Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2021, 10:21 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,231,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I didn't want to post a ton of articles but trend is happening in Germany and the UK too......may or may not be, time will tell.
I’m not doubting cases are rising slightly in some areas of the US and world because you can’t debate actual numbers (you can debate validity of tests though), but the media has been horrifically controlling this and has a big part in how local governments respond to it. It comes in the way of fear and shaming, even when post shaming governmental actions make no sense.

Don’t be fooled, guys. Media is for profit. There’s a method to their madness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2021, 11:09 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,209,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Give me a break. The “not surprised because they didn’t follow guidelines” is also drivel. California did. Their cases rose significantly. Connecticut did. They experienced a huge spike in the fall. Same with New York. People need to stop believing what the media tells them to believe.
I wasn't following the media on what I said.......I agree with you though.........but I was stating what I hear from family members.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:20 AM

Quote:

Masks etc. may not be perfect, but do you really think we'd have the same or less numbers than we have now if we did nothing? Especially in terms of overwhelming hospitals?
Some will disagree on here but I can't see how we would have the same or less if we did nothing. Do you mean from the beginning? I am a believer in masks helping slow the spread but this virus already had a foothold here long before anything was first reported and anything done about it. What if we all started masks when this was first being reported in Wuhan? Maybe if we started in January as a precaution, then I feel the numbers would have been far less. I think by February it was too late. I had a bad feeling in January(when I started this thread) that things were going to explode here? How could it not? All these international flights into NY and NY and CT......Subways.....Metro North......Westchester and CT to NY commuters......recipe for exactly what happened. So I do often wonder what the numbers would be like if we did what I mentioned above. We all have our theories.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Some will disagree on here but I can't see how we would have the same or less if we did nothing. Do you mean from the beginning? I am a believer in masks helping slow the spread but this virus already had a foothold here long before anything was first reported and anything done about it. What if we all started masks when this was first being reported in Wuhan? Maybe if we started in January as a precaution, then I feel the numbers would have been far less. I think by February it was too late. I had a bad feeling in January(when I started this thread) that things were going to explode here? How could it not? All these international flights into NY and NY and CT......Subways.....Metro North......Westchester and CT to NY commuters......recipe for exactly what happened. So I do often wonder what the numbers would be like if we did what I mentioned above. We all have our theories.
To be fair, mask usage was completely unfathomable to anyone in this country in January. It was surreal, at first, walking into a store seeing everyone wear masks. The president, at the time, attempted to ban international travel to certain countries but opposing party politicians screamed racism and xenophobia. Had everyone been on board with that in February, we could have slowed its arrival to the USA and had more time to prepare. Unfortunately, being the country we are in terms of frequent international travel and global economic connection, its arrival was inevitable.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
To be fair, mask usage was completely unfathomable to anyone in this country in January. It was surreal, at first, walking into a store seeing everyone wear masks. The president, at the time, attempted to ban international travel to certain countries but opposing party politicians screamed racism and xenophobia. Had everyone been on board with that in February, we could have slowed its arrival to the USA and had more time to prepare. Unfortunately, being the country we are in terms of frequent international travel and global economic connection, its arrival was inevitable.
No doubt and I agree again with you. I remember when it was first mentioned there was one case in the US, I knew NY would explode soon. At that point I had no idea that the pandemic task force previously put into place was dismantled. From that point I knew we were screwed. It became exactly what I imagined.
I was just on the phone with one my upper bosses, a cool one, discussing how bad business is. I was predicting a rebound end of Spring and swinging the other way by end of summer.....now we are not so sure.
Besides the healthcare issues, the economic one is going to linger. The car business is tough as it is ,a pandemic is not helping anyone in most lines of work. I remember that day that Cuomo made workforces reduced by 75%.....I watched 28 people get let go in under an hour. For nothing they did wrong. The shock and sadness on the faces was terrible.....the fear of not knowing if any of us would ever see each other again was awful. We ran the place for months with me in the parts dept, the service manager, the accounting dept manager and the general manager and a few staff members. I kept 3 out of 8 employees. Then when business started to rebound we slowly brought people back only to have it all tank again in the fall. I don't agree with the business shutdowns and often wonder if it hurt too much to fix. Look at all the restaurants that are gone or still struggling. I am certainly not eating in a restaurant anytime soon...but we do take out every Saturday night from our favorite places. Wow....I am going on. Sorry. You get the point.

Old 02-19-2021, 02:32 PM

11,305 posts, read 18,902,516 times
Quote:
The president, at the time, attempted to ban international travel to certain countries but opposing party politicians screamed racism and xenophobia.
Maybe that's because a week before that he told all those "opposing party politicians" that the whole thing was a hoax created by them, and also when you try to ban some countries and not all of them (i.e. the UK, and was initially hesistant to ban the rest of Europe) what does that look like?......I'll give him credit for "Operation Warp Speed" but almost everything else he did made it worse.

Cuomo may have messed up big time on the nursing homes and even his brother's CNN is now chastising him for that, but at least he got it right that banning only China and not Europe didn't help.

Old 02-19-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Maybe that's because a week before that he told all those "opposing party politicians" that the whole thing was a hoax created by them, and also when you try to ban some countries and not all of them (i.e. the UK, and was initially hesistant to ban the rest of Europe) what does that look like?......I'll give him credit for "Operation Warp Speed" but almost everything else he did made it worse.

Cuomo may have messed up big time on the nursing homes and even his brother's CNN is now chastising him for that, but at least he got it right that banning only China and not Europe didn't help.
First, it’s been widely reported by the media and even liberal fact checkers that the president specifically noted democratic criticism of him was the hoax, not the virus. “Our reading of these comments is that Trump is saying Democratic criticism of him is a hoax, not that the coronavirus doesn’t exist or wasn’t real. We’ve been unable to find other comments of Trump suggesting that.” -Politifact. So, let’s put it to rest.

And, just to clarify, you’re saying politicians opposed his international COVID travel restrictions because he said the above? One has literally nothing to do with the other. They were just hell-bent on opposing every single thing he did. You’re giving the February 2020 Democrats way too many free passes in their failure to act because of their delusional hatred for the [former] President.

And because of them, the virus was given an open door to spread unchecked in NY, which negatively affected life in CT - in a very big way.

Old 02-19-2021, 06:58 PM

6,921 posts, read 3,757,734 times
Quote:

He jumped the shark on Jan 6 so you probably don't have to worry anymore but I specifically remember the cries of xenophobia on the Yahoo home page cover around this time last year. Should have banned them all.

An expat Londoner who just moved here last month told me no one wears a mask in the UK. They're defiant as hell. London went on complete lockdown, only allowed to leave the house for 2 hours/day.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:04 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,708,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
He jumped the shark on Jan 6 so you probably don't have to worry anymore but I specifically remember the cries of xenophobia on the Yahoo home page cover around this time last year. Should have banned them all.

An expat Londoner who just moved here last month told me no one wears a mask in the UK. They're defiant as hell. London went on complete lockdown, only allowed to leave the house for 2 hours/day.
Not quite. The entire country of England has been on strict lockdown for quite a while now. All schools are closed too. Most do wear masks but they have a nutcase leader who wouldn't wear a mask and thought it was a hoax until he nearly died of it. This is their second major strict lockdown. Scotland is in strict lockdown too and wanting to close the England-Scotland border. England is putting people who come from countries that have certain variant strains into hotels for two weeks with huge fines for breaking the rules.

England has been pretty lax about COVID--to their own detriment. People traveled all over the world this past summer in the middle of the pandemic, mask wearing was barely even thought of. Their leadership has made the people confused because there's a lot of talk and rumors and then they never do anything or they do it way too late. Even the citizens say it's too late when the government finally gets around to doing something. When you have a leader who is incompetent, the disease is allowed to spread and the people don't take things seriously.

In CT, we up in Hartford Cty were lucky the first time because the disease came in from NYC and hit that end of the state hard. We only have one small airport up here but little by little we got hit too. By the time we got the second wave this fall, things were more widespread.

Old 02-20-2021, 05:15 AM

31 posts, read 13,805 times
Relevant paper to this discussion just came out in Cell: https://www.cell.com/action/showPdf?...2821%2900222-1. Biophysical characterization, by Biolayer Interferometry, finds a ~7-fold increase in affinity of Spike protein Receptor Binding Domain (RBD) Y501 mutant for ACE2, over wild-type (N501): mutant RBD Y501 presents 10 nM Kd, compared to 75 nM Kd of wild-type RBD N501.

The crystal structures of wild-type and mutant RBD in complex with ACE2 reveals the molecular bases of respective macromolecular recognition events. The tyrosine side chain occupies a site formed by ACE2 Y41 and K353, and the phenyl moiety engages in "edge-to-face" pi-pi stacking and cation-pi interactions with Y41 and K353 side chains, respectively. Add in hydrophobic contacts with the alkyl group of lysine, and this explains the increase in ACE2 affinity. BLI also reveals insights into the kinetics of the interaction, largely driven by the change in off-rate of mutant. In wild-type RBD recognition of ACE2, the positions of the of the hydroxyl groups of the side chains of RBD N501 and ACE2 Y41 would not permit hydrogen bond formation, given bond angle, and so only modest electrostatic interactions would be ablated by N501Y mutation.

The data on neutralizing antibody activity shows variation in potencies; in one case, attenuation of >10-fold. The authors cite that "widespread escape" was not noted, crucially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut