "come back" when settling down in the next 5-10years.

Go check out other state forums on here. This is not a weekly conversation for them. I don't exactly see Arizona as "the land of opportunity", yet these threads don't pop up on a regular basis. They don't have the same problem we do because the young there can afford a life they are comfortable with despite not having the security of not being qualified for 10 different job postings at any given time. In this case cost is positive and opportunity is negative. In CT's case, cost is negative and opportunity is negative (barring a few industries).
I do go to other forums and people on them have complaints just like here. They may not complain about cost of living but they complain about things like low wages, traffic and poor services. It is talked about over on the Moderator's forum all the time. The difference though is that we seem to have more than our fair share of naysayers. Jay

Old 12-01-2015, 01:09 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I do go to other forums and people on them have complaints just like here. They may not complain about cost of living but they complain about things like low wages, traffic and poor services. It is talked about over on the Moderator's forum all the time. The difference though is that we seem to have more than our fair share of naysayers. Jay
So is it purely chance and therefore entirely unrelated to CT? is there something in CT water that makes it's naysayers more passionately vocal about their qualms with the state? or is there a disproportionate amount of people who are dissatisfied with the current state of CT thus manifesting itself accordingly on here?

Old 12-01-2015, 01:25 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
We'll have to disagree here. I have never heard a single millennial discuss COL when it comes to where they're going to move. None have ever considered OKC because of the low cost of living. Millennials are driven by opportunity and lifestyle.

NYC, Boston, and San Francisco are dripping with millennials. I'm headed to SFO tonight for meetings. Everyone except me and one other senior manager at the meetings as far as I know is a millennial.

I think COL comes in to the picture once careers are established.

As far as AZ, TX, etc, frankly, these kids grow up for the most part never leaving their state borders. They don't see opportunity outside where they grew up because most of them never considered it. I saw it all the time in Texas:

"Why'd the Valedictorian go to the University of Texas? Why not Harvard, Stamford, CalTech or some other top-tier school?"

"Why would s/he look out of state..."
I agree with your statement, its not until you are older and going broke you really look at the cost of living.

Old 12-01-2015, 01:36 PM

2,122 posts, read 2,422,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
I agree with your statement, its not until you are older and going broke you really look at the cost of living.
and then there were those who planned their future...

Old 12-01-2015, 01:39 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,181,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigequinox View Post
and then there were those who planned their future...
sounds like you really need to go, sell the house, take a hit if you have to, and move

Old 12-01-2015, 04:06 PM

20 posts, read 23,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
galejuniper I love that your willing to do the sacrifices and think ahead this will pay off in the future. It did for me. Also your very smart, there are some areas that are cute and more progressive than most people really want to believe. You see moving is change and change scares the pants off people. You are making a smart move. And remember vacation back in CT!
Thank you for that! I am very anxious about the move- but I think in the long run it will pay off in the future. And so true- patience and sacrifice are a lost value in our modern society- and I'm equally at blame for many of my choices in the past. Never too late to change though and approach life differently. Just glad we figured this stuff out now so we can better our family now- and hopefully teach our children to not make the same mistakes we made in our 20s. (Although let's face it- they will have to make some of their own mistakes no matter what we teach them! )

Old 12-01-2015, 06:32 PM

34,058 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galejuniper View Post
Thank you for that! I am very anxious about the move- but I think in the long run it will pay off in the future. And so true- patience and sacrifice are a lost value in our modern society- and I'm equally at blame for many of my choices in the past. Never too late to change though and approach life differently. Just glad we figured this stuff out now so we can better our family now- and hopefully teach our children to not make the same mistakes we made in our 20s. (Although let's face it- they will have to make some of their own mistakes no matter what we teach them! )

The main thing is this is a very well thought out move, so I am confident you will thrive in your new location.

Old 12-03-2015, 06:37 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Bridgeport population is up is due to cheaper rents but white population is declining and hispanic popualtion is going up akkt

Even New Haven is growing why not hartford ?

Population up in Bridgeport, Fairfield County - Connecticut Post

Old 12-03-2015, 12:24 PM

2,152 posts, read 3,398,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Bridgeport population is up is due to cheaper rents but white population is declining and hispanic popualtion is going up akkt

Even New Haven is growing why not hartford ?

Population up in Bridgeport, Fairfield County - Connecticut Post
might also be part of the pushing the poor out of stamford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut