Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 12:05 PM

1,837 posts, read 1,616,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
$112 round trip for one driver...
As another posted noted there is no way the toll for this proposed tunnel would be affordable to daily commuters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2018, 12:15 PM

11,311 posts, read 18,919,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDoo342 View Post
Probably... I think the best return on investment would be to put the bridge/tunnel in New Haven. That's where it's needed most...

Rye would be pointless because it's too close to the Throgs Neck. Even Bridgeport is a little too attached to the inner NYC metro for it to pump much into each local economy.
I agree with you but think if this is built at all in the next few decades, it will be the Rye one.....partially because it's cheapest and easiest, partially because it's all in one state (less government approval needed to get it implemented).

The one benefit I could see to the Bridgeport crossing is Bridgeport probably needs the most economic boost from it and given that, would be the least likely of the crossing points to reject it on NIMBY grounds, etc.

Wherever it's built, I think it's long overdue despite the possible crowding.....

Old 01-16-2018, 12:16 PM

24,565 posts, read 18,309,279 times
Old Saybrook to Orient Point would be the shortest crossing. You could also route Amtrak high speed rail in that direction. Of course, you'd then fight the northern fork NIMBY people since the road infrastructure from Orient Point to Riverhead is goat paths.

Bridgeport to Port Jeff makes the most sense. Just improve the Sunken Meadow Pkwy. It's already a 4 lane limited access divided highway right to the beach. There's plenty of room to make a modern 3 lane each way highway to the Northern and LIE.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:32 PM

239 posts, read 232,781 times
I support Stamford to Port Washington. I know it is unlikely but would make a lot of sense.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:44 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,344,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalalally View Post
Who in the hell would want to travel 32 miles in a tunnel? I’m generally not a claustrophobic person, but that seriously would send me over the edge.
I would never. Ever.
I'm with ya. Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is horrific enough.

Old 01-20-2018, 08:15 AM

9,893 posts, read 7,238,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I'm with ya. Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel is horrific enough.
It was originally proposed as a series of bridges but the Navy wasn't crazy about the idea. Their concern was that if some spans collapsed into the water it would impede ship movements in and out of Norfolk.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:44 AM

21,792 posts, read 28,161,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geographybee View Post
I support Stamford to Port Washington. I know it is unlikely but would make a lot of sense.
Yikes. Bad idea. Stamford has some of the worst traffic in the tri state already. Could never handle more.

Old 01-20-2018, 05:42 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,591,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yes, but the one that long are rail tunnels. The longest vehicular tunnel is less than 16 miles long. It is the Laerdal Tunnel in Norway. Jay
True. The channel tunnel (UK/France) is roughly the same distance (30 miles) and you put your car on a train to go through. You make reservations. It's expensive. It's not for commuters. Not to say it cant' be different for this one but a drive through tunnel of this length is certainly not common in Europe, nor does it even exist in Europe. Or anywhere in the world. Very far from it.

Just last week, talk about a possible driving bridge or bridge / tunnel combination was floated by the UK government. Won't happen for a very long time if it ever does happen. No design even is out there but experts on these things say man made islands would address some of the safety issues, allow stop offs, etc. It's just the dreaming stage at this point.

And the longest tunnel in the alps is a mere 10 miles long.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:11 PM

37,233 posts, read 39,509,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_because View Post
True. The channel tunnel (UK/France) is roughly the same distance (30 miles) and you put your car on a train to go through. You make reservations. It's expensive. It's not for commuters. Not to say it cant' be different for this one but a drive through tunnel of this length is certainly not common in Europe, nor does it even exist in Europe. Or anywhere in the world. Very far from it.

Just last week, talk about a possible driving bridge or bridge / tunnel combination was floated by the UK government. Won't happen for a very long time if it ever does happen. No design even is out there but experts on these things say man made islands would address some of the safety issues, allow stop offs, etc. It's just the dreaming stage at this point.

And the longest tunnel in the alps is a mere 10 miles long.
Which is to say this is not a great idea as a car tunnel. A rail with possibly a cars on rail platform service? Maybe. LIRR does have electrified branches going to or close to its northern shore. An electrified train has a lot less to deal with in terms of exhaust than a diesel train or oodles of car traffic.

Old 06-06-2018, 02:31 PM

990 posts, read 604,028 times
This isn't going to happen, nor should it ever.

The ecological effects would be devastating.

CT's identity WOULD forever be changed- and it would be far worse.

No, I want the millions of annoying suburbanites of Long Island as far away as possible. Push them out to sea XD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut