Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 11:59 AM

34,970 posts, read 57,045,368 times

Advertisements

Yale New Haven Hospital has been named the 20th Best Hospital in the country by US News & World Report. It is a great honor to be included in this group which includes hospitals like the Mayo Clinic, Mass General and the Cleveland Clinic. Furthermore our state is within a 2 hour drive of five of the top hospitals on this list (Mass General, New York Presbyterian, NYU Langhorn, Bringham & Woman’s and Mount Sinai). No wonder our Connecticut ranks so highly in health. Jay

https://patch.com/connecticut/newhav...-news-rankings
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 12:05 PM

4,469 posts, read 3,365,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Yale New Haven Hospital has been named the 20th Best Hospital in the country by US News & World Report. It is a great honor to be included in this group which includes hospitals like the Mayo Clinic, Mass General and the Cleveland Clinic. Furthermore our state is within a 2 hour drive of five of the top hospitals on this list (Mass General, New York Presbyterian, NYU Langhorn, Bringham & Woman’s and Mount Sinai). No wonder our Connecticut ranks so highly in health. Jay

OK now I can be a CT cheerleader on this one.

This is one of the reasons I am staying in CT for retirement.....healthcare. I probably would not be alive if not for my great Surgeons at Mount Sinai Hospital (#14) in NYC and our own Yale New Haven Hospital (tied for #20).

Old 07-30-2019, 01:04 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,969,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

OK now I can be a CT cheerleader on this one.

This is one of the reasons I am staying in CT for retirement.....healthcare. I probably would not be alive if not for my great Surgeons at Mount Sinai Hospital (#14) in NYC and our own Yale New Haven Hospital (tied for #20).
My parents are retired and a few years back, my mom broke her knee at their condo in Naples, FL where they spend each winter. But, she was struggling down in Florida with recovering from the injury. When they returned from Florida, she saw a doctor up here and he told her that the way her knee was treated in Florida hasn't been used in this part of the country in over 20 years. And, Naples is not exactly a low-end city in Florida. (wikipedia had them #26 out of 887 towns in Florida for median income)

Old 07-30-2019, 01:19 PM

4,469 posts, read 3,365,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJeffCT View Post
My parents are retired and a few years back, my mom broke her knee at their condo in Naples, FL where they spend each winter. But, she was struggling down in Florida with recovering from the injury. When they returned from Florida, she saw a doctor up here and he told her that the way her knee was treated in Florida hasn't been used in this part of the country in over 20 years. And, Naples is not exactly a low-end city in Florida. (wikipedia had them #26 out of 887 towns in Florida for median income)
My aunt and uncle moved down to Naples FL. My uncle got cancer. My aunt said the cancer was in remission but he died of pneumonia. She swears that if she was up here in CT her husband would still be alive and that they didn't catch the pneumonia, treat it in time/properly. She lives in Naples which is one of the most high end towns in the country. I figured she is saying that because she is upset about losing her husband. I just assumed Naples would have some of the best healthcare in FL but maybe she was correct about her assumptions.

She wanted to take him back home to CT and stay with one of her children for his treatment but he didn't want to do that.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:22 PM

4,716 posts, read 5,969,555 times
Quote:
My aunt and uncle moved down to Naples FL. My uncle got cancer. My aunt said the cancer was in remission but he died of pneumonia. She swears that if she was up here in CT her husband would still be alive and that they didn't catch the pneumonia, treat it in time/properly. She lives in Naples which is one of the most high end towns in the country. I figured she is saying that because she is upset about losing her husband. I just assumed Naples would have some of the best healthcare in FL but maybe she was correct about her assumptions.

She wanted to take him back home to CT and stay with one of her children for his treatment but he didn't want to do that.
I'm very sorry for your loss.

Old 07-31-2019, 02:10 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,242,053 times
I was happy to see Yale in that list! A few of the hospitals I've done work for (and one I turned down a job for) and my current hospital are also on that list.

As for Florida--I always send my parents to the Mayo Clinic down there, although it's a bit of a drive.

Old 07-31-2019, 04:40 PM

5,104 posts, read 4,844,487 times
Quote:

Still doesn't justify the high taxes in CT. When will the Democrats ever learn?

I can get a triple heart by pass in South Carolina for 60% of the cost at Yale. Plus my property taxes will be cut in half.

Old 07-31-2019, 06:37 PM

Quote:

I don’t want to make this a bash Florida medical care but what happened to a family member there is downright disgusting. Years of misdiagnosis and treatments and refusals to test for the most obvious of illnesses (Lyme). Finally after more than five years of dead ends, they tested for Lyme and guess what? Oh yeah it is Lyme (but they don’t have Lyme in Florida). Unfortunately by then she was severely debilitated and not able recover so now her quality of life is pretty bad. Can’t work. Any savings are gone. Lives on disability now. Very sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephy0519 View Post
As for Florida--I always send my parents to the Mayo Clinic down there, although it's a bit of a drive.
Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville is probably the best hospital in Florida. I have a family member that is a doctor there and he says it’s great. He was a medical student and doctor at Yale and loved it there but thought he wanted to be a department head. Went to two different hospitals and was appalled at the differences from Yale. Said it’s hard to work at lesser hospitals once you worked at the best. At Mayo he found it to be similar to Yale so he is happy but still thinks he would have been better off if he stayed at Yale. I know his wife wishes he had. Jay

Old 07-31-2019, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGompers View Post
Still doesn't justify the high taxes in CT. When will the Democrats ever learn?

I can get a triple heart by pass in South Carolina for 60% of the cost at Yale. Plus my property taxes will be cut in half.
Yale scores a 51.7/100 on the US News rankings. The best hospital for cardiology in South Carolina scores 41.8 (MUSC Health-University Medical Center in Charleston). That’s a significant difference. I am not sure what hospital you are looking at but I doubt it has the same quality of care or survival rates as Yale which is why it scores so high. It’s your choice if you want to take a chance.

The other thing to note that we are pretty close to several other highly rated hospitals for cardiac care. The No. 4, 5 and 6 (New York Presbyterian, Mass General and Mount Sinai) are not far so you also could go there.

I would also like to point out to you that the cost of medical care at private hospitals is not controlled by the state or by the Democrats. It is very complex and off topic to go into here. Jay

Last edited by JayCT; 07-31-2019 at 07:04 PM..

Old 08-01-2019, 11:11 AM

1,440 posts, read 1,242,053 times
Quote:
I don’t want to make this a bash Florida medical care but what happened to a family member there is downright disgusting. Years of misdiagnosis and treatments and refusals to test for the most obvious of illnesses (Lyme). Finally after more than five years of dead ends, they tested for Lyme and guess what? Oh yeah it is Lyme (but they don’t have Lyme in Florida). Unfortunately by then she was severely debilitated and not able recover so now her quality of life is pretty bad. Can’t work. Any savings are gone. Lives on disability now. Very sad.

Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville is probably the best hospital in Florida. I have a family member that is a doctor there and he says it’s great. He was a medical student and doctor at Yale and loved it there but thought he wanted to be a department head. Went to two different hospitals and was appalled at the differences from Yale. Said it’s hard to work at lesser hospitals once you worked at the best. At Mayo he found it to be similar to Yale so he is happy but still thinks he would have been better off if he stayed at Yale. I know his wife wishes he had. Jay
Totally understand all of this.

When I am a FTE (directly employeed) I have worked for some of those top 20 hospitals (and will never leave the one I'm at currently...number 6!) and I have also done consulting work for smaller, lesser hospitals. The differences are IMMENSE. Sadly...it often comes down to money. Hospitals that are willing to pay more, will often attract better care, more specializations, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut