Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 05:22 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
25 of 50 = middle of pack

33 of 50 = 2 in 3 above you, putrid
That is your opinion. It is still middle of the pack. Not saying it is great but hardly as bad as some here claim. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 05:40 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,951,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
That is your opinion. It is still middle of the pack. Not saying it is great but hardly as bad as some here claim. Jay
I think the problem is that the state has been moving in the wrong direction. We seem to be resting on past wealth, and the belief that we are somehow better than other people and not subject to the same economic laws that the rest of the country and world are.

Don't get me wrong. I love this state. I moved here from New York almost 23 years ago. But I have sadly watched the state move in the wrong direction all this time, adopting many of the bad ideas that forced me to leave New York.

Connecticut's past strength was that it was a lower tax haven between 2 high tax states - New York and Massachusetts, and was well positioned to pick up wealth that spilled over from those states. Now it seems that Massachusetts, which used to be called "Taxachusetts," has a lower tax burden than we do, and we're pulling even with New York.

Not only have our taxes increased a lot, but there doesn't seem to be much of a return for it. Our roads are fairly poor, Metro North service has gone downhill, etc. I don't think people necessarily mind paying for a good value, but it doesn't seem we're getting a good value at the state level at least.

My own theory is that when places reach a certain population density, people look at things differently, and it breeds a different kind of politics. Rural areas can just expand, without interfering with what is already there, and there leads to different political philosophies than prevail in areas where you can't expand something without taking from something else.

Roads are a good example. Fairfield County has no north-south highway, and it's not really because of lack of money. Populated areas don't want more highways, and will do everything they can to block road expansion. We are set in our ways, and there is a mentality of reflexively opposing any type of change without even understanding it.

The famous Walgreen's fiasco in the Stratfield section of Fairfield is a perfect example. People loved the Stratfield Market and so did I, but we can't dictate to a landlord whom they have to rent to. They secured Walgreen's as a tenant, and the neighborhood did everything to block Walgreen's. Now the building is an eyesore, and has been vacant for 12 years. Is that a better outcome than having a Walgreen's? Underneath it all, I think the real reason people opposed Walgreen's was that they were afraid it would attract people from Bridgeport. But I think it's far enough away from bad sections of Bridgeport for that not to be a big concern, at least for me.

This state seems to be like the rich family whose wealth has peaked, and is now declining as the younger generation spends money and has less and less regard for the people who actually earned it. Things can seem fine for a while, since it takes time to burn away a good amount of wealth, but we're moving in the wrong direction and eventually we may not be the rich state we think we are if we keep on the same path.

I don't have all the hate for Malloy that some people do. Some of it is irrational, IMO. But the bottom line that he inherited a deteriorating situation and did far too little to change the trajectory of it. His coziness with the public unions made it hard for him to push for and secure really necessary changes, and the can has been kicked down the road for another 8 years. He made a few small steps, but mostly he did too little. On the face of it, it is absurd that the state government is beholden to the people who work for it, and that is effectively the situation we have, with the taxpayers and residents of the state subordinate to the state's employees.

I disliked his habit of butting into the business of other states while his own is so poorly run. I think it's bad form. He doesn't have a likable personality. Still, most other people of his party would have been even worse.

We'll see what comes next. It is possible that I may be forced to move out of Connecticut once I retire for financial reasons. I would prefer not to, but if we keep moving in the same direction we have been headed, I may not have a choice.

Old 02-24-2018, 07:03 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,185,943 times
Dazzle, a big +1 from me.
The Walgreens fiasco in Fairfield!
Reading from all the protesters about what business should open. Did any of them put their money where their mouth was!?

Old 02-24-2018, 10:16 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
How is math opinion?

Rank 33 =

32 above you

17 below you

Shouldn't we expect a higher ranking than 33?

Old 02-24-2018, 10:20 PM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
i don't have all the hate for malloy that some people do. Some of it is irrational, imo. But the bottom line that he inherited a deteriorating situation and did far too little to change the trajectory of it. his coziness with the public unions made it hard for him to push for and secure really necessary changes, and the can has been kicked down the road for another 8 years. He made a few small steps, but mostly he did too little. On the face of it, it is absurd that the state government is beholden to the people who work for it, and that is effectively the situation we have, with the taxpayers and residents of the state subordinate to the state's employees.

i disliked his habit of butting into the business of other states while his own is so poorly run. I think it's bad form. He doesn't have a likable personality. Still, most other people of his party would have been even worse.

bingo

Old 02-25-2018, 06:04 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:

I don't have all the hate for Malloy that some people do. Some of it is irrational, IMO. But the bottom line that he inherited a deteriorating situation and did far too little to change the trajectory of it. His coziness with the public unions made it hard for him to push for and secure really necessary changes, and the can has been kicked down the road for another 8 years.
Malloy threatened to layoff 4500 state employees and actually followed thru with laying off 2900. I don't think he's cozy with the unions at all and I doubt the unions like him.

This story is from Oct 2016 confirming the numbers

https://ctmirror.org/2016/10/20/ct-l...s-took-a-toll/

The Department of Labor reported that Connecticut lost 5,200 jobs last month, including 2,900 from state government. The department also revised its August report from 300 jobs gained to 300 positions lost.

And before you jump on the pension wagon, the state pension system has been changed for all new hires as of July 2011. I have posted the website here numerous times, so any one can go look it up and see how sweet those benefits are. I will save you some time and tell you they are not as sweet as most believe.

The days of sweet benefits are over unless you're a teacher in Wilton. I heard from a good source they are getting 1.5 million dollar pensions after 20 years of service.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled state union and state employee bashing.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:43 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Malloy threatened to layoff 4500 state employees and actually followed thru with laying off 2900. I don't think he's cozy with the unions at all and I doubt the unions like him.

This story is from Oct 2016 confirming the numbers

https://ctmirror.org/2016/10/20/ct-l...s-took-a-toll/

The Department of Labor reported that Connecticut lost 5,200 jobs last month, including 2,900 from state government. The department also revised its August report from 300 jobs gained to 300 positions lost.

And before you jump on the pension wagon, the state pension system has been changed for all new hires as of July 2011. I have posted the website here numerous times, so any one can go look it up and see how sweet those benefits are. I will save you some time and tell you they are not as sweet as most believe.

The days of sweet benefits are over unless you're a teacher in Wilton. I heard from a good source they are getting 1.5 million dollar pensions after 20 years of service.

You may now return to your regularly scheduled state union and state employee bashing.
You are a salty one. Many districts routinely pay out in excess of 1mm to retiring educators over their non-working years despite putting <$200 thousand in.

It really doesn’t matter that the pension system changed for all new employees since 2011. What is the ratio of existing employees and retirees to post 2011 FTEs? 100:1? Malloy has the opportunity to extend LOS or modify payout ratios but chose insolvency.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:36 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
I think the problem is that the state has been moving in the wrong direction. We seem to be resting on past wealth, and the belief that we are somehow better than other people and not subject to the same economic laws that the rest of the country and world are.

Don't get me wrong. I love this state. I moved here from New York almost 23 years ago. But I have sadly watched the state move in the wrong direction all this time, adopting many of the bad ideas that forced me to leave New York.

Connecticut's past strength was that it was a lower tax haven between 2 high tax states - New York and Massachusetts, and was well positioned to pick up wealth that spilled over from those states. Now it seems that Massachusetts, which used to be called "Taxachusetts," has a lower tax burden than we do, and we're pulling even with New York.

Not only have our taxes increased a lot, but there doesn't seem to be much of a return for it. Our roads are fairly poor, Metro North service has gone downhill, etc. I don't think people necessarily mind paying for a good value, but it doesn't seem we're getting a good value at the state level at least.

My own theory is that when places reach a certain population density, people look at things differently, and it breeds a different kind of politics. Rural areas can just expand, without interfering with what is already there, and there leads to different political philosophies than prevail in areas where you can't expand something without taking from something else.

Roads are a good example. Fairfield County has no north-south highway, and it's not really because of lack of money. Populated areas don't want more highways, and will do everything they can to block road expansion. We are set in our ways, and there is a mentality of reflexively opposing any type of change without even understanding it.

The famous Walgreen's fiasco in the Stratfield section of Fairfield is a perfect example. People loved the Stratfield Market and so did I, but we can't dictate to a landlord whom they have to rent to. They secured Walgreen's as a tenant, and the neighborhood did everything to block Walgreen's. Now the building is an eyesore, and has been vacant for 12 years. Is that a better outcome than having a Walgreen's? Underneath it all, I think the real reason people opposed Walgreen's was that they were afraid it would attract people from Bridgeport. But I think it's far enough away from bad sections of Bridgeport for that not to be a big concern, at least for me.

This state seems to be like the rich family whose wealth has peaked, and is now declining as the younger generation spends money and has less and less regard for the people who actually earned it. Things can seem fine for a while, since it takes time to burn away a good amount of wealth, but we're moving in the wrong direction and eventually we may not be the rich state we think we are if we keep on the same path.

I don't have all the hate for Malloy that some people do. Some of it is irrational, IMO. But the bottom line that he inherited a deteriorating situation and did far too little to change the trajectory of it. His coziness with the public unions made it hard for him to push for and secure really necessary changes, and the can has been kicked down the road for another 8 years. He made a few small steps, but mostly he did too little. On the face of it, it is absurd that the state government is beholden to the people who work for it, and that is effectively the situation we have, with the taxpayers and residents of the state subordinate to the state's employees.

I disliked his habit of butting into the business of other states while his own is so poorly run. I think it's bad form. He doesn't have a likable personality. Still, most other people of his party would have been even worse.

We'll see what comes next. It is possible that I may be forced to move out of Connecticut once I retire for financial reasons. I would prefer not to, but if we keep moving in the same direction we have been headed, I may not have a choice.
This has to be the best post I’ve seen yet on this topic. +1

Old 02-25-2018, 07:36 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,836,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
You are a salty one. Many districts routinely pay out in excess of 1mm to retiring educators over their non-working years despite putting <$200 thousand in.

It really doesn’t matter that the pension system changed for all new employees since 2011. What is the ratio of existing employees and retirees to post 2011 FTEs? 100:1? Malloy has the opportunity to extend LOS or modify payout ratios but chose insolvency.
I don't know what LOS means, but if you think the Govt can change the value of pension benefits After those benefits have already been earned and employees are vested, I have some great land in Florida for sale very cheap. I will send you the details. You can get in the ground floor now !!! You can get outta commie loving Wilton with those million dollar+ pensions.

Despite all the crying and whining here the state of CT or any other state will never file for bankruptcy and be relieved of pension benefits that are owed which I assume is the end game. The most basic reason for this is state Govt has the power to create, enforce, and collect tax(es). A private business does not have that power.

Maybe you can find some more talking points here;

https://www.cbia.com/

Old 02-25-2018, 08:00 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,170,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
I don't know what LOS means, but if you think the Govt can change the value of pension benefits After those benefits have already been earned and employees are vested, I have some great land in Florida for sale very cheap. I will send you the details. You can get in the ground floor now !!! You can get outta commie loving Wilton with those million dollar+ pensions.

Despite all the crying and whining here the state of CT or any other state will never file for bankruptcy and be relieved of pension benefits that are owed which I assume is the end game. The most basic reason for this is state Govt has the power to create, enforce, and collect tax(es). A private business does not have that power.

Maybe you can find some more talking points here;

https://www.cbia.com/
Stop assuming you know what i mean. Awfully snarky yet cannot find the courage to look up length of service (“LOS”). Same with building an Excel table that would show compounded benefits accumlated. Bankruptcy doesn’t wipe the slate clean - it’s a renegotiation which seems sensible in light of making ponzi promises. So uninformed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut