Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2017, 09:26 PM

143 posts, read 107,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
Erin Stewart: Looking To Be Connecticut's Third Female Governor?
Erin Stewart: Looking To Be Connecticut's Third Female Governor? - Courant Community

If this young lady runs I think I might want her instead of my first Selectman Tim Herbst. I will actually switch over to a Republican (I am unaffiliated) to vote for her in the primaries. That is something I rarely do.
She is smart and bubbly. I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t vote for her she liked by some democrats.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:39 AM

34,962 posts, read 57,037,363 times
Add long time director of the MetroHartford Alliance, Oz Griebel to the list of possible candidates. Jay

Sources: MetroHartford Alliance's Griebel to run for governor | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 12-14-2017, 11:40 AM

752 posts, read 555,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Add long time director of the MetroHartford Alliance, Oz Griebel to the list of possible candidates. Jay

Sources: MetroHartford Alliance's Griebel to run for governor | HartfordBusiness.com
Oz has run before.

I know him a bit as I've done some work with MHA-- He's extremely affable, and has strong vision. I'm not familiar enough with where he stands on a number of issues to say whether I'd support him.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:26 PM

3,595 posts, read 1,797,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBritainCT_native89 View Post
She is smart and bubbly. I don’t know why anyone wouldn’t vote for her she liked by some democrats.
She can win but she is far too moderate. CT needs someone who will take on the unions, drastically reduce the size of government, will substantially lower taxes, attract capital investment.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:33 AM

4,467 posts, read 3,363,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cttransplant85 View Post
She can win but she is far too moderate. CT needs someone who will take on the unions, drastically reduce the size of government, will substantially lower taxes, attract capital investment.
The item in bold will not work. I am an Independent Centrist. We elect the Governor. I would not go for Foley because I deemed him would be too drastic in making cuts. If the Republican party hands me another candidate like Foley they will leave me no choice but to go with the Democrat.

I hope the Republicans voting in the primary smarten up and come to the realization Independents here are CT centrists not southern centrists. There is a difference.

I like Stewart specifically because she is a moderate. And an added bonus is she is a woman. I am old enough to remember Ella Grasso* and I think she was a great Governor. She was an inspiration to young girls and teenage girls at the time and I was one of them.

* Ella Grasso was the first woman Governor elected in her own right.

Old 12-17-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
The item in bold will not work. I am an Independent Centrist. We elect the Governor. I would not go for Foley because I deemed him would be too drastic in making cuts. If the Republican party hands me another candidate like Foley they will leave me no choice but to go with the Democrat.

I hope the Republicans voting in the primary smarten up and come to the realization Independents here are CT centrists not southern centrists. There is a difference.

I like Stewart specifically because she is a moderate. And an added bonus is she is a woman. I am old enough to remember Ella Grasso* and I think she was a great Governor. She was an inspiration to young girls and teenage girls at the time and I was one of them.

* Ella Grasso was the first woman Governor elected in her own right.
I agree with you that in order for a Republican to be elected in this state they must be moderate. This state just won't elect someone that far right. Stewart could be that Republican.

I do not however agree with you that Ella Grasso was a great Governor. She was notoriously cheap and many of her poor shortsighted decisions are why we have problems we have today. She cut back the budget of CTDOT which lead to the collapse of the Mianus River bridge in the early 80's. She also canceled the I-295 beltway around Hartford. The state had already purchased the land for it and was ready to go to construction when she bowed to local opposition. Without the beltway, Hartford traffic has no way to get around downtown. She canceled the operation of a monorail at Bradley Airport. It was already built but she refused to approve funds to operate it. It sat for years unused before it was finally disassembled. The plan was for it to run between the outer parking lots and the terminal but eventually it would have been extended to downtown Hartford. Can you imagine what a monorail system would have done for Hartford. She also delayed the planning of both Route 7 and Route 25 connection to I-84 which basically doomed a true modern cohesive expressway system in Fairfield County. I could go on but you can see what I mean. Jay

Old 12-18-2017, 08:26 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,716,683 times
Be great if we had an Independent Left Centrist non political affiliated bussiness CEO run for Governor; would vote for them.

Old 12-18-2017, 09:00 AM

845 posts, read 682,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Be great if we had an Independent Left Centrist non political affiliated bussiness CEO run for Governor; would vote for them.
CEOs and businessmen, in general, make terrible politicians.

Old 12-18-2017, 10:42 AM

Interesting poll out on the 2018 Governor's race. The state appears to be divided evenly over voting for a Republican or a Democrat in the race. This kind of shows that the state blames both parties for the problems the state faces and that they are educated enough to not blindly follow one party or the other. It will be interesting to see what happens come November. Jay

Poll: CT Dems, GOP evenly matched in '18 governor's race | HartfordBusiness.com

Old 12-18-2017, 02:23 PM

265 posts, read 488,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Interesting poll out on the 2018 Governor's race. The state appears to be divided evenly over voting for a Republican or a Democrat in the race. This kind of shows that the state blames both parties for the problems the state faces and that they are educated enough to not blindly follow one party or the other. It will be interesting to see what happens come November. Jay

Poll: CT Dems, GOP evenly matched in '18 governor's race | HartfordBusiness.com
Perhaps a well-qualified independent would have a fighting chance at the position, if a split suggests both parties are to blame for the state's problems?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut