Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 04:36 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,178,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The state had an offer from a Chinese school to buy the site for $10 million. State law though requires that the town have the right of first refusal at a reduced price. West Hartford initially jumped at the chance to buy what is one of the largest properties left in town. Jay
I agree. Town should have scooped this deal up in a heartbeat. Put up some fancy townhomes in what is the top selling town in the Hartford region by a mile, sell them at a profit and collect prop taxes on them. Some on here don't have any you know whats - No risk, no reward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 04:59 PM

2,005 posts, read 2,086,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
I agree. Town should have scooped this deal up in a heartbeat. Put up some fancy townhomes in what is the top selling town in the Hartford region by a mile, sell them at a profit and collect prop taxes on them. Some on here don't have any you know whats - No risk, no reward.
Sorry but residents shouldn't be okay with taking a risk when the state is stripping the towns of millions in funding.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Sorry but residents shouldn't be okay with taking a risk when the state is stripping the towns of millions in funding.
This is not a Bolton or Colchester. Talking about the hottest town in the state outside of FFC tenfold. Town is passing up a golden opportunity to help mitigate some of the cuts. Some developer will come along, develop it, and walk away with a huge profit. No risk - No reward.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
This is not a Bolton or Colchester. Talking about the hottest town in the state outside of FFC tenfold. Town is passing up a golden opportunity to help mitigate some of the cuts. Some developer will come along, develop it, and walk away with a huge profit. No risk - No reward.
So let a developer do that with private money, not public money. When they are prepared to cut teachers and cops and/or their salaries, $5m shouldn't be spent on this.... frankly I'm shocked people are mad about this

Old 03-01-2017, 05:19 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,333,000 times
Quote:
This is not a risk, perhaps you're not familiar with this piece of land but it is worth more than $5 million.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
This is not a risk, perhaps you're not familiar with this piece of land but it is worth more than $5 million.
So? It's like saying "buy one get one" when you don't have the money to buy one in the first place. It's still money the town has to come up with when certain budgets are being slimmed down. How can you people advocate this spending when the people who work for your town are facing serious cut backs?

I guess this is why you have amongst the highest mill rate of any suburb in the state.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:25 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,180,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
Of course it's a risk. It always is. And it's also fiscally irresponsible to spend any amount of money until each town and their elected officials can figure out what's going on re state funding. If the governor's plan doesn't go through, by all means, do it. If it does go through, it would be a slap in the face to every taxpayer to spend money on this.

This liberal spending has to stop. This is why we're in the situation we're in, guys.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:43 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,079,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
What? That land in WH will fetch well above $5m. My guess is in the $8 to $10m mark. Hartford is doing just fine with many companies wanted to get into this market. My guess is that a large corporation will buy it and build a world classs headquarters.

This might get GE looking twice because what a great opportunity.

Hartford is doing great.
GE just developed a large office building in downtown Cincinnati. And with that they added something like 1500 jobs at the new facility. Not sure they are looking to build anything new at this time. Not sure the site mentioned in WH is zoned for commercial business development. I used to live near there and I seem to recall most of the development around Trout Brook Drive and South Main is residential. I think the area around Bishops Corner and Route 44 (Albany Ave.) is where the business development in the that area is located. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I have not been around that part of WH in several years.

Old 03-01-2017, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Of course it's a risk. It always is. And it's also fiscally irresponsible to spend any amount of money until each town and their elected officials can figure out what's going on re state funding. If the governor's plan doesn't go through, by all means, do it. If it does go through, it would be a slap in the face to every taxpayer to spend money on this.

This liberal spending has to stop. This is why we're in the situation we're in, guys.
But it's such a good deal!!! Nevermind we can't hire new teachers or buy new police cars, spend money!! spend money!!!

Old 03-01-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
But it's such a good deal!!! Nevermind we can't hire new teachers or buy new police cars, spend money!! spend money!!!
I don't know about the political spending part or what the town can or can't do.
Just seems like a good deal - Profit Profit Profit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut