Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2018, 10:26 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
The most rainfall in 1 day for Hartford was 7.70" which happened August 19, 1955. And it's because the earth was warming so much back then that we never saw that extreme again since. I can't believe what people don't grasp, they simply look at the gloom and doom headlines and always have to use an excuse for an event. It's sad really. Instead of learning why it happened or accepting the fact that its always been happening they have to pin point it to a global trend.

And since NYC records go back to late 1800s.. The most precip that fell in 1 day there was 8.28" in September 1882. Guess we been cooling since because they haven't gotten more than 8" in one day. lol

2 day record is 11.63" in 1903. Imagine if we beat that now? We're doomed
It's more about frequency of events vs. the past and whether a past event in a 2018 atmosphere would be more, I'll leave it at that

Old 04-27-2018, 11:39 AM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
It's more about frequency of events vs. the past and whether a past event in a 2018 atmosphere would be more, I'll leave it at that
And yet each "single" event is being tied to it.

Old 04-27-2018, 11:53 AM

987 posts, read 600,471 times
Cambium, you can't use one example of a rain record in one station to counter the decades of warming the globe has seen.

I hope you understand the difference in magnitude of these events...

Old 04-27-2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudFairfielder View Post
Cambium, you can't use one example of a rain record in one station to counter the decades of warming the globe has seen.

I hope you understand the difference in magnitude of these events...
Haha. Thats my point. Its like a never ending circle. Do you realize people are using 1 event now a days and tieing to it? Do you guys realize the mechanisms involved? I think once you start realizing that then you'll stop with the blames.

Do you realize decades of warming hasnt increased rainfall in some areas? Like Boston.
Do you realize we had increased precip periods when the global trend was down?
I cant..Im getting too old for this. Just such nonsense being thrown around out there and mostly because its all about following the money.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:52 PM

830 posts, read 684,916 times
In my opinion, the global warming "issue" is mostly the result of both a discriminate and indiscriminate extreme simplification of many interdisciplinary fields of science for the purpose of public consumption and persuasion. As a chemist, I can only begin to understand the complexity of Earth's ecosystem. One of the greatest scientific misconceptions is the simplification of applying the same set of variables to a physical system at different points in time. What's usually left unconsidered is how the physical system changes over time, because it is absolutely not (whether drastically or slightly) the same physical system now than during moments in the past.

Given that, complex physical systems are arguably (partially) describable through dynamical systems theory. In terms of "global warming," what's not typically considered is the breadth of influencing factors that contribute to the description of Earth's surface environment. Rising carbon dioxide levels, among other gases, are somewhere part of the physical system's description, but the main source of energy that contributes to the Earth's atmosphere, and therefore the environmental conditions at the surface over various ranges of time and space, are much more important factor. I'm talking about the Sun. In fact, one study suggests "the Sun provides a total energy to Earth that is more than 2,600 times larger than the sum of all other external sources."(1) "71% of incident solar radiation is deposited into the earth system."(1) Remember, though, that these figures are only valid at this point in time, and are capable of changing depending on changes that occur within the physical system. Regardless, it would seem significant to Earth's energy absorption, and therefore its surface/atmospheric environmental conditions, over time how the Sun's energy output varies itself. So a discussion of how Earth has changed, whether over short or long periods of time, must at least contain a highly thorough understanding of the Sun's short and long term changes in energy output.

Solar cycles are clearly important at this point in the discussion. One study begins to show how planetary bodies in the Solar System respond to the Sun's solar cycle. It was calculated that the outermost layer of the atmospheres of Mars and Venus have a temperature range of 300-600K and 450-850K, respectively.(2) This indicates variations in solar cycles likely impact Earth, but how this impacts the temperature of Earth's exosphere is much easier to discuss than how it impacts the band of thunderstorms over New York.

My point is that most people are required by their brain to oversimplify complex systems, whether it's the human body or Earth, so they don't have to worry about not understanding something. (I think most may agree) Big issues begin when people who are ignorant start making political and societal decisions based on false information that arises from oversimplification or a lack of investigation.

1) https://www.swsc-journal.org/article...wsc160018.html
2) https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17809518

Old 04-27-2018, 01:16 PM

April so far is the coldest April since 1975! 4th Coldest April on record for BDR.

Its the most below normal month since March 2015! 9% below normal for April 2018.

I'll have a wider graph going back more years once April is done but check it out..

Can't believe March ended up normal after it was mostly a cold month.

4 of the last 6 months have been below normal.

Old 04-27-2018, 03:47 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
March was NOT normal, says my shivering self and confirmed by my heating bill!

As a matter of fact, I think my heat has been off since Saturday or Sunday, certainly the longest period of time since fall. I usually turn it off for good in March.

Old 04-27-2018, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
March was NOT normal, says my shivering self and confirmed by my heating bill!

As a matter of fact, I think my heat has been off since Saturday or Sunday, certainly the longest period of time since fall. I usually turn it off for good in March.

Yeah, the deception of averages. Hate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Native View Post
I'm talking about the Sun.

Solar cycles are clearly important at this point in the discussion.
Yup.. Love the talk about the sun. People just want a simple answer and to blame something then the push a gloom and doom scenario down our throats. Every 30 yrs we go through this.

Did you see this paper from 2008? Good stuff.

"Temperature data (black dotted line) versus 7Be at 56°N (green line) and 68°N (blue line). A relative increase in average temperature in the period 1989–1992 (gray band) is associated with an absence of intrusions in the 7Be record and a positive NAO"

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley....9/2008GL035189

https://twitter.com/hockeyschtick1/s...25474946400256

Old 04-27-2018, 05:57 PM

A warmer world is better for us.. A cooling world is where we starve more and come across worse situations.. That blank sun should be our new concern.

https://co2coalition.org/2017/04/10/...oming-decades/

Right on cue for the 30yr scare tactic.. Sun going silent. Maybe by 2027 we'll start hearing about the opposite of Global Warming being bad for us. Poor Al Gore who started it in the late 1990s

https://solarscience.msfc.nasa.gov/predict.shtml

Old 04-27-2018, 06:24 PM

845 posts, read 680,855 times
Don't worry, there's no cool down coming. The sun has an effect on our weather and our climate, but it's pretty minimal. Solar irradiance over the course of about 4000 years is indeed trending upwards, but the most recent cycle has shown a dramatic downturn, with no corresponding downturn in temperatures:

There's a marked decrease in solar irradiance since the 1980s. Yet at the same time, global warming has been accelerating rapidly since the 1980s. If the sun's energy output is going down and temperature keeps rising, then it invalidates the theory that the sun is the main driver of climate change.

It's pretty obvious to tell, with the rise of extreme weather both here and around the world, that someone is going on with the climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut