Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 05:12 PM

893 posts, read 791,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
Tizz - I know Catholic hospitals won't perform tubal ligation (tubes tied) or vasectomy, I am assuming this is since the church is against birth control. They also won't give the morning after pill to rape victims (or anyone).

On topic, I have never heard a bad word about Hartford Hospital or St. Francis and I have a couple close friends in the medical field that work in Hartford. I would feel comfortable at either.
Oh a hospital that is pro life ....shame
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 07:10 PM

31 posts, read 84,942 times
Oh I am sorry....Commuting to downtown Hartford. Where in Simsbury is it easier for the commute?

Old 04-18-2008, 05:42 AM

311 posts, read 1,824,362 times
Probably if you can be closer to the bloomfield side of Simsbury the commute might not be as bad. I think your better bets are possibly west hartford? Wethersfield is also nice and the commute wouldn't be too bad.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:20 AM

625 posts, read 2,050,699 times
If you're on the Avon border or the Bloomfield border, that would be the shortest commute to downtown Hartford from Simsbury. West Simsbury is a nice area, but the commute will take significantly longer, so you might want to try and avoid that.

Old 04-18-2008, 06:37 AM

So would the commute from Avon be shorter than Simsbury no matter where you live in Avon?
Thanks!

Old 04-18-2008, 06:54 AM

Not necessarily. The main, essentially only, road into Hartford from Avon is Rte 44. Depending on how far you end up out in Avon, your commute could be longer than parts of Simsbury. For example, if you live in Avon out near the Canton border, your commute could be longer than if you lived in Simsbury between Rte 44 and Latimer Lane. We're talking about 10 or 15 minutes longer, depending on the day and time. It's the one main road in and out that's the issue.

What would you or your spouse consider a reasonable commute time? Maybe it would be best to define that first and then you can map out the places that would be in that driving distance.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:15 AM

We would really like to stay under 30 minutes. He would be traveling during the peak times in the morning and a little after peak for evening. SO how long would the commute be if you lived in Avon or Simsbury close to Rte. 44? Is there lots of housing close to Rte 44? (like under $800,000.00)

Old 04-18-2008, 09:04 AM

You'll be right around that 30 minute ceiling, give or take 5 minutes. There are plenty of homes and subdivisions off of Rte 44 within the price range you mentioned.

Have you considered West Hartford? That price range is doable in WH too and commute time would be less, as there are multiple paths you can take into downtown. However, you may be favoring Avon and Simsbury because of larger lots/more rural feel?

Old 04-18-2008, 11:23 AM

639 posts, read 2,711,626 times
The Hartford region enjoy 3 very good well known hospitals. Hartford Hospital, St.Fransis and UConn medical center are always ranked nationally. This isn't to mention the smaller hospitals like Middlesex, New Britain, Rockville, and Manchester that all perform well. Also the Connecticut childrens hospital is great in Hartford.

As for professional sports, we have UConn basketball and football which is entertaining and great history. Hartford once had the NHL but moved down to Carolina to do worse financially. There is also the Travelers championship in Cromwell, once called the Canon Greater Hartford Open. The tournament annualy ranks second in attendance after Phoenix Open (FBR Open now).

Hartford will get another pro team eventually, probably the NHL again or possibly the NBA since the state has no real big ties to the Celtics or Knicks.

The Patriots, Red Sox, and Yankees are all within 2-2.5 hours away for games.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:18 PM

Amy***
I do like the more rural feeling of Simsbury and Avon but mostly I like a newer home. Not that I don't LOVE the look of the older homes in West Hartford. I just feel like the newer homes are more energy efficient.

UCONN99...

Thanks for the sports information. We have two teenaged boys and they are really into sports. They are very used to living in Tampa and having easy access to professional football, hockey, and arena football as well as all the college sports close by.

Maybe someone with kids in high school could shed some light on high school sports. Do the high schools have a tennis team? Are there any tennis clubs in the simsbury/avon area?
THANKS AGAIN! You all are great!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut