Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 12:28 PM

409 posts, read 1,749,503 times

Advertisements

I will certainly consider it carefully before choosing. We are spending a day or so there next week as well as Stamford. Is the beach in Milford seaside? I would love to be near the ocean. You make a good point. That is the thing...living in Milford would make more sense if working in Stratford. I am just not seeing any job openings in my field in Stamford...which is unfortunate because I would hate to visit and fall in love with the town if I can't make a living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 12:40 PM

490 posts, read 1,789,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sevdie View Post
I will certainly consider it carefully before choosing. We are spending a day or so there next week as well as Stamford. Is the beach in Milford seaside? I would love to be near the ocean. You make a good point. That is the thing...living in Milford would make more sense if working in Stratford. I am just not seeing any job openings in my field in Stamford...which is unfortunate because I would hate to visit and fall in love with the town if I can't make a living there.
________
I hear the beach in Milford is nice but is not open ocean.
Milford Beaches | CozyBeach.com
Don't worry too much if you don't get to live in Stamford. If you are renting and things improve, is just a pack and go. Not having children makes you very mobile!
Enjoy your visit to CT!!

PS: Both RI and NJ have open ocean beaches...just a couple of hours away.

Old 03-20-2008, 01:14 PM

Thank you so much for all of your information. I really do appreciate it. I will visit the link now...

Old 03-20-2008, 01:51 PM

10,085 posts, read 14,474,214 times
Quote:
Sevdie, I hope you enjoy your trip to Stamford! I am unsure where you are coming from, but the thing about Stamford that I was impressed with is how clean the city is! Plus, the area that you are going to is like a movie set--it's hard to describe. You'll soon see, though. If you are willing to compromise on space, you can probably find what you are looking for here in Stamford. I also forgot how much you are looking to spend in terms of rent/purchase? I think I remember you telling me, and I thought it could be doable. Anyway, enjoy the trip and feel free to "pvt message" me for any more information.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:24 PM

Default Thanks

Unfortunately, the only thing we have work experience in right now is call center work. We both have job interviews to work in call centers in stratford which is a short commute (15-20 mionutes) from Milford. I didn't see any job listings for anyting like that in Stamford though. So unless my husband lands an acting gig in NYC, I don't see the commute being worth the time or expense unless itis less than 30 minutes each way. I'm a little bummed out about it because I really think I am going to like Stamford when e get there next week. I guess it will happen if it is supposed to.

I like your description of Stamford. LOL if any one has any additional pics of Stamford or Milford I would be most appreciative.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:36 PM

10,085 posts, read 14,474,214 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, the only thing we have work experience in right now is call center work. We both have job interviews to work in call centers in stratford which is a short commute (15-20 mionutes) from Milford. I didn't see any job listings for anyting like that in Stamford though. So unless my husband lands an acting gig in NYC, I don't see the commute being worth the time or expense unless itis less than 30 minutes each way. I'm a little bummed out about it because I really think I am going to like Stamford when e get there next week. I guess it will happen if it is supposed to.

I like your description of Stamford. LOL if any one has any additional pics of Stamford or Milford I would be most appreciative.
honestly, the commute from Stamford to Stratford would not be terrible. You could also take the train to Stratford. But, think about this, and if you have time, you should do it: Bridgeport "city" is mostly unappealing overall--burnt-out houses, vacant lots, higher crime, high taxes, bad neighborhoods, and not-so-good schools. HOWEVER, with that being said, Bridgeport has a couple of wonderful gem neighborhoods. You should look at the North End/Brooklawn in Bridgeport and also Black Rock. Black Rock is right by the water and feels like a resort getaway--like a cool, laid back seaside resort! Cool spot. The North End/Brooklawn has old, pretty and well-maintained homes that are surrounded by well-landscaped city streets and mature trees. The rents in both of these 'hoods are well below Stamford. In Bridgeport you may find a large 2 bedroom for $1000, whereas in Stamford, the same one would run you $1800. Consider checking it out! Feel free to "pvt msg" me for more info. Take care!

Old 03-20-2008, 02:40 PM

490 posts, read 1,789,167 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, the only thing we have work experience in right now is call center work. We both have job interviews to work in call centers in stratford which is a short commute (15-20 mionutes) from Milford. I didn't see any job listings for anyting like that in Stamford though.
________
You should check into the possibility of temping as well. There is plenty of temporary office work in Stamford. It pays well and sometimes leads to a permanent job. Good computer skills a must! Of course, it would help if one of you has a perm job for when the other is not working.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:48 PM

Yes, I looked in to temp jobs looking for call center work. I didn't think anyone would hire me for office work, but I will certainly look into it. Thanks guys.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:54 PM

5 posts, read 16,407 times
I lived in Stamford for 10 yrs and miss it tremendously. I also had a dog and if you want to purchase a two bedroom, cozy co-op that ranges in the $220K-$270K range you might want to check out Sylvan Knoll located off exit 9 on I-95. Its a great family community and almost everyone has a dog. Stay away from the Southend and some areas on the Westside. I worked in the real estate market there and can give you great advice on the areas.

Good luck to you. And yes, Stamford isn't very attractive this time of year. The dirty snow look is still prevalent.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:54 AM

Thank you so much. I will keep all of that in mind. The housing options sound great, now my only concern is finding a job in or closer to the town if I end up liking it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut