Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How important are NYC/Boston for you?
I'm obsessed! I'm there like every weekend! 6 11.11%
I go often, maybe once a month or every few months 20 37.04%
Once in a while I'll go, but don't really care much for them 9 16.67%
Practically never. I could care less about them. 19 35.19%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2017, 01:32 PM

1,853 posts, read 1,955,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Yep. And to the onion. Lots of people on the East Coast move to the Big city of Boston.
I love the Onion. Particularly this article (bolded emphasis mine):

8.4 Million New Yorkers Suddenly Realize New York City A Horrible Place To Live - The Onion - America's Finest News Source

'We're Getting The Hell Out Of This Sewer,' Entire Populace Reports

NEW YORK—At 4:32 p.m. Tuesday, every single resident of New York City decided to evacuate the famed metropolis, having realized it was nothing more than a massive, trash-ridden hellhole that slowly sucks the life out of every one of its inhabitants.

With audible murmurs of "This is no way to live," "What the hell am I doing here—I hate it here," and "**** this place. **** this horrible place," all 8.4 million citizens in each of the five boroughs packed up their belongings and told reporters they would rather blow their brains out with a shotgun than spend another waking moment in this festering cesspool of filth and scum and sadness.

By 5:15 p.m. there was gridlock traffic on the outbound sides of the Holland and Lincoln tunnels, and the area's three major airports were flooded with New Yorkers, all of whom said they wanted to go anyplace where the pressure of 20 million tons of concrete wasn't constantly suffocating them.

"I always had this perverted sense of pride because I was managing to scrape by here," said Brooklyn resident Andrew McQuade, who, after watching two subway rats gnawing on a third bloody rat carcass, finally determined that New York City was a giant sprawling cancer. "Well, **** that. I don't need to pay $2,000 a month to share a doghouse-sized apartment with some random Craigslist dip**** to prove my worth. I want to live like a goddamn human being."

"You see this?" added McQuade, pointing at a real estate listing for a duplex in Hagerstown, MD. "Two bedrooms, two baths, a den—a ****ing den—and a patio. Twelve hundred a month. That's total, not per person."

According to residents, the mass exodus was triggered by a number of normal, everyday New York City events. For Erin Caldwell of Manhattan, an endlessly honking car horn sent her over the edge, causing her to go into a blind rage and scream "shut up!" at the vehicle as loud as she could until her voice went hoarse; for Danny Tremba of Queens it was being cursed at for walking too slow; and for Paul Ogden, also of Queens, it was his overreaction to somebody walking too slow.

Other incidents that prompted citizens to pick up and leave included the sight of garbage bags stacked 5 feet high on the sidewalk; the realization that being alone among millions of anonymous people is actually quite horrifying; a blaring siren that droned on and ****ing on; muddy, refuse-filled puddles that have inexplicably not dried in three years; the thought of growing into a person whose meanness and cynicism is cloaked in a kind of holier-than-thou brand of sarcasm that the rest of the world finds nauseating; and all the goddamn people.

In addition, 3 million New Yorkers reportedly left the city because they realized the phrase "Only in New York" is actually just a defense mechanism used to convince themselves that seeing a naked man take a **** on a park bench is somehow endearing, or part of some shared cultural experience.

"I was sitting on my stoop, drinking coffee, and out of nowhere this crazy-looking woman just starts screaming, 'I am inside all of you,' over and over," Bronx resident Sarah Perez, 37, said. "Then, we both had this moment where we looked at each other and realized, okay, we have to get out of here."

"This place sucks," Manhattan resident Woody Allen, 74, told reporters. "It just ****ing sucks."

When fleeing New Yorkers were asked if they would miss the city's iconic landmarks, most responded that Central Park is just a pathetic excuse for experiencing actual nature, that the Brooklyn Bridge is great but it's just a ****ing bridge, that nobody goes to the Met anyway, and that living in a dingy, grime-caked apartment while exhaust fumes from an idling truck seep through your bedroom window isn't worth slightly bigger bagels.

"This is no place to raise a kid, that's for sure," said 32-year-old Brandon Rushing, a lifelong New Yorker. "I grew up here and I turned into a giant *******. Why would I want that for my son?"

"Plus, we're the place most likely to get nuked by a dirty bomb in a terrorist attack," he added. "So that's great. Also, it smells like **** here, and I'm not exaggerating. You'll just be walking around and it starts smelling like human ****, and it just fills your nostrils and you breathe in **** for like 20 seconds."

Before departing by private helicopter, Mayor Michael Bloomberg spoke with members of the media to address the situation.

"You know what the greatest city in the world is?" Bloomberg asked reporters. "Scottsdale, Arizona. It's clean, it's not too big, it's got a couple streets with shops and restaurants, and the people there aren't ****ing insane. This place is ****ing insane. And by the way, that's not a reason to like it. Anyone who says that is a delusional dirtbag."

By Tuesday night, New York was completely abandoned. At press time, however, some 10 million Los Angeles–area residents, tired of their self-centered, laid-back culture and lack of four distinct seasons, and yearning for the hustle and bustle of East Coast life, had already begun repopulating the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2017, 01:47 PM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post

8.4 Million New Yorkers Suddenly Realize New York City A Horrible Place To Live - The Onion - America's Finest News Source

NEW YORK—At 4:32 p.m. Tuesday, every single resident of New York City decided to evacuate the famed metropolis, having realized it was nothing more than a massive, trash-ridden hellhole that slowly sucks the life out of every one of its inhabitants.

With audible murmurs of "This is no way to live," "What the hell am I doing here—I hate it here," and "**** this place. **** this horrible place," all 8.4 million citizens in each of the five boroughs packed up their belongings and told reporters they would rather blow their brains out with a shotgun than spend another waking moment in this festering cesspool of filth and scum and sadness.

By 5:15 p.m. there was gridlock traffic on the outbound sides of the Holland and Lincoln tunnels, and the area's three major airports were flooded with New Yorkers, all of whom said they wanted to go anyplace where the pressure of 20 million tons of concrete wasn't constantly suffocating them.

"I always had this perverted sense of pride because I was managing to scrape by here," said Brooklyn resident Andrew McQuade, who, after watching two subway rats gnawing on a third bloody rat carcass, finally determined that New York City was a giant sprawling cancer. "Well, **** that. I don't need to pay $2,000 a month to share a doghouse-sized apartment with some random Craigslist dip**** to prove my worth. I want to live like a goddamn human being."

"You see this?" added McQuade, pointing at a real estate listing for a duplex in Hagerstown, MD. "Two bedrooms, two baths, a den—a ****ing den—and a patio. Twelve hundred a month. That's total, not per person."

According to residents, the mass exodus was triggered by a number of normal, everyday New York City events. For Erin Caldwell of Manhattan, an endlessly honking car horn sent her over the edge, causing her to go into a blind rage and scream "shut up!" at the vehicle as loud as she could until her voice went hoarse; for Danny Tremba of Queens it was being cursed at for walking too slow; and for Paul Ogden, also of Queens, it was his overreaction to somebody walking too slow.

Other incidents that prompted citizens to pick up and leave included the sight of garbage bags stacked 5 feet high on the sidewalk; the realization that being alone among millions of anonymous people is actually quite horrifying; a blaring siren that droned on and ****ing on; muddy, refuse-filled puddles that have inexplicably not dried in three years; the thought of growing into a person whose meanness and cynicism is cloaked in a kind of holier-than-thou brand of sarcasm that the rest of the world finds nauseating; and all the goddamn people.

In addition, 3 million New Yorkers reportedly left the city because they realized the phrase "Only in New York" is actually just a defense mechanism used to convince themselves that seeing a naked man take a **** on a park bench is somehow endearing, or part of some shared cultural experience.

"I was sitting on my stoop, drinking coffee, and out of nowhere this crazy-looking woman just starts screaming, 'I am inside all of you,' over and over," Bronx resident Sarah Perez, 37, said. "Then, we both had this moment where we looked at each other and realized, okay, we have to get out of here."

"This place sucks," Manhattan resident Woody Allen, 74, told reporters. "It just ****ing sucks."

When fleeing New Yorkers were asked if they would miss the city's iconic landmarks, most responded that Central Park is just a pathetic excuse for experiencing actual nature, that the Brooklyn Bridge is great but it's just a ****ing bridge, that nobody goes to the Met anyway, and that living in a dingy, grime-caked apartment while exhaust fumes from an idling truck seep through your bedroom window isn't worth slightly bigger bagels.

"This is no place to raise a kid, that's for sure," said 32-year-old Brandon Rushing, a lifelong New Yorker. "I grew up here and I turned into a giant *******. Why would I want that for my son?"

"Plus, we're the place most likely to get nuked by a dirty bomb in a terrorist attack," he added. "So that's great. Also, it smells like **** here, and I'm not exaggerating. You'll just be walking around and it starts smelling like human ****, and it just fills your nostrils and you breathe in **** for like 20 seconds."

Before departing by private helicopter, Mayor Michael Bloomberg spoke with members of the media to address the situation.

"You know what the greatest city in the world is?" Bloomberg asked reporters. "Scottsdale, Arizona. It's clean, it's not too big, it's got a couple streets with shops and restaurants, and the people there aren't ****ing insane. This place is ****ing insane. And by the way, that's not a reason to like it. Anyone who says that is a delusional dirtbag."

By Tuesday night, New York was completely abandoned. At press time, however, some 10 million Los Angeles–area residents, tired of their self-centered, laid-back culture and lack of four distinct seasons, and yearning for the hustle and bustle of East Coast life, had already begun repopulating the city.
eh, the Boston one was way funnier though

Old 09-22-2017, 03:25 PM

4,319 posts, read 4,206,586 times
Quote:

NYC has a lot of people because it offers something to a lot of people. People have been flocking to NYC for centuries, and it is net letting up. If anything, it is becoming even more in demand.

Boston is much smaller, because it offers something to a lot less people.

As I have said before, hating a place says a lot more about you than the place.

Old 09-22-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
eh, the Boston one was way funnier though
Sure the Boston one was funny. With NYC, its more or less a sad reflection of reality that many know all too well..

Old 09-22-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
NYC has a lot of people because it offers something to a lot of people. People have been flocking to NYC for centuries, and it is net letting up. If anything, it is becoming even more in demand.

Boston is much smaller, because it offers something to a lot less people.

As I have said before, hating a place says a lot more about you than the place.
No need to get defensive becuase a humor website uncovers some harsh realities. The Boston onion piece was definitely funny.

I am not denying the growth of NYC becuase it offers something to people however what does hating or disliking a place like NYC say about the person?

Old 09-22-2017, 06:55 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Sure the Boston one was funny. With NYC, its more or less a sad reflection of reality that many know all too well..
Oh give it a (long) rest. NY can be inconvenient, expensive, crowded (fill in other adjectives, but mass transit is far better) but in the end it offers so much more than Boston. El Paso and Charlotte have passed Boston in terms of population. For me personally, Boston has very few jobs in my specialization and would require a huge haircut. Thanks but no thanks. For the record, I love Boston and would far prefer to live in Boston proper over Manhattan. Boston is a great regional small city.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:38 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Oh give it a (long) rest. NY can be inconvenient, expensive, crowded (fill in other adjectives, but mass transit is far better) but in the end it offers so much more than Boston. El Paso and Charlotte have passed Boston in terms of population. For me personally, Boston has very few jobs in my specialization and would require a huge haircut. Thanks but no thanks. For the record, I love Boston and would far prefer to live in Boston proper over Manhattan. Boston is a great regional small city.
The Boston MSA is 4.7 million people. El Paso is less than 1 million. Charlotte 2.38 million. It's why the Red Sox can be the Evil Empire, Jr. They get the TV revenue from those 4.7 million cable and DirectTV subscribers.

Boston has all those nonstop flights to Asia. Small regional cities don't have that. Does El Paso have a Tokyo flight? Or a Shanghai flight?

New York is world class in just about everything. Boston has a short list of things where they're world class. I'm struggling to think of anything world class in El Paso. The MSA doesn't even come close to US median household income. It's about the same as Arkansas.

Old 09-22-2017, 09:59 PM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The Boston MSA is 4.7 million people. El Paso is less than 1 million. Charlotte 2.38 million. It's why the Red Sox can be the Evil Empire, Jr. They get the TV revenue from those 4.7 million cable and DirectTV subscribers.

Boston has all those nonstop flights to Asia. Small regional cities don't have that. Does El Paso have a Tokyo flight? Or a Shanghai flight?

New York is world class in just about everything. Boston has a short list of things where they're world class. I'm struggling to think of anything world class in El Paso. The MSA doesn't even come close to US median household income. It's about the same as Arkansas.
Where did I mention MSA? City to city and my references were population focused. Where the heck is Asia flights coming from? Same for cable TV subscribers????

Old 09-23-2017, 07:59 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Please stop the bickering and return to the topic of the OP. JayCT, Moderator

Old 09-23-2017, 09:00 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,838,334 times
Where is the OP by the way? He's usually right in the fray. No ones criticizing or admonishing him so he's lost interest I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut